Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just picked up a 66 CB160. I've only had it home for a few days so not much time to give it a good going over... I've had a lot of bikes but have never done much work on them myself outside of the easy regular maintenance stuff. I got this partially because I want to learn how to work on it, and partially because I had a 160 that I raced in the vintage class in Washington (WMRRA) for 2 years. I just really like the 160! I'll try to keep this thread updated with progress. I know it starts and that it had a clear title and is mostly complete. I don't know much more about it. Here's a picture for starters...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Welcome! Looks like you have a pretty good start.

Reactions: tdc_erock

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The story from the PO... he bought it in a non-running state sometime in the past year. It was last registered in 2010. PO likes to rescue old bikes and get them running - he had a nice 70s CB360T in his garage that he rides. From his ad...

Needs carb tuning and possibly valve adjustment. Rebuilt carbs and petcock, will not run WOT, lined gas tank with por15, new plugs, points, condenser, timing set. Needs rear brake cable, maybe clutch cable. Electric start doesn't work. Lights all work. ODO and speedo work but crack in plastic. Plenty of dirt and surface rust. Mostly complete.

First I'm going to drain the gas tank - it's full with 10% corn. I think he changed the oil but it is black. So I'll change that right away. Then I'll go through that very helpful checklist on the sticky thread about what to do when you first get an old Honda Twin!

It didn't leak anything until after I ran it for a bit - left muffler, about halfway back, there is what appears to be a small screw on the underside - it looks like a few drops of oil dripped out from there. I haven't had time to look into it at all! Could it be a soot deposit from sitting so long?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The mufflers have drain holes. There is always some condensation in the exhaust which collects in the mufflers, especially when ridden "easy", like around town. Someone may have put a screw in the hole to stop the "leak". The primary effect of doing so is to cause the muffler to rust out quicker.

Welcome to the group, that's a nice looking bike.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks J-T! I've only run it for maybe 10 minutes total and I know the PO ran it only about a mile since he worked on it. I'll look more closely to see if it is in fact a screw in the drain hole.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a beauty. Such a beautiful style.

Reactions: tdc_erock

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mufflers have drain holes. There is always some condensation in the exhaust which collects in the mufflers, especially when ridden "easy", like around town. Someone may have put a screw in the hole to stop the "leak". The primary effect of doing so is to cause the muffler to rust out quicker.

Welcome to the group, that's a nice looking bike.:D
J-T, "after further review" the hole is in fact there. It just has a raised edge which at first glance looked like the head of a screw or bolt.

Ran it around the neighborhood for 5 minutes last night. It doesn't idle and it bogs past half throttle - I haven't tried holding it wide open to see if it eventually goes... More updates later - I have a busy couple of weeks coming up and won't have much time to do much with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding manuals for the 160, I have a 139 page PDF titled Shop Manual Honda CB125 - 160. Are there any other electronic files that members are sharing? I also don't mind looking for a book to buy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I go to drain the float bowls, and I don't know if it came off when I removed the float bowl or not, but... any way to put it back without removing the carb? I tried hooking the clip on the float and putting it back in, but the float just dangles. Time to hit google or the manual... Unless someone can help?

Wall Close-up Photography Drawing Pattern

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I held the needle and float up in there, and laid the gasket on the bottom of the bowl and got it to go back on properly. I think. Hard to say if it all stayed in place, but it didn't drip any gas when I turned on the petcock. Then I fired it up and went around the block. Before tonight it would go, sort of, but only at light throttle. Bog city. But tonight it actually ran like a normal bike. Wonder if that needle was just floating around in there ever since I got it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found a good lot of stuff that I just had to order...

Mud flap (mine was missing)
Tank badges (I believe they are original - my current ones were repros bought by the previous owner - new and without the CB160)
Set of carb repair kits
Front brake cable (new)
Clutch cable (new)
Throttle cable (new)
Correct air cleaners (previous owner had on some aftermarket ones)
Front foot pegs
Rear foot pegs
Mirrors (round, not original rectangle)

He also had a set of chrome side covers which I had never seen before - he said they were fairly rare - anyone know anything about that?

Anyway, I haven't had a lot of spare time with the holidays and all... but I've changed the oil and put a touch of seafoam in the gas tank because the gas has ethanol and is a couple months old. I've ridden it about 30 miles or so... Looking forward to spending more time on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a good lot of stuff that I just had to order...

Mud flap (mine was missing)
Tank badges (I believe they are original - my current ones are repros bought by the previous owner - new and without the CB160)
Set of carb repair kits
Front brake cable (new)
Clutch cable (new)
Throttle cable (new)
Correct air cleaners (previous owner had on some aftermarket ones)
Front foot pegs
Rear foot pegs
Mirrors (round, not original rectangle)

He also had a set of chrome side covers which I had never seen before - he said they were fairly rare - anyone know anything about that?

Anyway, I haven't had a lot of spare time with the holidays and all... but I've changed the oil and put a touch of seafoam in the gas tank because the gas has ethanol and is a couple months old. I've ridden it about 30 miles or so... Looking forward to spending more time on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, didn't mean to post twice - trying to delete one but I click Edit Post and nothing happens... oh well, I guess this is a site for twins.

·
Registered
208 Posts
TDC: Welcome to the forum. Good looking near stock bike--gonna keep it that way? They're simple to work on and a lot of fun when powered up at full chat. Ride mine to car shows and on decent days. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but be wary of aftermarket carb kits if that's what you have (can't tell from photo). Inferior and often differently shaped brass (jets, float valve) and poor rubber (bowl gaskets). Someone brought me a 160 to work on and I have no idea where he got the carb kits but they were supposedly for a 160 and absolutely nothing worked/fit...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curmudgeon - yes, I plan to leave it stock. Felt fortunate to find the original badges and mud flap as part of this lot. Looking forward to learning how to work on it!

Chicken - Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to remember to post a photo of the carb kits later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran it a bunch of times and eventually the sludge stopped dripping out of the exhaust hole. It even was running well enough to ride it a couple of miles to our weekly car show / drop in (Charleston Cars and Coffee). But since then between being busy and having lousy weather I've let it sit and the battery is dead. For now it's just something I enjoy seeing when I go in the garage. I'm going to keep it - someday I will have time. Carbs need some help, but otherwise I'm going to ride it as is... eventually. I need to find screws to install the original tank badges I found. The screws holding in the current reproduction badges aren't quite long enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts