Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my engine head reassembled and got the motor back on the bike, got it started up and sounding nice, but when I saddled up to take her on her maiden voyage I find I now have a problem (seemingly) with the transmission! Why can't something just go right! I really don't want to have to remove the engine again and break the chain to get into the crankcase, I'm no seasoned mechanic, but here are my symptoms and please someone tell me it's a relatively simple fix!

The bike sits in neutral and idles fine, I pull in the clutch and click it into first and can accelerate with surprising power, then when I go to kick it into second I find I have to hold the shifter up with my toe to keep it from slipping back into neutral. I can ride like this in second while holding the shifter up but this prevents me from shifting into any of the higher gears so I'm not sure if they also have problems. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed? (crossing my fingers that it can be repaired with the motor on the bike.)

Thanks again in advance!

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
funk2eat said:
....... then when I go to kick it into second I find I have to hold the shifter up with my toe to keep it from slipping back into neutral. I can ride like this in second while holding the shifter up but this prevents me from shifting into any of the higher gears so I'm not sure if they also have problems. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed? (crossing my fingers that it can be repaired with the motor on the bike.)

Thanks again in advance!

Josh
It sounds like you might have a problem with the roller detent wheel or a bent pin on the shift drum. Did you inspect the large and small roller whees that ride on the shift drum? It's common for them to have a lot of lateral play and these wheels help hold the drum in place after a shift has taken place.

You can see what I'm talking about if you start reading on this page.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=240

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't inspected these rollers, and don't really have any experience with the lower crankcase (clutch, transmission, etc.) is this something I can access without splitting the cases? I have another engine with good parts that I could use if I can get to them relatively easily.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Yes, you can inspect these parts buy just removing the right engine cover (i.e. clutch cover), no need to remove engine. You'll be able to see them then, but will have to take off the clutch to really get at them. Some really good pics and info in Mike's thread that he just posted.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
funk2eat said:
I haven't inspected these rollers, and don't really have any experience with the lower crankcase (clutch, transmission, etc.) is this something I can access without splitting the cases? I have another engine with good parts that I could use if I can get to them relatively easily.
Yes, you can get to them without splitting the cases.

You'll have to pull the right side case cover off, remove the clutch and oil pump and a couple of other things. You'll need the service manual and it talks about how to remove the clutch and kick starter so you can get to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good and thanks for the replies, is the 450 shop manual available anywhere on here? I can just find the 350/60's, the Clymer leaves a bit to be desired...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I've been reading a little about the recall Honda had on parts of the transmission forks or something that would cause the 'slip' out of 2nd gear, does it sound like this could be the problem I'm experiencing? Will I be able to easily tell once I get in there whether it's just the detent rollers or something bigger with the tranny that will require a teardown?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts