Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
DESIGN GOALS HAVE CHANGED A LOT, SEE PAGE 3 FOR AN UPDATE:

the intent is to build a "bug out bike" ... I chose the parallel twin because it is an all-mechanical dependable engine. i like the CL350 look, and have a lot of gravel / grid roads out here, so i would like to be "light trail capable"

Design goals are first and foremost dependability and fuel economy. it is NOT my intent to keep it original (sorry, purists) ... or to build a cafe racer. slow, steady, and solid are what i am going for.

also ... i want it to be high-quality, but i don't have a lot of cash. Bonus points to doing as much as i can myself.

current list of "to do"s are:
1) Tires and Wheels. the front rim and spokes are great, so just new rubber there.
2) Rear wheel is a total build. looking for spokes, rim, rubber etc. to lace onto current hub
3) Gas tank blasted and powder coated inside and out
4) Fenders re-shaped, blasted, and powder coated
5) ... "engine work" ... there is a lot to be done here, and is a subject of deeper investigation later.
6) rack and Storage options. i have dreams here, but budget will likely dictate.
7) considering a new seat.
8) I'd like to try my hand at hydro-dipping the tank.
9) upgraded shocks... remote reservoir ?
10) foot pegs, lights, stylistic stuff.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for stopping in Lefty and Franky.

every good project starts with a clean shop ... and mine is ... sorely neglected. so i've decided before i start taking parts all apart; i am going to gut the garage.

got my main work shelf cleared today and even put some fresh paint on it to give it a nice "blank canvas" look.

also got a front tire, inner tube, and rim strip in the mail today. probably go ahead and change that out this weekend as a "very first" step.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd consider a different front end. Something like an XL 350, with a 21" front wheel. Cheap on eBay. Check AllBalls website and see what is easy to swap in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for stopping in cl450nut.

... i'm assuming you recommend the XL front end for better suspension ? it sounds cool, but is on a list of so many things just to get to the "good / dependable / functional" level ... that it probably won't be realized any time soon.

Last Night was what it was all about ... guys drinking beer in the garage talking about their projects... as i slowly start to organize a garage and shop that could only be described as "hoarder".
Automobile repair shop Room Workshop Building Vehicle

Room Machine Vehicle Workshop House

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gas tank has the expected amount of sludge and rust... it will get blasted inside and out ...

Wheels were covered in surface rust... but the wire wheel did wonders... but it took a LONG time... I was going to go all black hubs but they look so nice I might keep them like this.
Surface rust is off the rim and I have put enamel inside and out...
A good first day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I like the tools on the wall - 3 hammers and a hatchet. Good tools for working on a Harley, but they may work well on Hondas, too...:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
long awaited update ...

it's been a good winter.

Gas tank i had professionally blasted inside and out ... also HDPE coated inside . i painted it myself.
Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Fender Auto part Hood

here it is after my paint job:
Automotive exterior Auto part Fuel tank

also wheels were both torn down, and coated. New bearings i pressed with 12-ton press:

Auto part Audio equipment

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for painting the garage was dust-cleaned ... air pruifier ran for a few days. plastic'ed off everywhere ...

dehumidifier kept it at 35% humidity and heat kept it at 80 degrees.

ran two light and a heavy primer, then 2 light and a heavy top coat on everything. wheels further got matte clear coat the next day.

Vehicle Bicycle part Machine Bicycle Bicycle wheel

i heat cycled the parts that will get hot. for 100 for an hour, 150 for an hour, then i tried for 200 but couldn't get it there. heat cycled for 5 total hours.

Floor

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wheel lacing is an interesting thing ... quite the learning curve, but i got it figured. front done... rear not started yet.

both wheel will be identical, this is in keeping with the apacolypse bike theme, a rear wheel backwards on front means only one spare works for both.

using tusk impact 36-spoke WM3s, and stainless spokes from thailand (Ebay) cut to fit my old hub to the new rim. this lets me run modern tires up to 4-inch. both wheels are 18".

Bicycle wheel Spoke Wheel Rim Bicycle part

Wheel Spoke Bicycle wheel Rim Auto part

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have the motor mounted ... figured this was vital to getting wiring going and measured well.

for coils, i have the magna high output coils; and thus had to weld tabs to the frame to house them ... that was fun.

i have a pamco with Electronic Advance.

I'll hit these with some rustoleum after i drill and trim them:
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Wheel Rim

bike is starting to look like ... well, like a bike !
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Engine

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.