Honda Twins banner

My First Build: front end/wheel conversion question

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Hey all - after introducing myself in the into forum I'm moving my questions to the relevant forum for help. I did a lot of searching but haven't found a concise and up to date answer - I want to toss my 70 CL450 front forks/wheel and swap in something with a disk brake. I know I can just drop in a CB450 front end. I am willing to figure out a custom brake install if necessary. Can I swap out the disk setup on the CB450 for better parts? I'd like to keep the swap as close to the decade as possible but with the best upgrade to honor the bikes age (i.e. I don't want to slap on giant GSXR front). I will also be wanting as much control over the front suspension as possible (cartridge drop ins if possible). Also will a smaller front wheel make her handle better than the bigger CL wheel? I want best handling possible.
I want to do this build right.

All help appreciated~

#2 ·
Not counting the K0 Bomber Honda used four different front ends. All of the drum brake bikes were the same until '73 when the CL (K5) got the same front shocks as the CB. The CB got these shocks with the K5 in '72. These are the same shock as the CB500F. The other disk brake CB (K2-K4) had the same shock struts as the CB750, but with different springs.
Your bike has the exterior spring shock struts. This is an older style the was common on the larger Hondas back in the 60s. These are the most primitive on the 450 DOHC. The best shock struts were fitted to the CB K5 to K7 and the CL K5 & K6. Of course the CB was disk and the CL drum.
The 450 DOHC series sits closer to the ground than later bikes such as the CB500T, or the SOHC bikes.

#4 ·
Grimeca or ap Lockheed are about the same, period correct type that everyone loves and can be made to fit. I have a brembo like on the old Italian bikes that I'm liking more lately. The problem with newer calipers is spoke clearance. Some alloy rims, 18 or 19, whatever trips your trigger. Some iron rotors and you'll have much good times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.