DESIGN GOALS HAVE CHANGED A LOT, SEE PAGE 3 FOR AN UPDATE:
the intent is to build a "bug out bike" ... I chose the parallel twin because it is an all-mechanical dependable engine. i like the CL350 look, and have a lot of gravel / grid roads out here, so i would like to be "light trail capable"
Design goals are first and foremost dependability and fuel economy. it is NOT my intent to keep it original (sorry, purists) ... or to build a cafe racer. slow, steady, and solid are what i am going for.
also ... i want it to be high-quality, but i don't have a lot of cash. Bonus points to doing as much as i can myself.
current list of "to do"s are:
1) Tires and Wheels. the front rim and spokes are great, so just new rubber there.
2) Rear wheel is a total build. looking for spokes, rim, rubber etc. to lace onto current hub
3) Gas tank blasted and powder coated inside and out
4) Fenders re-shaped, blasted, and powder coated
5) ... "engine work" ... there is a lot to be done here, and is a subject of deeper investigation later.
6) rack and Storage options. i have dreams here, but budget will likely dictate.
7) considering a new seat.
8) I'd like to try my hand at hydro-dipping the tank.
9) upgraded shocks... remote reservoir ?
10) foot pegs, lights, stylistic stuff.
... i'm assuming you recommend the XL front end for better suspension ? it sounds cool, but is on a list of so many things just to get to the "good / dependable / functional" level ... that it probably won't be realized any time soon.
Last Night was what it was all about ... guys drinking beer in the garage talking about their projects... as i slowly start to organize a garage and shop that could only be described as "hoarder".
Gas tank has the expected amount of sludge and rust... it will get blasted inside and out ...
Wheels were covered in surface rust... but the wire wheel did wonders... but it took a LONG time... I was going to go all black hubs but they look so nice I might keep them like this.
Surface rust is off the rim and I have put enamel inside and out...
A good first day.
A forum community dedicated to Honda Twin cylinder motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, engine builds, classifieds, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!