Honda Twins banner
741 - 749 of 749 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
And it's back to the CL175, now that my other project is more or less finished and mothballed until the lock down eases.

When I laid the CL up last Autumn, its performance had deteriorated, being harder to start, with a poor idle. So I'd decided that cleaning the carbs would be the first port of call, and I finally got around to this the other day.

Right hand carb came off easily, once the air filter was removed, not so easy on the left side. Exhaust gets in the way of air filter removal. I found that if I removed the clamps at the cylinder head end and undid both exhaust / silencer mounts, I could lower the exhaust sufficiently to get the air filter and carb off. Doing it this way at least avoids the struggle getting the exhaust pipes in and out of the cylinder head.

Stripped the carbs, cleaned in my ultrasonic tank at 70C for an hour and half. Cleaning fluid was filthy after this time, so hopefully I've shifted something. Rinsed and reassembled the carbs, checked the float levels, one needed to be adjusted. I got an adjustable float level gauge a while back, makes checking so much easier.

With any luck, I'll get the carbs back on today. Also need to replace the fuel hoses, I noticed cracking in the new pipes that I fitted around 3 years ago. Luckily, got some fresh hose and clips in stock, left over from the SL175 build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Richard,

It's a small world!!

Just read through your cb175 post on the Hornets nest, can't describe how impressed I am with your knowledge and ability.

I've just started working on a cb200 I bought a good few years back, but my aims are nowhere near as ambitious as yours, at the moment, I just want to get it running!

I also have to address the hornet parked up in my garage at some point, but then, I haven't had a decade yet to steel myself for it yet!

Hope you get the CB175 out on the road soon.

Stay safe.
Andy (GreenHornet)

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #743 ·
A small world indeed !

Nice to speak to someone else with the same good taste in bikes !

The Nest does seem to be a bit of dead zone these days, most of the activity there is generated by Steve with his Suzuki muscle bike build.

As for my knowledge and ability, you flatter me. :ROFLMAO: Everything I know and have done has been informed and inspired by this ( Honda Twins ) website, there are some seriously experienced old school Honda types here.

All the best,

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
Got the CL175 back together and the engine started easily, and after a bit of fiddling with the throttle stops, idled OK. Treated it to a wash and polish, oiled the chain and pumped up the tyres.

CB175 got the same treatment today. However, it would initially only run on one cylinder, so I changed the spark plug on the dead side, confirmed it had a good spark. Still no joy, so I wondered if the float valve had stuck on that side, and no fuel was getting through. Dropped the float bowl, plenty of fuel.

Plenty of fuel on the garage floor as well, as I'd forgotten to turn off the fuel tap when I removed the float bowl..

That rectified, I refitted the float bowl, then swapped the plugs over, hot side into cold cylinder and vice versa. Tried to start it again, still running on one cylinder. Then it dawned on me, that I'd not turned the fuel tap back on after refitting the float bowl. That done, running on both cylinders again.

Just wish I could go for a ride. Guess I'll have to take the batteries off again, and drain the carbs, wait for an end to lock down. Think I might get my old bicycle out tomorrow, give that a polish and pump the tyres ...

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #745 ·
Getting desperate here !

Got my Raleigh push bike out yesterday, gave it a quick clean and pumped the tyres, rode it around the block. Might go a bit further today.

Worst thing is that I'm now looking online for bicycle maintenance items. At this rate, I'll end up having to do some of the back garden tasks that my wife is lining up for me. :mad:

On the positive side, several neighbours have come down to my garage for chats ( at 2 metres ! ) and shared biking memories. Turns out one guy had a CB200, then a CB250, followed by a CX500. He's another one who is not keen on the café / brat fad, and we both agreed that clip-ons, rearsets, bandaged exhaust pipes and an over weight middle aged guy on a small motorbike is not a good look …..

Nothing wrong with any of the above on a bike that will do more than 100mph …. 😇

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
It looks like lock down has eased a little here, we are now officially allowed to drive as far as we like for recreation, provided that we return home the same day. I'm still being cautious, some members of the English ( different rules for other parts of the UK ) public are bring very silly, crowding onto the beaches etc. I witnessed large parties of bikers riding out yesterday, wonder if they practiced social distancing when they stopped for a break ?

Anyway, I got the CL175 out for a run yesterday afternoon, after refitting the battery and checking the tyre pressures etc. First ride since cleaning the carbs again, runs well, easily revs out to 9k+, cruising at 60mph with more to come. My only stop was at a petrol station, used pay at the pump with my bank card, then home again. Only issue was that the idle was now racing at 3k rpm, easily sorted on the throttle stops, first time the bike had run in earnest since the carb clean and refit.

Weather here is unseasonably hot and dry, not that comfortable for riding. Again, I'm cautious, and wear a leather jacket and Kevlar jeans, while I saw some riders out in tee shirts, no gloves etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It looks like lock down has eased a little here, we are now officially allowed to drive as far as we like for recreation, provided that we return home the same day. I'm still being cautious, some members of the English ( different rules for other parts of the UK ) public are bring very silly, crowding onto the beaches etc. I witnessed large parties of bikers riding out yesterday, wonder if they practiced social distancing when they stopped for a break ?

Anyway, I got the CL175 out for a run yesterday afternoon, after refitting the battery and checking the tyre pressures etc. First ride since cleaning the carbs again, runs well, easily revs out to 9k+, cruising at 60mph with more to come. My only stop was at a petrol station, used pay at the pump with my bank card, then home again. Only issue was that the idle was now racing at 3k rpm, easily sorted on the throttle stops, first time the bike had run in earnest since the carb clean and refit.

Weather here is unseasonably hot and dry, not that comfortable for riding. Again, I'm cautious, and wear a leather jacket and Kevlar jeans, while I saw some riders out in tee shirts, no gloves etc.
Glad you’re well and managed a short ride out, it has been really hot, nice when you’re riding, but not when you stop. I have sent you a message, not sure if you have seen it, they are difficult to spot on the sites new set up.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Hi Irene,

Thanks for your post !

I would like to apologise to everyone who has sent me a private message recently. Since the website changed, I've been completely oblivious to the arrival of messages, it was only Irene's post here today that prompted me to dig in and discover where my inbox is hidden !

'Conversations', I'd wondered what that meant. Less intuitive than 'Private Messages'.

Reactions: HondaCB200Lady
741 - 749 of 749 Posts