Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've gotta replace the exhaust on my bike (CL350). Since I'm going to be hitting the OHV parks :twisted: it has to meet USDA requirements of 96dB sound output and a spark arrestor, so I'll likely use an FMF or similar muffler since they meet that requirement. Since those mufflers cost a small fortune, I'm only going to use one, which means a 2-1 exhaust. The thing is, I'm lookin' to get creative with the routing. I've thought about doing something like the Triumph Scrambler's Arrow exhaust, which would keep it looking like a scrambler, and I've even thought about routing under the bike like a CB or SL and just crossing one side over to the other. And at that, I've even thought of routing them back high set, one on each side, and crossing over under the battery box, though the pods would probably be in the way.

So let's hear some ideas or better yet, let's see what some of you guys have done with your exhaust. I need some inspiration!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i've considered a 2-1 for my SL350-K1, but have put it on hold until i finish the restoration. i planned on taking the #1 (driver left) and right near where it goes under the oil pan to merge into the #2 pipe then proceed as SL factory designed to a super trapp conical that presently are in my 2-2... you want as close to equal length head tubes to the collector as possible. as for the collector, i got a coupler from autozone (aluminized steel) that when collapsed, i hope is pretty close; or i will have to get creative with the tubing to make it fit clean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got some advice from advice from someone on another site, actually he pretty much did what I'm kind of thinking:

I don't know if this will be of any help, but here's what I built for my CB175

1 1/4" X 18 guage tubing and mandrel bends on the primaries and merge collector, with a 1 3/8" collector extension. 3" X 16 guage muffler with baffles...not TOO loud. It took me about 10-12 hours to fit and TIG it all together. The mount for the muffler was temporary at this point and a permanent bracket/mount was built later. It has also been painted with "BBQ black" high temp paint, which has now held up well in about 700 miles riding.

Seems a bit more straight forward than I thought it would be. But then my bike is torn down to a roller so I can't really look at it to figure out the routing, either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I have an idea in my head, and I've taken the time to measure everything out to make sure it will fit, and I think it's just crazy enough to work, and it should look pretty good too. A while back I bought a Magnaflow 4" diameter muffler for a project car that I never got around to. I never thought about using it for the bike, but here's what I'm thinking - I'm planning to use the stock CL350 primaries, up to where they run alongside the engine, at which point they'll flow into a custom collector and they'll have some sort of connector so they're easily removed if needed. From the collector I can run the Magnaflow muffler (2.25" inlet/outlet), and then a Supertrapp disc-only tip. All I'd need to make are the collector, some sort of bracket to hang the muffler, and then a way to secure the primaries to the collector. Most likely I'd coat the primaries and the collector with VHT since the primaries are far from pristine, but I'd leave the muffler raw since it's polished stainless, and the Supertrapp would blend well since it's a combination of black and polished stainless as well.

I think the Magnaflow and Supertrapp combined would make the exhaust quiet enough to make the neighbors and the park rangers happy, and the Supertrapp tip is an approved spark arrestor, again keeping the park rangers at bay. Given the combined diameter of the stock exhaust is somewhere around 2.5-2.75", the inner diameter of the Magnaflow should be appropriate. The best part is I have the materials on hand so all I'd have to buy is the tip, and that's about $75.

Thoughts anyone? If anything, it'd be something you don't see every day. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts