Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

After a long search I scored a beauty 1972 CB40 off Craigslist last fall. I really wanted the big 70's twin and something a bit different than all the cb350's out there. Everything I saw previously was out of my price range or in extremely rough condition. Then, an ad popped up with just the year and model in the post with no pictures and asking $700. Luckily it was close by, so I took a chance. I was expecting something very rough and mostly in a basket. What I found was simply amazing. The only thing apart was both carbs that had been placed in a coffee can full of gasoline (Nasty!) Everything else was there. Being cheeky, I offered him $600 which he accepted. I literally ran to the bank and was back handing him the money within the half hour. So, what did I get?

1972 CB450
Miles: 4790
Original tires
Last registered sometime in the late 70's
The gentleman told me he purchased the bike in the early 90's and stashed it in the back of his barn for a future project.

So far, I have fished all of the carb parts out of the bottom of the coffee can gasoline sludge and did a thorough cleaning. Reassembled and reinstalled.
Rebuilt the crystallized master cylinder.
Rebuilt the front brake caliper with new pads
new brake lines
New rear brake shoes
new rear brake light lens (only part broken on the bike)
Cleaned the rust out of the tank (this was pretty bad, but no leaks)
New petcock (full of sludge and rust)
New fuel lines
Purchase new tires and tubes (plan to install this weekend)
Purchased Carb Rebuild kit (plan to install this weekend)
Changed the Oil (the oil that was in it looked brand new)
Cleaned the points (will do a deep dive adjustment but they look perfect)

My goal was to see if I could get it running with minimal parts, and I succeeded a few weeks ago. It won't idle, so I'm going to do a carb rebuild with all new parts and install the new tubes and tires, hopefully this weekend. I have an 1983 CB1000 Custom and a 1971 CL100 but I have more enthusiasm to get this bike on the road, as I think it is sized just right. I'm looking forward to the feedback from this group to help me out if I hit some snags.
20161120_115259.jpg 20161120_120517.jpg 20161120_120759.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I agree with devilclown...you scored.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome to the forum. And I agree... You scored big time on that bike.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Nice find! Love that color as well!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hello All,

After a long search I scored a beauty 1972 CB40 off Craigslist last fall.
I'd say so - you don't find stuff like that on Craigslist very often... we already met someone today who didn't. :D Good for you, what a great find for a ridiculous price! (I never seem to have that kind of luck :( )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say so - you don't find stuff like that on Craigslist very often... we already met someone today who didn't. :D Good for you, what a great find for a ridiculous price! (I never seem to have that kind of luck :( )
I am usually never lucky like that either, and I've been holding my breath waiting to find something major wrong with the bike, but I guess every squirrel eventually finds a nut!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts