Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Screenshot_2018-03-12-16-45-01.jpg
So, I had moved my 1983 Kawasaki GPZ1100 & 1972 SL350K2 out of the garage, as I like to do, as weather & time permits. I haven't been able to ride, for awhile, for one reason or another. And I like to fire up up the GPZ, to keep it in shape. I had a pretty nice example of an SL350K3, that also had a "NICE" set of pipes on it & I didn't really want to take it off road, because of those pipes selling for a pretty high price. So, I saw a 1972 SL350K2, on Ebay one day, that was supposed to be a runner, but an aftermarket 2 into 1, low pipe on it & the price was good, so I bought it. Thwn, things happened, that kept me doing all sorts of things, EXCEPT being able to really check this one out. So, I ended up with a buddy stroing my motorcycles for me, while I was out of pocket, for over a year and while my buddy had my motorcycles, he thought he would do me a favor and go into it, to see just what condition it was in & proceded to make improvements on the condition, which included getting it running & well tuned, put he told me all he had done, he never tried to ride it, as he had projects of his own, that got him distracted. So, yeaterday, when I had it & the GPZ out of the garage, I decided to see about starting it up. Started pretty easily. Ans not thinking to do any more checking, besides what my Buddy did, I pulled in the clutch lever & went to put it in gear. Oh it went into gear, jumped forward & killed the motor, letting me know that I needed to finish up, where my buddy left off. What I am getting at, is that I need to come up with a clutch pushrod, for sure. And, I need to check through my Honda motorcycle parts, to see if I have one of those particular size ball bearings, for the adjuster. This has gotten me sidetracked from the Super Hawk "Mock-Up", for now, at least. Anybody out there know if there are any other Hondas, with the same size & length clutch pushrods or not? Appreciate any input on this. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you sure you need to be replacing parts. It's not at all uncommon for the clutch plates to stick together after a bike sits for a while. It will cause exactly the symptom you describe - a lurch right before killing the engine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you need to be replacing parts. It's not at all uncommon for the clutch plates to stick together after a bike sits for a while. It will cause exactly the symptom you describe - a lurch right before killing the engine.
Sure am sure,after I couldn't get the clutch to break loose, I tried doudlechecking the cable and clutch adjustment and that didn't work out, so I pulled the cover, to suddenly be looking at where the rod goes and, it wasn't there. Appreciate the input though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't it feel different without the rod though? Seems like the lever would have been soft, too easy to pull
Tom, I sure can't answer that one, it somehow, felt like there was something there. But there definitely isn't a pushrod in there. So, I have to come up with one though..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy, some of you, are going to think I have lost it and others are liable to think I never had it, to lose!

Can I Plead Insanity??? All I can figure is that, I have been beating my head against an electrical issue that I have been trying to deal with, with our Town & Country Minivan! Anyone who has had to deal with this 5th generation electrical system on these, might be able to feel sympathetic toward my complete foul up, with this. I feel like my brains are scrambled eggs, trying to troubleshoot a modern electrical sytem like they have.
:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts