Honda Twins banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Forgot to add, tested that it was charging OK. 14.5v at just over 2k rpm, stable at this when engine revved. It'll need decent charging for the tiny SL175 battery to cope with the electric starter.

It has a CB360 stator and a modern cheap Chinese combined regulator / rectifier, gel MF battery.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Thanks for the kind comments. As always, the camera and the internet do tend to flatter the appearance, it is a bit 'rough and ready' in some places.

As for actually riding it, once the ( if ever ? ) the current crisis is over, it'll probably be restricted to a few somewhat illegal spins locally, unless I do somehow manage to get it registered. As I said at the start, it really started out as a way of putting some of my spare parts together in one place, but I then got carried away a bit. :geek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
How did you get the muffler? I know that you wrote that you fabricated it but It is the one thing I'm missing for my SL175 and it is killing me trying to source one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Forgot to add, tested that it was charging OK. 14.5v at just over 2k rpm, stable at this when engine revved. It'll need decent charging for the tiny SL175 battery to cope with the electric starter.

It has a CB360 stator and a modern cheap Chinese combined regulator / rectifier, gel MF battery.

Thanks Richard this is amazing. I have learned a bunch from your fabrication and instead of waiting on parts for my CB 175, I am going to build them.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
How did you get the muffler? I know that you wrote that you fabricated it but It is the one thing I'm missing for my SL175 and it is killing me trying to source one.
To save me having to retype it all, if you read this thread from page 8 onwards you'll find most of the details.

Basically, it consists of a pair of David Silvers pattern header pipes, the 2:1 section is made from two 38mm OD tubes with 45 degree mandrel bends, cut and welded. 38mm tube is a sliding fit on the 35mm downpipes. Another pair of 45 degree bends cut to form the link pipe, 41 and 38 mm tube for sliding fit. Silencer is one half of a Triumph Scrambler 900 system, cut and shut to remove the catalytic converter. ( If that is left in, silencer gets red hot, trying to catalyse rich fuel mix ). Another 45 degree bend welded on to form the outlet pipe. Nuts welded onto the can, to take a CL175 exhaust heat shield. Brackets attached to fit original mounting pipes on frame.

I've only run the engine statically on this system, no idea of how it will actually perform out on the road. I have run the silencer, mounted on my CL175, and apart from the catalyst issue mentioned above, ran well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This does look amazing.
Question, if you don't mind, do you know if the exhaust pressure created by the exhaust system is important or just the lack of oxygen at the valves? You mentioned that did not know how this exhaust was going to perform. I had difficulties with the exhaust in a cb200t many years ago and worry about the exhaust on a cb 175 I am working on now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Nice one Richard! You've built it up in 11 pages. My build is up to it's 41st page now and only just got 2 wheels on! Some of us just work faster I suppose, though SWMBO takes credit for thwarting me. Good weather means gardening, not fettling!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Question, if you don't mind, do you know if the exhaust pressure created by the exhaust system is important or just the lack of oxygen at the valves? You mentioned that did not know how this exhaust was going to perform.
I honestly don't know. Conventional wisdom has it that Honda invested a lot of time and effort in getting the induction and exhaust systems optimised, and anything that we do to alter this likely to make things run worse.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Nice one Richard! You've built it up in 11 pages. My build is up to it's 41st page now and only just got 2 wheels on! Some of us just work faster I suppose, though SWMBO takes credit for thwarting me. Good weather means gardening, not fettling!
Thanks James !

Your build has concentrated far more on the fine details, I've just slapped mine together !

Similar story here regarding SWMBO, I have to help with the heavy gardening tasks, but a lot of time revolves around accompanying wife and dogs on lengthy dog walks, then collapsing in garden chair when I get back home. New chain arrived yesterday, but I just could not summon the enthusiasm to get it fitted, too hot.

At this point, I'd like to say that I would not / could not have done this build without the Honda Twins website to inform and motivate me. Particularly inspired by reading Simos thread, where I cribbed the ideas for CB200 oil pump, CB360 stator, CD250 forks etc etc,

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Just fitted the chain. I had to take a couple of links out, quick job with the angle grinder. Got the wheel aligned and chain adjusted, then it seemed rude not to try it out. Took a while to get the engine running on both cylinders, putting some petrol into the tank sorted that out, engine ticking over reliably at 1100 rpm, responds snappily to the throttle.

So, into first gear and whizzed up the alley that connects our block of lockup garages with the main estate road. Accelerates well, front brake not so good. Got a disapproving look from a neighbour. Possible reasons - no helmet, too noisy, flaunting the lock down ( in her opinion ),or just doesn't like motor bikes. Anyway, I turned around and put the bike to bed.

So, front brake needs adjustment, and the gear lever needs to be shortened, too far from the foot peg for my dainty size sevens.

Reactions: RenegadeZ3

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Bit more fun in the shed this afternoon, drained and removed the fuel tank, so that I could fit 9mm Milenco clips to the fuel lines. Easy enough at the tank end, but more fiddly at the carbs, ended up taking the rhs carb off for access. Also correctly fitted the cross over pipe. Very tight under the SL tank, throttle and clutch cables, choke mechanism and fuel pipes all seem to want to occupy the same space. Need to take care that nothing is trapped or pinched, and that the choke and throttle still work easily,.

Also made up the wire standoff for the clutch and tacho cables, the one that mounts on the back of the ignition switch bracket. I used an old metal tent skewer for the wire to make this from, nice and stiff, but bendable with a bit of force.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Richard. Your build does look incredible. I got lucky and found a near perfect SL175 muffler less than 5 kms away from my house. Going to go get it on Friday. You thread is trully inspiring though.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts