Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after introducing myself in the intro forum I'm moving to the specific forms for my questions. My 1970 CL450 is halfway torn down for the restomod. Tank is excellent condition outside but has a lot of rust inside. I'm looking to get the rust removed and the tank lined. Should I just go with a pro place that specializes in tanks (expensive - approx $400) or ar there other places (radiator shops, etc) that can do the job much cheaper? I'm ok with spending money on this build but I also want to maximize my money. I still have some expensive things coming - frame stripped and powder coated or painted, engine blasted and painted/coated, new updated electric system).

Thanks all~

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
With lots of rust as you say, I would have no problem doing a complete clean, derust and seal using KBS tank sealer or similar. I've sealed many tanks using this product with great results. Under a hundred bucks all in, do it right and it's as good as a pro job.
Www.kbs-coatings.com

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the inside of your tank. What you want to do is a three step process. The process is clean to residue, deoxidize the rust and seal the interior. The Kit Slofut recommended has the cleaner, deox chemical and the sealer included. The cleaner is basically a detergent, the deox chemical an acid and then the sealer. I use dish soap to clean, vinegar to deox and a two part epoxy sealer made by Caswell. The epoxy system is forgiving. I have done three tanks so far. There are many videos on youtube for the Caswell and other systems. Temperatures, protecting the outside of the tank and cap are important. Don't pay someone $500 to do this. It is a good Saturday job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would try cleaning the tank before I decided on a liner. Filling it with cheap toilet bowl cleaner will dissolve all the rust, if it doesn't work it's not rust it's dirt and it just needs to be cleaned more. A liner is really the worst thing you could do to any tank. Fill it with a bunch of old nuts and bolts and shake it to death. If the metal isn't soft on the bottom you just need to clean it out. Be patient. Toilet bowl cleaner works, my 45 year old tank looks new inside.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I took the liner out of my 450K6 tank and just cleaned it. It had kreem which is the worst liner and it rusted under the liner. My opinion, if you don't have leaks in the tank, don't use a liner.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Whatever method you choose, don't forget to protect the fuel crossover tubes at the bottom rear of the tank (or remind the shop about them). If the sealer plugs them, you lose a significant amount of available fuel, and water will collect on the side opposite the petcock.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Whatever method you choose, don't forget to protect the fuel crossover tubes at the bottom rear of the tank (or remind the shop about them). If the sealer plugs them, you lose a significant amount of available fuel, and water will collect on the side opposite the petcock.
Yep, the shop clogged mine, glad I had torch tip and pipe cleaners.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
POR-15? That is what I plan to do with my project.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just did my tank . it had nearly a full tank of petrol left in it for many years ...lucky the petcock was closed....and at first I though what was coming out was big rust flakes , but petrol varnish had settled on the side of the tank and about 1/4 inch on the bottom. chain with bailing twine locked in petrol cap so it doesn't fall in . tried all the cleaning products without success . Lacquer thinners left over night . muriatic
acid from pool shop to finish ...watch out for flash rusting, I used WD40 .filters on the fuel line . my cross over tubes were stuck solid .. the fix ..cut 4 inches off old accelerator cable put in drill works great
Kanga

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just for those who are reading this: if the clog is harder than the soft steel of the crossover tubes (think of epoxy liner), the cable and drill method could just punch a hole at the bends, so be very careful that the cable is turning at the bend. If it is just drying fuel or rust flakes, it should be fine, though.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I had to use acetone to soften the Kreem to get it out of the balance ports. I added a quick disconnect to the crossover hose to remove the tank without gas going everywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts