Honda Twins banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You could probably recoup a lot of your money by selling your tank and side covers to someone and painting a rougher set black.
Really? Tell me more, Im interested. What about the whole bike, being all original, and low original miles?
And is it really rare for the vin numbers to match as on the frame and engine? I love my cb, even though I've yet to ride it, but i want to travel and if this bike can get me the cb750 upgrade and money towards travelling, I'll sell. I'm making the title payment on Monday, and after i recieve it, everything will be kosher. I checked the vin online and it all checks out clear. No lost reports or stolen report. The bike's a hell of a deal. Idle how often your gonna find a '72 cb350 w 034848 miles on it, and all its parts- ever nut and bolt-. It maybe a jap bike, but from what I've read recently, guys in the '60's &'70's f o.k. nd I g these barn bike that were 30-40 years old made quite a lot of money In the end.

·
Sensei
27,093 Posts
I can't remember EVER seeing a Honda (particularly a 350) whose frame and engine SERIAL numbers were the same.......
Once they changed to 17 digit VIN numbers yes, but before that NO.....
Honda's manufacturing process practically precludes that from occurring.....
However, a replacement frame or engine case could have inadvertently been stamped in such a manner at a dealership......
NOT saying that is the case, just in 50+ years working on Hondas, and many, many bikes, I've never seen it......
But I guess anything is possible.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to agree that matching numbers would be pretty rare. I wouldn't say it isn't possible but it didn't happen very often. Would I pay more for that? No. Would I for low miles and nice original paint? Yes indeed. I sold my 71 CB750 because while nice it did not have original paint. I'm not a perfectionist nut and bolt restoration guy. My thing is original paint though. Others prefer that also. You just mentioned painting over it. I personally would not do that as I noted you could sell the tanks and sidecovers for decent money for someone that wanted original paint but had a bike that had poor paint.

If it was mine and I wanted something different, I would clean it up, get it running and the title sorted and sell it. I would leave the tires with the explanation in the ad that they were original. With the miles, running and the title sorted, good clear pics I would think you could get $2-$3000 out of it. Can you do that with less than $1k in it? If you are lucky enough for there to be nothing serious wrong with it. If nothing else you could find a rattier one for less than $1000 and paint it and fix it like you would like one.

If you can get the title sorted (many just simply don't want to go through the hassle) you made a very good buy. I probably should have sourced pipes and an original paint tank and side covers for my last 750 but I was offered twice what I paid for it and.............

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have to agree that matching numbers would be pretty rare. I wouldn't say it isn't possible but it didn't happen very often. Would I pay more for that? No. Would I for low miles and nice original paint? Yes indeed. I sold my 71 CB750 because while nice it did not have original paint. I'm not a perfectionist nut and bolt restoration guy. My thing is original paint though. Others prefer that also. You just mentioned painting over it. I personally would not do that as I noted you could sell the tanks and sidecovers for decent money for someone that wanted original paint but had a bike that had poor paint.

If it was mine and I wanted something different, I would clean it up, get it running and the title sorted and sell it. I would leave the tires with the explanation in the ad that they were original. With the miles, running and the title sorted, good clear pics I would think you could get $2-$3000 out of it. Can you do that with less than $1k in it? If you are lucky enough for there to be nothing serious wrong with it. If nothing else you could find a rattier one for less than $1000 and paint it and fix it like you would like one.

If you can get the title sorted (many just simply don't want to go through the hassle) you made a very good buy. I probably should have sourced pipes and an original paint tank and side covers for my last 750 but I was offered twice what I paid for it and.............

Beautiful bike
Sorry I hadn't replied sooner. I have only painted the exhaust and fenders among other chrome items on bike. The tank and sidecovers will remain original, unless I just end up with the good fortune of being able to keep it AND upgrade AND travel....
I could be missing a set of numbers,.
but those I've seen match. A vin on the frame, & the same vin nver on the engine.
I do want to fulfill my original plan to learn how to ride among everything else, but if im gonna end up getting a 750, I may as well get it overwith while the bike has as much $ value as its gonna get. The title is in the works, should be sorted, and in my name within a few weeks ( ?hopefully?). I do know that this guy can and will get the job done. By May, I should have everything lined up to sell, should a buyer come my way. I have a lady helping me as well. She sells Honda car's among other things, and she's spotted a Cb350 just like mine, same year, a lot more miles for $8000.00, & she seems to feel she can help me get more than this. Again, I've no expectations, I'll believe when offers start coming my way in that ballpark.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Should have decent luck finding the key on ebay, just search the T number.
GREAT BUY, I'll have to add a pic of my bike bought years ago for 800 that I drove to another state for.
Thank you derek. My key arrived the past.
Saturday. $12 in total. I wouldn't have looked had it not been for your post. Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm thinking you might have moved the decimal point a ways on that price Scotty.....
Haha, did I? 8g's for a 350, I swear. It's a lot. It's not the price I'd ask for outright. I would and am feeling it out by asking here. Did you ever in touch with Buddy, rhe title guy? If so, how'd it go?

·
Registered
387 Posts
No not yet..i will when the need arises..
I am going to get a couple bikes today..a 98 Savage 650 and a GS750....just sold 4 bikes and need 10 more lol

41 - 48 of 48 Posts