Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I usually stick to the bombers as you know but I think these things are quite sweet.Still a few bits to sort out-Like it shouldn't have a CB450K1 horn on it but she's passed the MOT got a registration number & is on the road where she should be.To be honest with the SS pipes & the revs on sounds better than a bomber but not sure about having to use that second gear up hills. :( :( Mind you you do see a bit more. :D :D Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love it. I wanna marry it. Is it illegal to marry machines?

*checks state and local laws regarding mechanical matrimony*

Nope, didn't see anything in there. Will your bike marry me? :oops: :D

Wait... I'm already married. Dammit. :lol:

·
Registered
357 Posts
J. Thompson #5150 said:
I love it. I wanna marry it. Is it illegal to marry machines?

*checks state and local laws regarding mechanical matrimony*

Nope, didn't see anything in there. Will your bike marry me? :oops: :D

Wait... I'm already married. Dammit. :lol:
What he said :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Outstanding. Nice to see the before, too. Thanks for sharing your bikes.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
That is one really smart looking bike. Is that a three wheeler I see in the background?
That and the other bikes makes you a very busy man.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That yellow bowl of custard in the background is my friends 4 wheel cinquchento type thingy.Yes being retired the bikes take all my time.I never get bored or wonder what to do next.In fact I have vowed to do a bit more riding and less restoring in the next few years but somehow I just can't seem to keep away from the garage :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice lot you have there ;)
If you did try to do more riding, you'd probably loose a lot of time just trying to decide which bike to ride :D I have enough trouble deciding which of my three to ride :?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow ! :shock:
I don't like you.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

Nice to see another CB72 /77 enthusiast here. Nice CB72 you have there (according to the badges).
The CB72's are very rare in the US, because the small price differences between the CB72 and the CB77 the CB77 was sold much better. In the Netherlands (were I live), it's the other way around. Many CB72's, but very few CB77 around.

You did a nice resto, bike looks original and period correct. Is it a '63 ? (or '64)

I'm glad my country is flat, so no hills to climb in second gear, but on the other had, I tuned my CB72'67 mildly, so it runs strong and is doing 150 km / hour in top gear (almost as fast as my recently acquired bomber).
My CB72 has around 30 Hp at the rear wheel, at least on the latest dyno run. My bomber has 32.5 HP at the rear wheel on the latest dyno run. That means that the bomber has "only" 2 Hp more at the wheel then the CB72.

But the bomber reaches max torque at 2700 rpm and has a real different character then the high revving CB72,

Jensen

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jensen,
This Cb72 is 1962 manufacture with the finer the plug threads and no primary chain tensioner.I had it checked by the VJMC when I first got all the three in picture.At the moment I have rebuilt it with a later year cylinder head with the coarser plug threads just to put her on the road.In the meantime I have had the valve seats recut and have been doing a bit of work on the original cylinder head which does not have any damaged fins like the one presently fitted.I've not yet looked at availability of the earlier plugs but do hope in the future to put her back with this cylinder head on as I am told the early CB72's were 10/15mph faster than the later ones.Probably something to do with that weight/thingy in centre of camshafts which is called???.Still learning about cb72's but one thing I have found is that the front end slides and sort of moves away from you remarkably easily if it hits a patch of OIL!!! I managed to save the bike but spent 3 weeks on crutches nursing my knee.Funny how bike restorers always want to save their bikes and not think about themselves but pleased to say not a scratch on her. :D :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I can fully understand you predicament, I am hoping to retire in the next few months and am lining up a few projects.
I always seem to want to ride my latest restoration and the others just sit gathering dust.
Hope to have my 450 on the road in next few days.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

Are you sure the cam sprocket belongs to the bike ? The weight on the sprocket works as a damper on the vibrations of the 360 degree engine, that why I'm so curious. In my knowledge the dreams only had these sprockets (with the extra weight). Is it a 360 degree crank in your CB? or a 180 degree crank ? Is it a CP model, what is the engine number ? what is the frame number ? Does it has one or two points ? I thought I'd seen everything. According to the headlight and speedo, this is a late 1962 issue, because the early 1962 did have the aluminum bezel. It has the early type steel forks, so I figured out it would be a 1963 / 1964 issue.

I have different CB72's (two on wheels, rest in boxes), and the CB72 '62 is indeed faster. It doesn't have anything to do with the cam sprocket, but everything with the head, pistons, and mufflers.

The early bikes had high compression pistons, and in combination with the early head, the compression was significant higher then the later ones. The early bike also had different cams. As usual, every pro has it's con, and that is that the early bikes have a real small power band, the later ones are way more civilized. The early mufflers (especially the stainless ones) are much better then the later ones, letting the bike "breath" much better.

The early bikes also had the PW22OV carbs, and in my opinion a better match to the mufflers than the later square ones.

My CB72 '67 has the late cylinder head (bigger valves), but the early cams, early mufflers and early carbs. To get the best out of it I flowed the head, but remained the PW22OV carbs. It boost out a very decent 30 HP at the rear wheel (standard late version does 22 to 24 Hp, and an early one can reach 26 Hp. I got all these differences dyno'd, and made my CB '67 out of the best parts (early and late). It gives the bike a reasonable power band and a high max rpm. I don't have a five speed gearbox (nova), but actually, I don't miss it either, just stay in the power band and you have a real screamer.

I aways loved the CB450 K0 because of it's looks, and I finally acquired one (and a very special one to me), but the CB72 '67 gives me much more pleasure riding it fast. The CB450 isn't rev -happy at as the CB72, at least that what it try to say, but sometimes I don't listen to it, and feel the bike really doesn't like it. The CB72 is very rev happy, and asks for more time and time again.

The last few weeks, however, I more and more start to like the character of the bomber. I guess you have to get used to it. But on a twisty road, I prefer the CB72,
but when accelerating out of a corner while opening the throttle, I miss the torque of the bomber, choices, choices,

Jensen

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jensen,Not forgot to reply but doing a bit more research with a friend of mine locally known as the "honda doctor" since the 1960's as I am not that knowlegeable on cb72's.Will post reply after my hols in September. Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

No worry's, getting good info always takes time,

Jensen

·
Registered
272 Posts
If any of you move to Oregon, I'd be happy to ride some of your bikes to keep the dust off them.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Peter was in the honda business in the 1960'through to about 1995 and used to race CB450's and also his CR93 as well as all the mechanical work & shop repairs.I've now had his reply as follows so this is what I can say to date:-
I cannot be certain that the weight on sproket was used on CB72/77 although iot is likely.Certainly on the C72/77.I think it is possible as the early cams are likely to be a bit more savage and might benefit from a bit more weight which would make the action a bit smoother.
The 10mm spark plugs(C...) are definitely 1961 as that was the only year they were seen on UK ones.1962 onwards are 12mm(D...)The camshaft sproket must be tight as it relies on a taper which is tightened by the sleive nut,you need a peg spanner hinged in the middle to tighten it and a way of stopping the am from turning.
The other side has a tapered spindle which exits on the tacho drive with a 14mm nut.This spindle expands the half cam to make it fit the sprocket exactly.There must be no slack at all between the halves of the cam or it will "Chatter".
I don't think it will take any performance off the bike using the heavier sprocket.It is likely to be more robust than the later one.
Check the rivets on the item particularily the pivots for the advance weights...Might need some "thump" to make sure they are tight.
Yours hondawise Pete.
REGARDS CHRIS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts