101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,233 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Im trying to get quotes for the decking I think Id like to try to go that route. If too expensive or unavailable, Ill do the decking myself. Maybe get it vapor blasted as well.

I started buying parts in Dec 2018, and I have spent $1k so far. My estimates show I need about $1K more in stuff plus machining costs and stuff I'm not accounting for that always creep in.

Lets call it $2500 for my restore. About average?

The bike need EVERYTHING. It was in rough shape when I got it in 94.

Im working on pulling out some videos from 1994 of my riding this very bike when I was 15, talk about nostalgia and memory lane!

Im 42 and thought about waiting until I am 50 for the restore, but the time seems good now.

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
Im trying to get quotes for the decking I think Id like to try to go that route. If too expensive or unavailable, Ill do the decking myself. Maybe get it vapor blasted as well.

I started buying parts in Dec 2018, and I have spent $1k so far. My estimates show I need about $1K more in stuff plus machining costs and stuff I'm not accounting for that always creep in.

Lets call it $2500 for my restore. About average?

The bike need EVERYTHING. It was in rough shape when I got it in 94.

Im working on pulling out some videos from 1994 of my riding this very bike when I was 15, talk about nostalgia and memory lane!

Im 42 and thought about waiting until I am 50 for the restore, but the time seems good now.
I'm not at all surprised by the amount of money you've spent so far. These parts are getting harder to find, sellers know they're getting scarcer by the month, and any new stuff you can find is at a premium as well. I have roughly $2500 in the engine of my 450 so I can relate completely - but if you're going to do it, and plan to keep the bike for the long term as well, you want to do it right so you won't have to do it again. As for memory lane... don't know if you saw this, but how about some footage from over 20 years before your videos? :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Ill watch that video when Im not work, google drive is blocked here.
Do you think having the surfaces machined is worth it or overkill?

Im calling delta cam today, I assume I need to send off all my rocker arms even if they dont look like they need work?

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
I didn't look at all of the pictures of your cam and rockers, but Delta's pricing is so cheap you should just have all of them done, they do good work. Probably less than $100 for everything. If LDR thinks you need to do the surfacing, you should do it

·
Super Moderator
23,233 Posts
Remove the shims from the cam before sending it away with all four rockers. Put the shims in a big envelope and somewhere safe. The .2mm shim is still available but the .1mm isn't.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts