Honda Twins banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My CB header pipes arrived yesterday. I ordered them off eBay back in December. Insert "slow boat to (from) China" quip here.

The left side seems to snake right where it should land but there is interference with the brake pedal on the right side. I've done a little looking around but can't seem to find a diffinitive answer. Can anyone tell me if the pedal arms are different between CLs and CBs or should I be looking for something from a different model entirely? I could modify the arm I guess but it seems like the CB arms are different from some of the pictures I've seen?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the pedal arms are different between CLs and CBs or should I be looking for something from a different model entirely? I could modify the arm I guess but it seems like the CB arms are different from some of the pictures I've seen?
Yes, this caught me out when I fitted CB pipes to my CL175K7. The CB pedal is bent to fit around the pipe, while the CL pedal is tucked in more, presumably for improved ground clearance. On the K7 frame, a CB200 rear brake pedal works well.

It doesn't end there, The CL footrest bar is also different to the CB one, again tucked in more. In my case, the CB pipes barely cleared the CL footbar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's looking really good. I agree with modding the tank as little as possible.
Thanks Alan!

Yes, this caught me out when I fitted CB pipes to my CL175K7. The CB pedal is bent to fit around the pipe, while the CL pedal is tucked in more, presumably for improved ground clearance. On the K7 frame, a CB200 rear brake pedal works well.

It doesn't end there, The CL footrest bar is also different to the CB one, again tucked in more. In my case, the CB pipes barely cleared the CL footbar.
Ah. Not knowing much about these how do I know if I have a K7 frame?
That’s interesting about the footrest. It seems to be ok on the left side so maybe I’ll get lucky. I’ll grab some pics of what I’m up against.

Any pictures of the CB200 arm handy by chance?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
VIN# can be decoded to tell build date. Don't post your whole number online though, maybe block out the last 4 or 6 like this 123456778xxxxxx.

·
Sensei
26,623 Posts
A K7 CL 175 frame will have a serial number starting out CL175-80XXXXX .......CB pegs and pedals on many Hondas are "looped out" further for pipe clearance.........
Note that often, the kickstarter lever/arm is also set-up to be or extend further away from the cases as well......

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Any pictures of the CB200 arm handy by chance?
CL175 brake pedal with CB pipes. Pedal stopped against the pipe, until I made up a stop, fitted to a footbar bolt.

And this is the CB200 brake pedal. The K7 frame has a brake pedal height adjuster, threaded tab on the frame with an adjuster bolt. Earlier frames just let the brake pedal bang against the foot rest bar, or against the right hand exhaust pipe, if wrong brake pedal is fitted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A K7 CL 175 frame will have a serial number starting out CL175-80XXXXX .......CB pegs and pedals on many Hondas are "looped out" further for pipe clearance.........
Note that often, the kickstarter lever/arm is also set-up to be or extend further away from the cases as well......
My number is CL175-600XXXX. Thanks for the links! I found that same schematic searching for CL175 and CB175 to add to my confusion, ha! There seem to be plenty of pedals to buy on eBay but man they all look slightly different than each other depending on the view and some of the sellers seem to be as foggy as myself as far as application.

CL175 brake pedal with CB pipes. Pedal stopped against the pipe, until I made up a stop, fitted to a footbar bolt.

View attachment 304615

And this is the CB200 brake pedal. The K7 frame has a brake pedal height adjuster, threaded tab on the frame with an adjuster bolt. Earlier frames just let the brake pedal bang against the foot rest bar, or against the right hand exhaust pipe, if wrong brake pedal is fitted.

View attachment 304616
Thanks for the pics Richard. Is the 200 pedal easier to find than the CB175? Was that the reason for using it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I spent a little time tonight grinding the pipes to get them to seat properly in their bores so I could clamp them up and see where they actually land. Right side is a little wacky. And may need to be tweaked to get it a little straighter? And you can see the pedal interference.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks for the pics Richard. Is the 200 pedal easier to find than the CB175? Was that the reason for using it?
Trouble with a lot of previously owned pedals is that they are likely to have bent at some point in their lives. I've actually got CB200 brake pedals on both my 175s, I just happened to strike lucky and find ones on Ebay that appeared OK. One of them had been powder coated black, I left it like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Trouble with a lot of previously owned pedals is that they are likely to have bent at some point in their lives. I've actually got CB200 brake pedals on both my 175s, I just happened to strike lucky and find ones on Ebay that appeared OK. One of them had been powder coated black, I left it like that.
View attachment 304679
Great looking bike! So I am assuming the 200 pedal is a direct bolt on and all the CL stuff will work with it? Brake rod, etc?

I will post a couple links to some that look like they will work and hopefully you guys/gals can confirm (or deny) if they are the correct pedal?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
So I am assuming the 200 pedal is a direct bolt on and all the CL stuff will work with it? Brake rod, etc?
Yes, it will go straight on, brake rod is the same. The only thing that I'm not sure about ( it won't affect the fit ) is whether your K6 frame has the brake pedal height adjuster bolt. This bears against a tab welded to the K7 and CB200 brake pedal. As I say, not really an issue, main thing is that CB200 pedal fits snugly around the CB exhaust pipe.

Red arrow points to threaded hole, normally occupied by a bolt and lock nut.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, it will go straight on, brake rod is the same. The only thing that I'm not sure about ( it won't affect the fit ) is whether your K6 frame has the brake pedal height adjuster bolt. This bears against a tab welded to the K7 and CB200 brake pedal. As I say, not really an issue, main thing is that CB200 pedal fits snugly around the CB exhaust pipe.

Red arrow points to threaded hole, normally occupied by a bolt and lock nut.

View attachment 304711

View attachment 304715
Thanks for the Pics and info Richard. Very helpful.
I haven’t done much to the bike as I’ve been remodeling our library and trying not to spend any extra money during the pandemic. Stay safe everyone!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts