Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't much of a project log as I didn't do a great job of visually documenting my work. But for what it's worth I did the following over the winter:
Rebuilt front caliper and master cylinder
Repainted caliper gloss black using VHT SP734
Replaced rear brake shoes
Rebuilt and sync'd carburetors (restored jetting to 72/118)
Replaced fuel petcock and added fuel filter
Adjusted valves, cam chain, and balancer chain
Repacked steering bearings
Cleaned all electrical connections
Re-wrapped main wiring harness
Replaced headlight with H4 unit
Polished cases and forks followed with clearcoat paint
Replaced fork seals/wipers and changed fork fluid
Removed/cleaned swing arm bushings
Replaced spark plug caps with NGK XD05F caps
Replaced air filter with K&N filter
Restored side cover decals
Polished/cleaned virtually all fasteners and surfaces

It's not perfect by any measure but I'm satisfied with where the bike is at and now plan on simply enjoying the ride.

Before:

After:

and

·
Registered
255 Posts
Let's see ...well with your help I did the first thing on your list and....and....

Nice work :!:

Larry

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Yep, still tinkering with all that stuff myself.

Haven't had any luck finding decals though. Sent an e'mail to Reproduction
Decals.com but haven't gotten any response. I should get serious about
that soon as what I come up with there is going to influence the paint job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I have a cm400c as well. Mine has green side covers from another model and I'm looking to fix that. I couldn't find the blue "custom" side covers anywhere so I picked up come decals and now need to repaint. What color did you use for you covers?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have to repaint the covers...only had to restore the decals. If yours is like mine, Honda calls this color cosmo black metallic which can also be described as deep midnight blue metallic as it isn't really black.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Davem said:
I couldn't find the blue "custom" side covers anywhere so I picked up come decals and now need to repaint. What color did you use for you covers?
Thanks
Mind if I ask where you found the decals?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is perfect. I'll see what I can do to get the closest match. Maybe bring tha can and compare it to my tank before I leave the store. Thanks

The decals were $35 off eBay "speedAndSportGraphicReproduction". They look like a spot on reproduction. Can't vouch for the quality...yet

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cm400+ ... m270.l1313

I just read both of your CM400 logs. I'm sure I'll have more questions going forward (next step oxidation removal).

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the same place I bought my decals from and they are pretty decent. I would however recommend clear coating once you've applied them to the cover. I found that they don't stand up to waxing. I stopped before any real damage occurred but...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts