Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I have been working on a CB500 recently.

I had thought i wanted a cafe styled 500. Then, i realized 1 my back gets tired. 2 I am lazy, and 3 everyone's got a cafe.

So, i figured I would build kind of whatever happened.

It's probably going to be a street tracker style, but not exactly. The high swept exhaust would be hard to come by...

Anyway, i paid 100 bucks for it, 9k on the clock. 1973.

Here's the latest picture i have with me.



interesting aspects:

Brembo Radial Master Cylinder and front 4 piston calipers
1978 CB550 SS Tank
Fat bars (dirt bike 1 1/8")

Having just had a new born, i've been picking away at it slowly. I hope to at least have it running this year. We'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
I'm liking the dirtbike bars on it. Same bars as my supermoto. That thing would look really good with a flat track style seat...

GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I'm liking the dirtbike bars on it. Same bars as my supermoto. That thing would look really good with a flat track style seat...

GB :mrgreen:
i am going to try to make a seat that looks similar to this:




My wife likes to ride along sometimes, so i want to be able to ride her on this as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
That seat would be perfect as far as the bike having nice lines.. It has that flat track look to it, but upholstered. I likey!! ;)

I don't know how comfy it might be for the wife though? Short trips to the local ice cream shop would probably be just fine..


GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
That seat would be perfect as far as the bike having nice lines.. It has that flat track look to it, but upholstered. I likey!! ;)

I don't know how comfy it might be for the wife though? Short trips to the local ice cream shop would probably be just fine..


GB :mrgreen:

yea, it shouldn't be too horrible, my plan is to make it out of some exercise mat's and Gel inserts. I found a source for the 2" thick 15x40 Gel pads on ebay, so i think i will try to use on of those for the top layer... we'll see how craft i get.

I picked up a sewing machine years ago, just incase something like this came along.


Her rides are mostly ~30 miles or so. I plan to commute to work and back on it, roughly 75 miles each way.

The controls aren't an issue because the actual controls area is 7/8", it just gets thicker as it goes towards the middle.


Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most Current Picture

I am not a fan of how far the headlight ears make it stick out, so i plan to chop them back about 2".

Otherwise, it's looking like a motorbike.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
If you're gonna run gauges on the bike you might get the headlight to blend in better by moving it up towards them a little? That way it'd save you from doing any chopping on those mounts..?

Just a quick thought....

GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
If you're gonna run gauges on the bike you might get the headlight to blend in better by moving it up towards them a little? That way it'd save you from doing any chopping on those mounts..?

Just a quick thought....

GB :mrgreen:

I plan to run a vapor trail computer.



so, we'll see. I didn't like my options for headlight mounts. I wanted to machine my own, but no time, and our shop at work has been closed for a month due to renovations (new paint, floor epoxy etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
You and I must think alike.. That's the same speedo I planned to run on the 450. I won't have a tach because of the top end oiler system, so the Vapor just made sense..

I'm gonna be watching this thread closely, waiting on any updates.... ;)


GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
You and I must think alike.. That's the same speedo I planned to run on the 450. I won't have a tach because of the top end oiler system, so the Vapor just made sense..

I'm gonna be watching this thread closely, waiting on any updates.... ;)


GB :mrgreen:

hah yea? They just make sense. They also have some good features for back lighting, which was always my concern with those little bicycle computer deals.

The Vapors are only $100 bucks, so, it's not too bad. It actually includes a tach, which is just done by inductance on the #1 cylinder, but i heard there were some issues with electrical noise affecting the smoothness of the signal. I figure it's not anything that can't be solved, as I'm an EE. Regardless it gives me speed and Odometer, which is something I like. I will calibrate mine with a GPS rather than tire size, so that it's a little more accurate.

This week i finished repairing all of the broken exhaust manifold bolts. only 30% snapped off when i took the nut off. Considering i soaked them in PB Blaster for 6 months before even turning a wrench on it, it was irritating. The new ones are in, so, that's done.

Now the todo list:

Finish Carb Body Polishing
Assembly of Carburetors
Finish wiring
Install Battery
Install Vapor Tech Computer
Static Timing
Oil Flush #2
Fabricate Seat
Modify front and rear fender (or find a suitable Donor)
figure out rear tail light solution
Make license plate bracket
Source some rear shocks (Long term - will probably ride with what i for this season)
Petcock (why did they stop making them for the 78 CB550? - Turns out it's the same design as the 72 CL/CB350 so if the flow rate is the same, i will use that petcock, which , i already have an extra of...)
Wrap exhaust ( i know it's tacky looking, but, the exhaust is worst... the kerker can looks okay though).
Fabricate side panel number plates for replacing current ones
Cross drill front rotor, surface grind as well
Waiting for bracket to come back from CNC to mount brembo caliper on the forks.

And a bunch of other stuff i am forgetting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to keep those CNC programs for producing more of those brake brackets.. I'd say there's a fair chance that a lot of people would like to use that Brembo setup for racing on similar models with the same fork lowers..

Might make you some extra cash on the side??


GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well see how it pans out.

I'm just hoping i don't have to grind the rotor to be thinner,

or, upgrade to a floating rotor and make an adapter to have a larger radius to fit the arch of the brembo calipers.

I doubt anyone would want to buy the brackets, as the calipers are $400+ (i did NOT pay that much, 20 shipped. Score on fleebay)



Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
FYI - The XS400/650 rotors are a bolt on, have a couple millimeters different offset, and the fronts off of the XS650 are larger diameter than the stock Honda discs.. Which would be good for you. ;)

I ended up having to use two XS rear rotors on the front of my 450 dual disc conversion, to fit them in the caliper, because of the larger diameter of the XS fronts I had on hand..

Keep in mind too, that my memory is old and fuzzy, so before buying any parts have the seller measure the diameter for you to confirm.


GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
FYI - The XS400/650 rotors are a bolt on, have a couple millimeters different offset, and the fronts off of the XS650 are larger diameter than the stock Honda discs.. Which would be good for you. ;)

I ended up having to use two XS rear rotors on the front of my 450 dual disc conversion, to fit them in the caliper, because of the larger diameter of the XS fronts I had on hand..

Keep in mind too, that my memory is old and fuzzy, so before buying any parts have the seller measure the diameter for you to confirm.


GB :mrgreen:
hmm, good information.

I was thinking of going with the RC51 rotors.

I am not worried really about making direct bolt ups, if i do a floating rotor, i can have the carrier made.

My employer has a CNC, mill, lathe, surface grinder ect, it's a decently stocked machine shop, considering we don't really make much with any of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
JeyLux said:
Bird76Mojo said:
I'm liking the dirtbike bars on it. Same bars as my supermoto. That thing would look really good with a flat track style seat...

GB :mrgreen:
i am going to try to make a seat that looks similar to this:




My wife likes to ride along sometimes, so i want to be able to ride her on this as well.

Jason, THAT seat would look GREAT on there! :cool: Keep going man, looking good!I like what Im seeing so far and Im right there with ya as far as where your going.

PS: Had to look twice at your pics there. Your bike "stand" setup looks just like mine LOL. :cool: Works really well to have those dudes at eye level dont it? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trublu said:
Jason, THAT seat would look GREAT on there! :cool: Keep going man, looking good!I like what Im seeing so far and Im right there with ya as far as where your going.

PS: Had to look twice at your pics there. Your bike "stand" setup looks just like mine LOL. :cool: Works really well to have those dudes at eye level dont it? ;)

yes, that table makes working a LOT easier, and, being on casters, i can push it in the corner when i need to work on something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Casters....DOH!! :eek: :shock: Never thought of THAT!! :oops:

Man, that would be great to have casters on there.. :? Im getting them on mine...NOW!!
Just one of those things I guess that just didnt click in my peabrain that would be a LOT nicer.

Thanks man! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here's some pictures

and a rough plan layout i did







great for winter storage:



rough layout of the top



Then i built the legs and a lower frame with casters. My height from table to floor is 40" including caster height. It's just about perfect.

To load it, i put the front of it against the wall, and put my motorcycle ramp on the end and push the bike up.

To unload it, i think i will hang it from the rafter hanger i have, and lower it with my winch. maybe? Not sure yet. Or, just push it off from the ramp.

I have 4 Eye bolts in all corners, but to make it nicer, i would add a wheel chuck of some sort.

Also, i decked the top of it with 1" particle board, and then covered it in linoleum found in the garbage. The wood was leftover from my finishing my basement, and the casters i had in a box at work.

Once i get more particle board, i planned to make better shelving in the bottom. Right now it's alright.

So far, it's worked great!
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top