Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this post is being created to start a project log from scratch. i've posted some random pics of my current status all over this board to help me along, but i'm starting from the beginning here. it's raining out and my tattoo apt isn't for another hour so...

the bike as i got it in may of 2008. i hadn't touched a motorcycle in my life until this one. worked on or ridden! got licensed and bought this (i'm not telling how much as i now believe i over paid, but whatever, its been a BLAST!). it started right up, registered it and rode it all summer long. didn't change a thing for the entire summer of 2008. wintered at a shed here in jersey and summer of 2009 started getting more and more interested in bobbers, trackers, cafes, brats and just generally cool mods for bikes, ALL motorcycles. this summer i may upgrade to some british metal but well see. i will forever be a fan of hondas and twins because of this bike. end of the summer of 09 i ran into some serious problems as you'll see, but i got back up and running with the help of this board and some local help. started thinking about a winter kitchen build as it got colder out (as i have no garage). i'm REALLY happy with my progress to date, and i'll try to fill in all the cracks between then and now. once i'm done (if ever), this 1971 cb450 k4 is gonna be fun to ride and i think a real head turner...
[attachment=1:2bonkaxw]IMG_0226.JPG[/attachment:2bonkaxw]
[attachment=0:2bonkaxw]IMG_0227.JPG[/attachment:2bonkaxw]
seth

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i guess i'll start with the problems i ran into in the late summer of 2009 as that is when i started really thinking i'd have the guts to tear into this bike and really modify it. in short, a piston exploded while riding. it wasn't awful, i was just a few seconds away from my house. going maybe 15mph, BAM! and the engine dies. i have since learned that my cam followers were BADLY damaged and tightened way outta whack. !!!pay attention to those cam followers new guys!!! i'm still not 100% sure of the relationship between a follower and a valve and a piston (but i now have a general idea) but i do KNOW FOR SURE that things must be adjusted correctly and if anything is badly worn your taking a real chance riding with it.
[attachment=2:9w699jvy]IMG_0075.JPG[/attachment:9w699jvy]
[attachment=3:9w699jvy]IMG_0074.JPG[/attachment:9w699jvy]
i found a new cylinder head and piston head here in jersey that seemed to fit and a local guy cleaned all the old bits out of my bottom halves and put everything back together for me. this included one new valve, one new piston, 4 new followers and 2 new cams i think. all of this was of course used but in decent condition according to my guy. he gave me back an engine that was bench adjusted and i'd have to button everything up. i actually upgraded some of the gaskets he used and ordered a new SS bolt kit at this time.
[attachment=0:9w699jvy]DSC00066.JPG[/attachment:9w699jvy]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jump ahead to to october/november of 2009. motor runs, bike runs but its cold out and i start to take it apart outside of my apartment and bring things into my kitchen piece by piece. first thing i do is order some new wider rims and tires as i KNOW that i want that fatter tracker-tire look for this bike. i end up with firestone deluxe champions. 19 400 front 18 450 rear i think(i can verify if anyone really wants to know). i find a shop that will powdercoat my existing hubs and new rims and i order new spokes as well.
[attachment=1:18kgqnnx]14532_308320220566_862220566_9505527_7297779_n.jpg[/attachment:18kgqnnx]
i OVERPAY to have the wheels trued up and tires put on, but at least i have a look to my project now and a direction to go in. and yeah this really all did happen in my kitchen. next i order some low motorcross bars from renthal and some white grips from china! i like em and i'm sticking with em!
[attachment=0:18kgqnnx]14532_311645835566_862220566_9553793_4254562_n.jpg[/attachment:18kgqnnx]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
next, if any body is listening, i decide i'm gonna murder out my engine. i know it runs well as i took it for a few spins before the season was over. i meticulously clean every inch of it that i can get to. i take every single cover off and clean and clean and then clean some more. i tape up what needs to be and decide i'm gonna paint it as a whole. two coats of self etching primer and a few coats of dupli color engine enamel. some of the covers i even bake in my oven, don't tell my dinner guests the next time i make dinner...
[attachment=3:aznfs9ed]DSC00068.JPG[/attachment:aznfs9ed]
gotta get the bottom, you never know who might see that
[attachment=2:aznfs9ed]DSC00076.JPG[/attachment:aznfs9ed]
[attachment=1:aznfs9ed]DSC00077.JPG[/attachment:aznfs9ed]
the result is better than i could have imagined. i put it all back together and buy some black pipe wrap and some new megaphone mufflers(pics in my next post!) isn't this fun!!! go chop and paint your perfectly well running motorcycle!
[attachment=0:aznfs9ed]16331_329356780566_862220566_9775405_6238595_n.jpg[/attachment:aznfs9ed]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
an audience? well then, i will continue. so when i mocked up the engine i realized i had a decent look here. i started to think about some frame modifications i'd seen on other jap bikes so i did the natural thing and went out and bought a grinder!
[attachment=4:npa3y0hs]Mobile Photo Feb 5, 2010 11 09 51 AM.jpg[/attachment:npa3y0hs]
first came the rear foot rest brackets. i'm a lone wolf, HA!
[attachment=3:npa3y0hs]Mobile Photo Mar 14, 2010 12 04 32 PM.jpg[/attachment:npa3y0hs]
[attachment=2:npa3y0hs]Mobile Photo Mar 14, 2010 12 04 57 PM.jpg[/attachment:npa3y0hs]
cleaned up the cut and a quick coat of primer just top seal up the bare metal, i might have actually painted that in my kitchen...
[attachment=0:npa3y0hs]Mobile Photo Mar 14, 2010 12 05 22 PM.jpg[/attachment:npa3y0hs]
next came both the rear fender (protruding) mounts of the frame and the big bracket that goes up and over where the rear fender hangs from. those end pieces might also be where the rear turn signals mounted? i forget. i plan to weld a return 1/2 loop to my cut sections. with it i'm hoping to get a little bit of a flip up to the new welded piece. i like the look and that kind of frame mod and that will determine my seat pan shape. my old seat is long gone... (the new hagons just came the other day but this photo shows a good view of my frame chops)
[attachment=1:npa3y0hs]Mobile Photo Mar 4, 2010 11 09 02 AM.jpg[/attachment:npa3y0hs]

it's about this time that i find out a friend of mine has a FULL crazy equipped metal shop just a ride away and he's gotten himself into a 550 project. the shop has a blast cabinet, drill presses, welders, lathes, ban saws, grinders, etc. we buy a powdercoat gun build a booth and find an old oven to bake the stuff in. the rest of the build gains even more momentum. now is when it really starts to get good!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lookin good man, enjoy your bud's shop, im slowly starting to acquire the tools and equipment to build my "dream shop"
Godspeed
-Dan from south jersey

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks fellas. so a few notables and odds and ends while i got familiar with drill presses at the shop. speed holes or swiss cheese? you tell me. either way, i like!

drum brake arm-stay-metal-piece(what do you call that?) anyway, drilled out, bad photo...
[attachment=3:31dwp1ev]DSC00097.JPG[/attachment:31dwp1ev]

clutch cover. my own personal pattern. big small - repeat... disassembled, painted, drilled, and re-assembled.
[attachment=2:31dwp1ev]DSC00138.JPG[/attachment:31dwp1ev]

couple more drilled out pieces hiding here and there but i'll save them for the final reveal.

some additionally some parts i've ordered between then and now:
megaphone mufflers, came as chrome- sand blasted and painted with hi-temp paint
new SS brake line and master cylinder and lever
tapered bearings (install this weekend, expect questions from me)
new petcock
[attachment=1:31dwp1ev]DSC00136.JPG[/attachment:31dwp1ev]

and some stuff i've made or removed or updated:
chopped front fender, mounting this is tricky but i'll make it work
going badge-less on my tank and removed my side covers all together
bad battery box attempt, i have some other options i'm going to try out
brushed aluminum controls(both sides)
found a really cool new much smaller headlight (this is the stock version) and a clever way to mount it, you'll see...

and lastly just two small examples of what our harbor freight bought powdercoater/found oven has done
brake stuff:
[attachment=0:31dwp1ev]DSC00139.JPG[/attachment:31dwp1ev]

i'll keep the updates coming. next might be the (i think) NOW VERY SEXY tank i'm currently dealing with. albeit leaking and a few pics of the bike now transferred out to the street! spring is here!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the direction your going with this bike. I'm doing something similar with a 76 Cb500T, following wrenchmonkees style bikes. What and where is the muffler from?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Quick question. Where'd you get that stainless brake line with the lower fitting like that? How much was it? Also, on the end that attaches to the caliper, does the fitting spin on the line itself or what??

I've been shopping for stainless (clear plastic coated stainless) brake lines as one piece from the master cylinder to the caliper but haven't had a lot of luck finding ones with the correct end on the lower part. Link??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I've been shopping for stainless (clear plastic coated stainless) brake lines as one piece from the master cylinder to the caliper but haven't had a lot of luck finding ones with the correct end on the lower part. Link??
You'll probably have to have one made, GB - I've never seen one the right length to go one-piece on a 450.....

It might not be as expensive as it sounds though.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GB-
http://www.slingshot-cycles.com/ somebody here recommended them, maybe steve? i emailed Shaun Stewart at slingshot told him my bike, what i wanted, etc. they got right back to me with some recommendations. i told him exactly what i was looking for, clear, SS, one piece, and they hooked it up. and no, the banjo bolt doesn't spin on the line if thats what you mean. easy transaction and just under 50 smackers.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Not the upper banjo end but the lower end of the mine. The upper is called a banjo fitting. The bottom is not a banjo on your line. It has a fitting pretty much identical to regular automotive hard lines do. Does it spin on the hard line that goes through it? It looks like it's solid/one piece.

What I'm saying is, when you installed it onto the brake caliper did you have to spin the entire line and then fasten the upper to the master cylinder?

Or does the lower threaded fitting spin on the hard line?

GB

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
BIRD!... Think man!.... It would HAVE to spin with the bend right next to it.... There's no room to spin the whole line, it would hit the caliper....LOL.... GOTCHA!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Doh! I didn't think of the bend.. When I blew up the picture it looked like the inner line had a smooth joint or solder joint where it meets the fitting. Like a radiused bead/solderjoint/weld, whatever.. My bad.

Thanks for setting my brain straight Steve. 4 hours of sleep last night has me kind of fuzzy I guess. :|

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: And I only got three hours sleep.......
We need a "D'oh" moment catagory for the upcoming Homer awards show.... :D Steve

laughing with you, not at you.....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GB, hardline spins? yes laughing with you...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I know you are Steve.. I have a laugh at others expense ALL THE TIME, so anyone laughing at me is just karma getting even with me.. :p

Ferris, now you're just confusing me yet again. I WAS asking if the lower fitting spun on the hard line. No need anymore though..

Double DOH!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts