Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, It might not be much of a Project log, But here's where I'll post updates on my bike.

It's a 81 Cm400t, around 30,000 km's on it, and It's my first bike.

I was always better with wood than metal so i'm not sure how well this will go, but I can't afford to pay someone to fix this for me, so I guess i'm trying it on my own.

I've got a Clymer PDF (which is apparently junk), and a Honda Shop manual PDF as well.

So, Here's some pictures of the bike after a little ice got it, (the only pics I have right now)

And there'll be more pics to come. I'm not doing a full restoration or anything like that, I just want this thing on the road.

So, I spent last night and today working on the "simple" things, and Oil Change.

Drained the oil out and it was a wonderful brown color, After the water stopped pouring. Then I went for the Oil Filter Cover, when I noticed the bolt was nice and round.

a 12mm gripped onto it pretty good (with some coaxing), So i started tugging (made sure i Was going the right way) with someone holding up the bike, I twisted off a Drive Adapter, then got another ratchet with the correct drive and started again.

Vice grips won't grip it, and I tried to hammer a smaller socket on (old trick my dad taught me) but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any ideas on removing this? 3 busted knuckles and a bleeding palm and I've only got one bolt out. I'm a shame to my grandfather. haha

please tell me I'm not the first one who sucked so bad that they couldn't get a bolt out. haha

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Heat it, then smack it directly on the head with a hammer pretty hard several times with the socket still on it to prevent damage. Twist a little, back to hammering, twist some more, heat some more.. Rinse and repeat.. On my 450 it took a 485 ft pound Snapon electric impact gun and heating it for about 15 minutes straight with a handheld propane torch..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
117 Posts
What a coincidence. I just joined a few weeks ago, having just bought my first bike.... A 1981 CM400T! With 40,000k. I have never done anything mechanical and will be doing as much of my own work as I can (Because I am cheap and I can't afford any other way to do it).

I have been writing about it, so check it out at: http://zenhonda.blogspot.com/

Sean

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like me and you are in the same boat brother.

I just picked up some Damaged Bolt Removers made by Mastercraft. I'll be trying these out tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have spent more time in Crappy Tire in the last few months then I care to admit. You bike looks in good shape cosmetically. My is rougher. Where are you in Nfld?

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the 79 we picked up last year I ended up using my 1/2" drive breaker bar and a cheater on that to get the oil filter cover off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a little bit of spare time today, so I went out to give those Nut Extractors a go.
One was a little too big to grip, the next size down was just a little too small.

I thought "Fine, If it's going to be like that you're getting the heat gun and hammer."

15 minutes with a 1500w Heat gun and tried to pound the socket on there, No go.wouldn't grip. Tried Vice Grips too, still wouldn't budge.

what kind of luck is it that the size bolt i have, the sockets wont grip? I'll never understand how you guys enjoy this type of work.
Here's My nemesis.

The bike Laying down like a Dirty Girl:

As you can see, I'm not dealing with much room here.

And a Shot of the Gauges.

Bryan, what's a cheater?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A "cheater" is a long piece of pipe that you put over your ratchet handle to give you more leverage.. Often called a "cheater pipe"

You give that thing enough heat, and keep giving it good solid love taps with a hammer and you'll eventually get it to break free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Beware, that bolt is hollow. If you have access to a propane torch use that to heat the bolt head/washer. Also, go spend ~$10-20 at your local hardware store and pick up a manual impact driver. It comes with different bits and can be used with sockets too. You just set the direction you want the bolt to turn by spinning the end in either direction and then beat on it with a small sledgehammer. This does the beat and turn at the same time. It was a valuable tool for the 79. It also comes with phillips and slotted bits which you will want for several of the fasteners elsewhere on the bike. Some of the machine screws I couldn't spin with vise grips but the impact took them out.

Here's a link to what the impact looks like...
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/150-341?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=products#

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you can see, My problem isn't the seizing, it's the fact that the head it pretty round.

I can't get a grip on it to try and remove it, so i'm not even sure if it's seized.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Do not heat the bolt itself! Heat around it.

If all else fails then you can try to use a file to shape the bolt head, to get it to the right size for a socket to fit it. I can't believe there isn't a metric or standard size socket that'll go on it as is..

In the end you may end up being left with no alternative but to use a pipe wrench on it..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, to forget the bolt issue for now....

I bought signal lights online to replace the ones I have with Shorter ones, but it appears the tails on our bikes have permanent mounted lights, (aka they can't be unscrewed and a new one added in). Now, this could just be what I see, but short of cutting off the current ones and drilling holes, is there a way to remove the stock lights and mount other/led ones?

Here's an example of the ones I bought,

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Meadus said:
As you can see, My problem isn't the seizing, it's the fact that the head it pretty round.

I can't get a grip on it to try and remove it, so i'm not even sure if it's seized.
That bolt is toast. Get yourself a good pair of vice grips, clamp it on th bolt and take it out and replace with a new one.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Try a different taillight bracket (from another Honda)....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MNellis said:
Meadus said:

That bolt is toast. Get yourself a good pair of vice grips, clamp it on th bolt and take it out and replace with a new one.
I've got the new bolt, Had it for months. Got Brand Name vice grips too. Had em on so Tight that I had to use another pair of pliers to get them closed. They still lose grip.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts