Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I purchased a used CB450k5 which needed only a little bit of tlc to take to the streets. The bike ran when I go it but on the way home I discovered that it needed tires, a chain, cleaned carbs and gas tank, and I also wanted to do some other personalizations. So I have a friend that works in a shop who said he'd do it for me and give me the "friends and family" discount. Well, after 4 years, I felt like I had waited long enough. $2000 and 4 years got me a custom seat, tires, chain, tank cleaning and paint, and that's about it. I also had to take the bike home incomplete and not fully assembled, with a box of loose parts that no longer included necessary items such as a clutch cable, throttle cable, petcock, exhaust collars, and I honestly don't know what else... I've since cleaned the carbs myself, and gathered what I THINK I didn't return from the shop with... I think I can manage putting most of it back together, but the electrical system is way over my head... I have learned a lot already by researching, but I'm no expert with these bikes. Without having it together, I can't test it to see what I need to make it run like it should, and I dunno if it even can after sitting there for 4 years... Anyway, I look forward to digging into the forum and gathering information, and thank you for having me! It's a beautiful bike and I cannot wait much longer to get it out on the roads!

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
Welcome - and sorry to hear of your bad experience. It's a story we hear similar versions of many times, and it's possible the "friend" was in over his head as so many when working on vintage bikes that were built before they may have been born. Hopefully you'll be able to complete the project soon, as I'm sure you're anxious to actually get to ride it in finished condition. There's plenty of knowledge here for whatever your DOHC 450 needs, so start a project log and ask whatever questions you need answers to. And post plenty of pictures - we love them, and good ones also help immensely with diagnosing problems.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
Welcome to the group. As you can already see there's lots of help around here.

It could help if we knew where you are located.

And pictures are mandatory!:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow thank you so much for the welcoming comments! I honestly wasn't expecting that!

Yes, my friend seemed overwhelmed. That's why after 4 years, I grew too impatient. Regardless, I've been learning a lot!

I have tried to piece things together as best as I can. Discovering what I think I need, ordering things as frugally as I can and hoping it works. I'm currently waiting on some clutch and brake levers and components.
I also am having trouble with the exhaust. I think I'm going to need to order aftermarket mufflers, but I can't find the diameter of the pipes in order to get the right size mufflers. I'd measure them myself if the bike wasn't in a friend's garage, because I don't yet have my own. Hopefully soon though.

I don't know how to start a build thread, THREAD, ( LOL thanks ancientdad) I'm sure I can figure it out, but in the mean time, I have a couple more recent photos of the bike! I love this machine...

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
I don't know how to start a build threat, I'm sure I can figure it out, but in the mean time, I have a couple more recent photos of the bike! I love this machine...
if you keep that approach you won't get much help around here... oh yeah, a build thread. nevermind. :lol:

If you're posting from a computer, this is the button you use, then browse for pictures. Can't recall what you use from a mobile device

post pics.jpg

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
Have you ridden it yet? Do you have clearance problems with that rear fender? Looks like it only has an inch or two before the tire rubs the back part of it, despite there being a lot of clearance at the front part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've not been able to ride it yet, I need to get it running somehow... But yes, it's not much clearance, I've raised the rear Springs as much as possible, and that fender is on there like that to pass inspection, but will most likely be removed for riding. I'm thinking I'll replace it altogether for something that covers more of the rear tire on the front side. The way its angled and mounted bugs me... Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So its been a while. I'm almost finished building our house (maybe 2 weeks left and I'm fairly burnt out haha), during which time a friend of mine has put some time into the bikes electrical system because he likes doing that kind of thing and I am happy he does, as I've been very busy. I also am not a fan of working on the electric portion of, well anything.

The bike has been returned with the following items to address as far as I'm aware:

Correct sized handlebar clip-on heads
Exhaust mufflers
Front brake line (deleted electronic pressure component to engage brake light which now lights by pulling the brake lever alone, but have to figure out how to find the correct fittings for the aftermarket cable on the stock caliper)

Lastly, he has the bike now running. It idles with the choke almost fully engaged. If I open the choke any further, the rpms take off. If I close the choke all the way, the engine stops.
Engaging the throttle also killed the engine.

I have high flow air intake filters and after turning my mixture screws all the way out didn't make a difference, my assumption was that I needed larger main jets.

I have fixed the handlebars, installed mufflers, have a banjo bolt on the way that I think will fit the stock calliper and tried a set of main jets that were a few sizes up. I went from 125s to 155s to see if it made a difference, which it did. I have only had time to put them in and try them out once. It idled about the same, and occasionally I could open the throttle. Sometimes the rpms would rise, sometimes there would be no difference in engine speed at all when opening the throttle. Again, the rpms would run away when opening the choke flaps any more than almost closed and the engine cuts off when closing the choke flaps all the way. I have not yet attempted to adjust the mixture screws.

I'm excited to hear the bike run. I have had it for years now and am hearing it run for the first time since I brought it home. It feels like I'm so close to being able to enjoy my first ride, but it also feels like it's just out of reach. I am not a mechanic. I have some, but I'd say little knowledge especially regarding mechanical issues. I'd say I have a solid basic understanding regarding the mechanics of things that are working as they should, but when they don't work as they should, I often fall short of an answer for a solution.

My dad rides a Harley, but it's a later model and he takes it to the mechanic for whatever it needs. He's the only other person within my circle who enjoys motorcycles like I do. Other than my friend that got the bike to this point, I don't have any other family or friends that are knowledgeable enough about motorcycles that I can really address issues with, especially those of a 1972 Honda CB450K5. I've exhausted those resources. Haha
There is clearly a wealth of knowledge and experience on here. I am so grateful for that.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge and experience as I attempt to finally get this beautiful machine rideable.

My plan is to adjust the mixture screws to see if that helps, and go smaller on the main jets.
At some point I will check the tappet clearances with my fancy set of feeler gauges. I'm sure doing so will be beneficial regardless, although if the mixture screws and jet sizes don't do it, I'll be at a loss. I don't know how this bike is supposed to be in its optimal state. The sounds, the temperatures, etc...

It is great to hear it running anyway, both exhaust pipes get hot and both seem to be putting out equal amounts of exhaust.

I'm sure there's plenty that I'm missing or unaware of, if anyone has any further information they think would be helpful before I get a chance to post further, or even just want to make a comment, please do so!

Thank you thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts