Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here, so I would like to first all say Hi.
I have just got in my poseesion, an old Benley CD200. Its on an X-Reg, so I guess a 1981 year.
Kickstart is jammed but has an electric start button, so shouldn't be an issue right at this time.
What my question is, and forgive my ignorance, is that I need to know if its a TA or a TB?
It has 12 volt bulbs etc, so I believe its a 12 volts electric system and not 6 volts but when I checked the ignition, it is a 6 wire and not a 4 wire. This was onlybrought to my attention as I went to ordera new ignition as I dont have a key.
Is there any way of finding out or ruling ou whether its a 6v or 12v system and if its a TA or TB?
Many thanks, Chris.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Moved to Member Introductions, since it pretty much is.

Welcome - and there are many UK members here who may be able to help you figure out what you're asking. We didn't get the CD/Benly line from Honda here in the US, so I'll be of no help when it comes to 6 or 12v, and I'm not familiar with the TA and TB terms at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I also have no idea what TA and TB mean. Don't know why 6 or 12 v would affect the number of wires on the ignition switch either. I can't see your battery (or if one is present for that matter) but at least over here a 12 volt battery has 6 cells and 6 filler caps on the top. A 6 volt battery has 3 cells and 3 filler caps.

The CMSNL fiche:

shows 6 cells:

so I think it's safe to say it's a 12 volt system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have no idea what TA and TB mean. Don't know why 6 or 12 v would affect the number of wires on the ignition switch either. I can't see your battery (or if one is present for that matter) but at least over here a 12 volt battery has 6 cells and 6 filler caps on the top. A 6 volt battery has 3 cells and 3 filler caps.

The CMSNL fiche:

shows 6 cells:

so I think it's safe to say it's a 12 volt system.
Thank you for the links. It's much appreciated.

·
Sensei
26,576 Posts
A six wire ignition switch would be normal as the red and black wires are for Main battery power, the Black/white and green wires are to shut off the CDI ignition, and the other two are for lighting purposes..... AFAIK, all the little twin CDI bikes (125,185, 200) are 12V........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts