Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I got the bikes moved into my garage and started poking around them a bit. I've got 2 CB360s and 2 CL360s, one of the CBs and one of the CLs has a title. The titled CB looks to be in the best shape. The plan to to check out the motors on the two titled bikes and try to get them running, then I'd like to do a bit of cosmetic resto on them and ride for a while before doing a frame off.

A few problems:
After much prying, I got the CB tank open. It was not good. The reason I had to pry so much is because a bit of gas has been sitting inside for 11-12 years. It put a terrible black coating on everything and had sealed the cap shut on it. Do you think it will be able to be repaired? The other three tanks of merely rusty but all have some level of dents.

The petcocks have been left in the on position on all the bikes. This poses a problem on my CB with gas in it. Where all did the gas get? For sure the carb, but possibly in the motor as well? What should I do while prepping to try and start it.

Only the titled CB has the punch marks on the motor VIN. Is it worth putting time into the CL motor or should I just go ahead and take it out and start a rebuild?

The plan of attack for tomorrow is a cold compression test on the three motors that are in bikes and drain the tank on the CB. I've attached a photo of a spark plug from the CB, it looks like it was cold to me. Any thoughts?

Also, where is the VIN on the frame located?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Frame number is on the steering neck.....
Change the oil as it is likely fuel fouled and could cause damage if run.....
CB and CL motors are a bolt-in interchange...and no problem unless it's titled by the engine number....
Pick the one you want to build/run first, and use all the best parts on it..... The left-over parts and projects will keep you busy afterwards...........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll change the oil on the CB tomorrow. I'm also going to pull the carb off the CL, clean it and put it on the CB. It looks to be in much better shape.

The titled CB doesn't have any of the front brake assembly but one of the parts bike has a disc setup. I'll need to swap that as well once I get the CB motor fired up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to clean the gas tank today. After I removed the fuel lines and got it off the bike I went to take off the petcock. Apparently the corrosive powers of the 10-20 year old gas had completely destroyed the petcock. The interior portion of the petcock was stuck inside after I unscrewed the exterior portion of it. I've attached a few amusing photos. I've got another tank but it has several dents on the crease. How hard would those be to repair? Luckily I have two more petcocks.

Planning to compression test tonight, have some tools on the way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Thats nasty right there :shock:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, my newb may be showing but here goes:

Going to cold compression test. I opened the choke all the way and tried to twist the throttle and got nothing. The grip would barely budge. I looked in the manual and saw the two adjustment points, one at the grip and one at the carb, tried adjusting both ways and got nothing. Any ideas? Is the cable just screwed? Can I stick a screw driver down there and force the throttle open on the carb in order to compression test?

This bike reminds me of my mustang, simple jobs are never easy.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66replica said:
Can I stick a screw driver down there and force the throttle open on the carb in order to compression test?
Just take the carbs all the way off - looks like you'll have to do it anyway.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad news: My engine with the updated cam chain tensioner is only blowing 90psi on each side on the compression test. I have 2 other engines with the bad tensioner as well as a newer engine that is in pieces. I guess my only option is to rebuild. Bad night.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Todays misfortune is tomorrows motivation dude. You're gonna get a kick outta pulling that engine to bits ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the engine is out I'd like to clean it up. I don't have access to a blasting cabinet so I think I'd like to strip and paint it. Is it OK to paint an air cooled engine? Will it interfere with heat transfer? Any specific paint I should choose?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I painted mine without any issues, I thought it looked pretty good as well for a cheap fix. I used Duplicolor DE1615 Aluminum engine enamel with DE1612 engine primer underneath. There is an Duplicolor aluminum color wheel paint that looks really good on the lower forks and wheel hubs too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Though it looked ok, I thought the Duplicolor wheel paint was way too "tender".
I used the same aluminum engine enamel on the wheels and forks too, it's a lot tougher -

The forks were heavily gouged and scraped - I filled and smeared around some JB weld, then sanded smooth and painted.
Same with the caliper and all...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, both look good. So Duplicolor DE1615 Aluminum engine enamel with DE1612 engine primer underneath it is. I've had a lot of trouble finding a place to blast my parts in Dallas/Ft Worth. Very surprising that there are not more shops.

Also I talked to the vapor blasting equipment manufacturer (the process Leethal used) and they said there are no shops in the US. :eek:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Actually, I used that translucent green "Self-etching" primer (also Duplicolor).

Most decent auto/cycle machine shops I've seen have some sort of media blasting apparatus. Mine uses walnut shells.
Sounds to me like the shops you've talked to just don't want to do any of it at all.

Trust me, the guy who does the actual machining will appreciate it being nice and clean, instead of a disgusting, greasy, heavy-ass hunk. And 450 heads don't sit well on the bench, so that'll PO him too.

Keep looking, you'll find someone to do the cleanup, maybe one of the shops you talked to already would just do the media blasting...... Like Steve says, "Patience, grasshopper".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still pulling apart the bike to get the motor out and the frame bare. Only had about an hour to work on it today. Hope to start the rebuild this Saturday and finish by next Saturday. Going to have the frame powder coated while everything is out. :)

Here are a few great surprises I found in the boxes of parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
wow thats a nice treasure trove you have there! Keep it secret, keep it safe! haha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything is just about off the frame. I need to pull the wiring harness and then take off the steering assembly/forks/wheels. Sanding the rust off some small components now.

A tip for any bike newbs: To get the tach cable off on the 360, unscrew the phillips screw that is next to and perpendicular to the tach cable. This holds the tach cable in. Took a lot of time and a call to a friend to figure it out. :oops:

I'm going to go cafe with the bike. My wife works with composites all day in R&D so I've recruited her to help me build the seat. :lol:

Question: Which of these two coils is correct?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts