1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Damn, I think I need a cigarette.... :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice. I'll have pictures of my 450T up at some point, but it's not that pretty. It looks like you've lost the Honda badge on the front, and replaced it with a snazzy dual horn setup. Have the bars been replaced as well? I'm considering the same. That must be an aftermarket seat cover, as there is no way the original looks that good after 29 years.

It looks like the front forks need work. There is very little travel left between the top of the tubes and the signal bracket, and you're not even sitting on it. These bikes have a very poor pneumatic-assisted suspension, essentially useless and apparently prone to failure. Mine is not quite as bad, but I've still bottomed out on a sharp dip, and heard the suspension cry. There are no replacement fork springs listed for this bike. Any modification to fix this is going to be custom. I'm going to try modifying the current springs and adding a spacer, which I've read about other riders doing on their own. Fortunately, I've found a mechanic who used to ride these bikes, and who's judgement I trust.

Otherwise, incredible. How many miles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everybody!
the looks are why I bought this bike in the first place, that and the $300 price tag thanks to a person who put down a $400 deposit and then skipped the country! the bars are aftermarket indeed, i like a little lower position for more control in the corners. that's the real seat cover too, but the rips get worse every day, that picture just hides them, hehe. this was before I rebuilt the shocks, so that's why it looks like that. and the miles are just over 22,600. A windshield is next because i cant stand the wind sitting upright like that. after that, pipes because the old ones are getting nasty. im getting the Mac 2 into 1 in black.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
spuriousgrowth, it appears from his high res photos that he's slid the fork tubes up into the trees further, to essentially lower the front end a little.. At least that's what it looks like to me.

She looks good though.. ;)

GB :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
spuriousgrowth, it appears from his high res photos that he's slid the fork tubes up into the trees further, to essentially lower the front end a little.. At least that's what it looks like to me.
actually, that little bit of silver on top of the fork tree is the cap to the shock. it comes up away from the shock because that's where the air line connecting the two shocks goes into. it does look strange though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's good to hear that they're a better now. I read your other post about maintenance, and I think the heavier fork oil is a really good idea. The only other CB400T I've seen in person had the same issue. I tried to locate an image of one with more play, and it's hard, most of them look like this. However, this one has at least another inch.

http://www.ebai.ca/cb450t/photos/front_right.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i like it a lot better with the heavier oil. damn, the silver on the cb400t looks sooooo much better than the black. :cry: oh well. i want those black crank case covers too! i still dont know why my engine block is black and the covers are silver. the american model was always an all silver engine. probably an engine paintjob sometime in the past.

the forks are a little higher now, but not quite like that. i guess i could open up the shocks again and put in spacers in between the two springs.

here's a good picture of the forks... and the rest of my bike family.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks. as you can see, i have nothing better to do than to make strange signature bar Gifs. it if gets too annoying ill change it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Something that big may make the page slow loading for other users.. Just a thought. I'm not saying anything... ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I wasn't saying anything bad Smeed. When I opened this thread the GIF was as big as the other picture.. No problems here.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very nice, how do you think it will ride with the aftermarket exhaust, i heard that without that power chamber between the dual exhaust that they tend to lose mid range power. My '82 450t has flat black exhaust and it looks pretty good with the silver paint. I think your tail section may be from an '82 because i think that was the only year with the wing. I like the looks of these bike they look pretty futuristic to be from the 80's. Your front end looks like it could use some air, careful though cause ive blown both fork seals by putting in to much air. Awesome ride!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts