Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got this bike a couple of weeks ago. It was reclaimed from a salvage yard about 10 year ago and was gradually been repaired and repainted until about 2 years ago. It's just been just sitting since then and so now it's mine. Less than 9,000 miles on the clock and seems to be in pretty good shape. Could still use some TLC, but I polishing is cheap if you don't mind spending the time...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Great-looking machine you've got there!

Y'know, it's funny - the CJ was marketed as a 'stripper' model of the CB, but except for the drum front brake, I like everything about it's looks better - the extended tank with the gas cap cover, the seat & tail section and the 2-into-1 exhaust.

Swap in the front disk brake, 6-speed transmission and e-start from the CB and you'd be golden.

Anyway, have fun with it!

Kirk

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, a 6-speed would be pretty nice. I plan to do a fair bit if highway riding and 5th gear just seems a bit too low at the moment. I'd be up for disc brakes as well, but I'd heard that the CBs have sticky calipers and the guy I got the bike from suggested I not do the switch. Can anyone confirm?

As for the estart, I think I'm gonna give that one a miss. I like the weight savings of not having the extra gear needed for that bad boy. :)

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Sonreir said:
Actually, a 6-speed would be pretty nice. I plan to do a fair bit if highway riding and 5th gear just seems a bit too low at the moment. I'd be up for disc brakes as well, but I'd heard that the CBs have sticky calipers and the guy I got the bike from suggested I not do the switch. Can anyone confirm?

As for the estart, I think I'm gonna give that one a miss. I like the weight savings of not having the extra gear needed for that bad boy. :)
Sticky calipers?? Never heard mention of THAT one before, nor did I ever HAVE a sticky caliper. Well, not one that was sticky AFTER I cleaned the sludge out that came with it when I got the bike... :lol:

For lots of highway riding, I'd go +1 on the front sprocket and forget about it.

And yeah, the e-start isn't a big deal either. Plus, not only the extra gear, but the starter motor itself, the cable to the battery, possibly a larger-capacity battery (dunno for sure on that one), the solenoid and all the interconnecting wiring and the pushbutton on the bar.

So, it still looks good and a fun bike!

Kirk

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is a really cool bike, never seen a pic of one of those late 70's CJ's before. Nice! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts