Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the Craigslist ad:
"My grandpa parked this bike in 1972 in his garage and it wasn't out again until 2004. My brother tinkered with it and put it back in the garage until I got it worked on at the end of last summer. I had the carbs rebuilt, new fuel lines, filters and plugs. I ran it for about 75 miles before parking it for the winter. The left cylinder is having some trouble firing and I don't have the knowledge to work on it. The battery is drained so I jump it to get it going.
I cleaned off most of the chrome. There are a few spots of rust on the gas tank (I've taken a picture of one.)"

We are currently working on the left cylinder problem & hope to have this bike at Mid-America in July.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
They won't run correctly with a bad battery, unless you carry the "jumper" battery in your lap....Once disconnected from the jump, you don't have enough power to run properly....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup! Thanks! for the info. We are starting from the beginning of the manual...points, plugs, valves, carbs, etc. We will find the problem and beat it into submission... It is a machine after all.
Richard

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lovely- a nice original survivor!

And good for you for not "improving" it by trying to turn it into yet another attempt at a cafe racer!

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's true. I love honda cafes but that is a nice one to restore or just ride it as it is. All of the ones that I have got the bodies were shot, if they even had any of the body left. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
looks like a nice easy project to deal with. some color i got too but mines got a little more work behind it. hope it goes smooth for you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First ride today! Awesome ride. Everything seems to work OK. Brakes will lock the tires...

Runs to 9K in all gears but 5th. I am a big guy...300lbs...wide & tall so 8K is the new redline...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love the colour of your bike! I got a spare gold tank with my ratty, black 350. No matching gold side covers but can't bear to part with it.

Are you keeping the high handlebars? It's a good look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep! I do not have any plans to change this one from stock. Anyone needing close pics for documentation should let me know & I will accomodate. Survivors are rare birds & need to be shared.
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts