Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been lurking about here for a while and finally decided to join. Here are the couple of pics of my CB175. My dad bought it new and it was his Shriner parade bike back in the 1970's and early 80's. The first picture is him on it in 1976 with the Shriner gear on it. The CB radio was to hear the commands the team leader called for during their parade moves.
[attachment=1:1z09ha9t]1976.jpg[/attachment:1z09ha9t]
The exact year of the bike is somewhat in question. The date code on the VIN tag is 10/1971, but the owners manual is for a 1972 model. Meanwhile the DMV claims it's a 73'. It has some features of a 71' bike, namely the gas tank, while other features of a 72' such as the side covers. Dad changed a few things a bit over the years as his Shrine club tried to get all their bikes to look exactly the same, at one time they had about 30 guys with identical CB175s.
[attachment=0:1z09ha9t]CB175,2010.jpg[/attachment:1z09ha9t]
The second picture is the bike now, took this shot a week ago. I still have all the Shriner gear but it's not been installed for a long time. The plate on the gas tank where "Honda" was got changed to one that reads AAOONMS which means "Ancient Arabic Order Of The Noble Mystic Shrine". I've left it on as dad really glued it on and it would mess up the paint to remove it, plus it's a tie to my dad who died 15 years ago. This bike has been pretty pampered it's whole life, everything works well and it's still riding on the original tires.

He gave it to me in 1991 and I've rode it off and on since. Only has about 3,600 miles on the clock, and runs like new. It's a very pleasant ride, smooth and easy to handle, not a rocket by any means but fun to tool about it. Frankly until I found this forum I had no idea anyone was interested in old Honda twins, and I never see any about town in my neck of the woods. So it's nice to see that there is an enthusiastic community of folks collecting and restoring these great bikes.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Well, it's real easy to determine the "Honda Year Model" from the serial on 175's.... The first digit after the CB175- is the "tell"
1969 bikes started with a 4 and were officially K3 versions...
1970 (K4) start with a 5...
1971 (K5) start with a 6...
1972 (K6) start with a 7...
1973 (K7) start with an 8....

As for "official' model year, it is whatever it says on the title... regardless of what Honda says... lol....
Nice bike, enjoy it!...Steve

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the site McHeath, glad you finally decided to join. Great story about the history of the bike, must mean a lot to you. Really looks to be in great shape. Glad to hear you're getting it out and enjoying it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's real easy to determine the "Honda Year Model" from the serial on 175's.... The first digit after the CB175- is the "tell"
1969 bikes started with a 4 and were officially K3 versions...
1970 (K4) start with a 5...
1971 (K5) start with a 6...
1972 (K6) start with a 7...
1973 (K7) start with an 8....
Ah that's helpful! The first number is a 7 so it must be a 1972 model! That would explain the 72' owners manual and side covers.

Thanks for the kind words about the bike, yes it does mean a lot to me. Barring an accident or disaster it will end up being passed on to my son someday, wonder how long these bikes will continue to run?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It also explains the "build date"....Like cars, anything built after the ninth month are presumably the "next years" model......
As for "your neck of the woods"...How about adding that info to your profile....
And as far as 'How long will it run".... Been 38 years now, No reason that with proper care and maintenance it won't go another 40, 50, or more....(start stockpiling wear and maintenance items).....But, Please consider new tires, Just being that old makes them unsafe regardless of appearance/apparent condition......

I wonder what happened to the other 29 bikes?......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi McHeath......really glad to see you cherish the 175 as this world has changed with regard to sentimentality.....my first "new" bike was a '71 SL 175 and since that day no other quite comes up to the mark set by that one. As for the year of your bike, the only obvious feature of the 71 year is the tank.....several other features confirm the 72 year as correct....i.e. the serial, of course, but also the strap on the seat, and the lack of the mud flap on the rear fender.....Dad probably changed the tank to match his units other bikes......just putting in my two-cents....motormike :ugeek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are right about dad changing the gas tank to match his unit. I have one picture that shows all the bikes in formation and all of them have the early CB175 style tank with the squared off lines. I remember that it was important to them that the bikes all matched exactly, so parts got changed and painted to match. The inside of my sidecovers are gold so they once belonged to either a gold bike or dad had this bike painted to match, I was too young when he bought it to recall exactly, in my memory it's always been red. The tank shows no signs of being gold, but the paint on the fork covers has faded a lot and may be a repaint with cheap paint.

Interesting factoid about the modern gasoline we are getting here in California. The bike sat from 1983 to 91' with gas in the tank, which turned to sludge and gummed up the carbs, pet cock, hoses and tank and I had to clean it all out back in 91' when I started riding it again. It also sat for most of the last decade with gas in it as well while I piddled with other projects. When I went to start it up I figured that it would be another chore of cleaning out sludge but lo and behold there was none at all, the tank and carbs were dry and clean. I added gas and it fired right up.

My wife has a Kawasaki G5 from 1975 that also sat, this time for nearly 10 years, and when we recently fired it up there was no sludge either, the modern gas had simply evaporated and left nothing behind. Another easy fire up job, add gas and go. The gas also does not smell as strong as it used to, nor does it have any color at all, nor does it have that strong gassy taste that it did in the old days. (you all recall that wonderful mistake of siphoning with a hose and getting a mouthful of petrol eh?) I remember getting gas in my mouth as a kid siphoning it out of a car to run my go-cart and that taste lasted for hours, but it's not like that at all now. It even washes off the hands better that it used to. Was that all from the lead or have they changed other things as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts