Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ordered this seat on ebay for 140. Good deal. Nice ABS plastic. Now as for mounting I bought some crap steel. Bent stuff in the vise. I still need to paint and re-wire. I thought i'd show you how I did it so you can do your cb360.

This was the mock up.

Cut the frame by 2 inches and welded on the loop. The tang sticking out is to mount the starter solenoid and regulator.

Just have to clean up the wiring to make it look decent

Bolted on with rubber washers both sides of bolts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Neat!! Thanks for the ideas! I'm thinking of mounting my battery under my seat on my CB450 racer.
For future reference: I stumbled across a 12 Volt 7AH battery that measures 6" X 2 9/16" X 3 3/4"
My battery died on my 1969 CB450 "rider"at VMD, Mid Ohio. No one Wal Mart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone had a battery. I bought one that was "close". 50 mile round trip and, it didn't fit. back to Auto Zone to get my $89.00 refund and desperate now, I stopped at a Interstate battery store. While they tried to cross reference numbers, I spied a little black rectangular battery on the shelf behind the counter.
It's a Union Battery Co. MX12070.
I knew the OE is 12AH but I was desperate! Even if it only lasted the weekend! How much? I asked.
$20.00 !!! They said it would work fine if it fit. One guy says his friend has one in an ATV for the last year with no problems.
It has lasted almost 3 months now. Starter cranks-- no problem. Lights work, just like it's supposed to !!
It might weigh 4LBS? Here is the website with all the details. I see they have a 12V 12AH battery to for $33.00
But if the lighter, cheaper, smaller one works.........
These batteries are designed for security systems, back up lighting etc. Sealed Gel cells. Mount em in any position!

http://www.unionbattery.com/ORDER.htm

I thought I would be paying out $80.00 apiece for batteries to run my total loss system on my '72 CB450 racer. Now, I can get 4 of these-- lighter and smaller batteries for the price of one!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a full size 12v 12 AH gel battery. Just had to tuck it under 1 inch below the tubulars.

I'd previously gone with a 12v 5AH battery and it subsequently boiled because the charging rate was too high. (learned the hard way).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I haven't ridden more than about 30 miles at one fell swoop (about 300 since installing this battery) but, I'm going to Cincy and The Alley shop on Sunday. After The Alley Shop, out to the hill climb for a BBQ. In all, that should be close to 200 miles. I will be riding close to 75 miles between stops. That will tell me if this battery can take it. It does say it can take peak charges of 14.7V and steady at 13.8. It only says to limit "initial" charge to 2.16 amps (what does the CB450 put out-- amp wise?). That's like a wet battery initial (trickle) charge rate.

Oh well, we'll see!
Again, thanks for posting the seat (I think I'm getting one) and how you mounted it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts