Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My dad passed away in November and his estate is being liquidated. As part of his estate he had a 1964 CB77. He was the original owner. It is being sold as part of an estate auction.

M101-13s.jpg

I learned the auctioneer has not been promoting the bike specifically, and I though enthusiasts might be interested. I know my dad would have liked it to go to a good home.

The bike is complete, has a clean title. Last run in the 70's I think. It has been garage kept. Right now the bike is about half way between Milwaukee and Madison, WI.

Sorry for the short notice, but the auction is this Thursday, October 23.

EDIT: The auction is so big they have had to split it to two days. October 23 and 30. I am told the bike will be auctioned on the 30th. /EDIT

If you are interested, the link to the bike is here:Jones Auction Service There are more pictures there.

The auction in general is here: Jones Auction Service

If you are interested, please check it out.

I am new to this forum. If I have broken some forum rules for posting this, sorry. Let me know and I will take the post down.

Eric

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
First, my condolences, Ebarton, on your fathers passing. May he be in a better place.

A 50-year old one-owner motorcycle (and garage-kept), wow. Sure it'll need new tires & all the rubber hoses - and I sure hope that the gasoline was drained from the tank/lines/carbs when it was parked - but that's something you just don't hear about every... year (decade, lol?). I'd suggest you keep it and put it back in running/riding condition (if not to actually keep and use, at least because you'd probably get more for it), but since it's an estate liquidation I assume that there are probably multiple people who have an interest, you'd have to get a realistic valuation and then "buy out" everyone else's share, et cetera. I hope they don't try to start it unrefurbished at the auction and tear something up. And I hope you get more than $300-$400 for it. Well, unless you don't need the money and some poor fellow wants to get it in safe running condition so he can get back and forth to work, I guess. But if a collector buys it just to display it or someone gets it to strip and sell the parts for profit then, yeah, I hope it sells high.

Is there some kind of reserve or is it going to sell for whatever is bid for it? Please let us know what the winning bid turns out to be. Hopefully, someone who is a member here will be able to get to the auction on Thursday.

Good luck,
MDM

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live not to far from the auction but I work Thursday and cannot go. I would drive over and throw a bid on it if I could.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live not to far from the auction but I work Thursday and cannot go. I would drive over and throw a bid on it if I could.
Many places will take off site bids with proper verification and a credit card. You might call and ask to leave a bid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MDM, thank you for your kid words about my dad.

As for taking on projects that my dad did not finish, I actually got several. This one did not make the cut, and I have to be realistic about what I can accomplish and how I want to spend my time.

One thing I have learned through this experience is that if you want to do something that interests you - do it. Don't store up all these projects for the future because you may not be able to enjoy them. If I took this on, it would sit in the back of my garage for 40 more years and my kids would be selling it.

As for the auction, the auction is being conducted on 2 days, October 23 and 30. The auctioneer has told me that the plan is now to put the bike on auction on the 30th. That is the plan, but plans can change.

They do accept absentee bids and their terms allow 5 days to pickup an item if you win.

Thanks for your interest.

Eric

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Eric,

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

The bike looks like an awesome restoration candidate and I've been looking for a nice, original CB77 for a while. I'm interested in placing an absentee bid and having it shipped to Colorado. Would the bike be stored by the auction company or by your family until transport could be arranged? Also, what is the zip code where the shipper would have to pick up the bike? (needed for shipping calculation).

Do you happen to know approximately how many miles are showing on the ODO? (with the understanding that it may not necessarily be accurate)

I also see that there is a separate fuel tank as well. Do you know if this is a CB77 tank?

thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
603 Posts
Looks like there is an extra CB77 gas tank as part of the auction? Wish I would have known about this sooner. I have always wanted a Superhawk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

I am surprised by all the interest.

I have some answers to questions posted here.

1. The auction has been split because there is so much stuff. Part is October 23, and part is October 30. I am told that the motorcycle will be auctioned on the 30th, so there is a little more time to figure this all out.

2. Mileage is 15543
M101-08s.jpg

3. A couple more views. Note the front fork:
M101-14s.jpg
M101-16s.jpg

4. The bike is currently in Clyman Wisconsin for the auction. N3469 Highway 26, Clyman, WI 53039

5. As for pickup/delivery/etc. Absentee terms are here. Generally you have 5 days to make arrangements. The auctioneer is a reasonable guy, so if these terms don't work, and you are a serious bidder, you might be able to work something out. Jones Auction Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6. Unfortunately, I can't store the bike for anyone after the auction. I don't live in Wisconsin anymore. (Hence the need to auction all the stuff off.)

7. There is a tank. It looks very similar to the tank on the bike, but the emblem does not say "300" like the tank on the bike. I can't say with any certainty what bike it came from.
M101.2-02s.jpg

8. There is also a seat. Again, no idea what bike it is from:
M101.01s.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, Ebarton. I just found this thread, so by now the auction is ended. First, I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad crossed over in January, and it's still something to deal with. I'm glad you apparently have other projects of your Dad's - enjoy them all. I hope the bike did well at the auction; it looks like a very cool bike, something anyone would be proud to have and work on.

Best wishes,

Rob

·
Registered
221 Posts
I spoke with the auctioneer yesterday. It went for around $1100. I would have gladly paid that if the shipping wouldn't have been another $600...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It found a good home, mine. It will be joining several other 60's and 70's Japanese bikes (as well as some British bikes) in a heated and air-conditioned shop. I'm hoping to ride it in the Slimey Crud Run this spring.

I was originally looking for a CB77 for AHRMA racing but I'll keep this one as it is and look for another to race.

Eric, if you have any other history on this bike I'd love to hear about it. Sorry about your dad. I've been there. Hopefully it helps to know that your dad's bike is in the hands of an enthusiast and not a breaker. I can send you pictures when it's back on the road if you'd like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Terry, congratulations on purchasing the bike.

I'd love to know when you get it running again and see some pictures, that would be awesome. Please, have fun with it and enjoy it.

As for history, I don't know a ton:

This was my dad's only transportation around UW Madison while he was a student.

I did find the original Motor Vehicle Dealer Statement of Tax Payment as I was going through papers. He purchased the bike on 8/11/64 from Berg-Pearson Sporting goods for all of $733.35.

Send me a PM if you'd like me to send you any papers on the bike I find as we go through things.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Great to get to hear the end of the story, or should I say the beginning of the next chapter?

And Terry, thanks for coming aboard to share this with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
J-T, I've been lurking here for a while.

I've found that I learn more from listening (reading) than I do from talking (posting) and that I have more to learn than to offer. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Terry - congratulations on the bike! It's wonderful that it has found a good home. Could you post some pictures of it when it's back on the road? Too cool!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts