Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get a small Honda twin as a project and plan to disassemble and rebuild it over the winter months. I've always wimped out on projects like this but I swear this time I will go through with it no matter what.

The bike I found is a 1974 CB360G. It's in pretty clean condition with about 8500 miles on the odo. I bought it from a nice guy who had bought it a few years ago and put new tires on it. It also has a new petcock and a cleaned out tank.

Today I changed the oil and adjusted and lubed the chain and put a new battery in.

I need to find a shop manual for the bike. If anyone has leads on either a pdf or a paper copy let me know.

Also, can someone tell me what the mufflers/pipes are on this? I don't think they are stock.

Current issues it has are:
- Idles around either 3-4,000 rpm while driving around
- Doesn't idle when it's parked sometimes, it eventually dies.
- There's an oil leak near the top of the head on the shifter side. It's maybe the head gasket or something near the spark plug area. In the photo, it's on the cooling fins under the black box on the side of the engine.
- Electric starter barely turns and can't get the engine going.

Pics:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow that looks a lot better than the 74 I picked up!

As far as a shop manual you can find a link on this site and download it. That's what I did. I would link it now but I am ujsing my phone. Good luck with the rebuild

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I wanted to get a clean bike to start with so it could be ridden this summer. I looked at some super ghetto bikes with over 20k miles and not running. Not something I want to deal with!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Oil leak could be from the head cover. Really easy to reseal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've determined that it's the head gasket that is leaking. Is there a cheap place to get a gasket kit?
I think I'll do this work this summer so I don't have to later. Anyone local done one before? Would love some help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gasket kit ordered. Thanks tbpmusic! Also, is there a specific sealer used for the head cover? Or just standard gasket maker?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Use the gasket if provided...Otherwise "Hondabond #2"....(silver/gray in color)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used a red anaerobic sealer designed for gasketless aluminum mating. Can't remember the name, though. Got it from a mechanic friend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the head off and there is a ton of carbon and gunk on the valves and pistons. Also, anyone know of the best way to get the old gasket leftovers off? It came down to me scraping at them with my fingernails and cleaning liquids. Anyone local got a valve spring compressor or know how to make one? I would like to get the valves out to clean em up.

Do the Rocker arms look too grooved?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
205 Posts
my pistons look about like that, I think it is just the stock tuning and age. Carb cleaner works well to loosen up the deposits, then brush them off. For gasket material, a good quality gasket scraper, then some steel wool or scotch brite will cut it pretty well.

Oh and your mufflers definitely aren't stock, look like some I've seen on ebay in my searches.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If that is what your rocker arms look like that I would check your cam. IMO I would replace both the rockers and the cam. Mine were worn about like that, maybe not quiet as bad. I found a decent head on ebay that was complete. I had it rebuilt and am glad that I did. The head is another area that you should look at. There are no replaceable bearings so again if you have bad rockers odds are you may need to start over. The 360's need oil changes more often then the manuals says, again IMO. It is a great looking bike and investing in the head would not be the end of the world. I have $280 in mine. It is nice to not have to worry about it. I change my oil about 2000mi. Small cost, for again, some peace of mind. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It would also be a good time to pull your cam tension unit and check it for wear. Those are recalled and if it fails could shell the engine altogether.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Berb said:
If that is what your rocker arms look like that I would check your cam. IMO I would replace both the rockers and the cam. Mine were worn about like that, maybe not quiet as bad. I found a decent head on ebay that was complete. I had it rebuilt and am glad that I did. The head is another area that you should look at. There are no replaceable bearings so again if you have bad rockers odds are you may need to start over. The 360's need oil changes more often then the manuals says, again IMO. It is a great looking bike and investing in the head would not be the end of the world. I have $280 in mine. It is nice to not have to worry about it. I change my oil about 2000mi. Small cost, for again, some peace of mind. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking I'd have the head rebuilt anyway because I think the gasket surface needs to be machined flat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Berb said:
It would also be a good time to pull your cam tension unit and check it for wear. Those are recalled and if it fails could shell the engine altogether.
You mean the cam chain tensioner thing? I had to pull it out to get the cam out and it looks like it's in decent shape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might bring in my head and valve cover to a shop to see if they can rebuild them. I can do basic stuff but this is beyond my abilities. At least I have other bikes to ride while this one is down. It will feel good to have the head all refreshed and know that it's right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did find the manual from this site. Thanks!

The head is at the shop getting rebuilt. They looked at it and it was salvageable. I'm gonna leave the rocker arms as they are because they seem to be fine, profile wise. I'll just make sure to change the oil often and they should last for a long while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you received your head back from the shop yet? What else do you plan on doing to the bike?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts