Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, from Denver, Colorado.

I picked this CL450 up, a few weeks ago, and I have been having a blast on it. I want to do a Brat-style modification to it, but nothing that I can't reverse, in case I decide to go back to stock.

I installed the Lockhart/Phillips turn signals, the week I bought it, and just bought a stock rear fender from a fellow on eBay, so I can bob this fender, but have the option to go back to factory stock. Another eBay seller has provided a "cafe" tail light.

The bike was repainted, at some time in the past, and I love the slightly worn/oldschool custom look, so I won't be doing any painting.

Other planned mods: classic Firestone tires from Coker (4.00x19 and 4.00x18), Ducati Monster handlebars (left-overs from my old 800m), wire headlight screen, remove the front fender. For now, I think that will be sufficient to make the bike "custom", but retain the Scrambler feel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good lookin' bike. If you're going for a BratStyle feel, you might look into a smaller tail light and a thinned seat (shave the foam and recover it). Aside from what you're already planning, that'll get you a pretty sweet look, but those are the things that seem to be pretty common on those bikes. I keep tossing the look back and forth for my bike, and I just can't seem to decide where to take it :roll:

Have fun with it. Looks like you found a gem!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice looking bike, I look forward to seeing what you will do with it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool bike. Looking forward to updates.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I'm subscribing to this build also, as I will be starting a CL450 myself later this year :D Keep us updated and post as many pics as you see fit.....we all have a mad appetite for progress pics here at Hondatwins :? :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the stock tail light, today.

I bought a stock fender off of eBay (this one had already been shortened, a little), so that I can go back to stock, if I choose. It came in, yesterday, so I figured it was time to start working on the bike.

The new light had the same spacing between bolts, as the old one, so I utilized the upper holes in the fender for the mount:

I masked off the line I wanted to cut, and marked it with a Sharpie. Once I peeled the tape off, it left a nice clean line to follow with the angle grinder.

I ran the wires through the grommet in the fender, just like the original wires were routed, and then through the guide under the fender. I didn't want to see the wires running out of the light and under the seat.

Got it all wired up, and went to catch the afternoon light for a beauty shot. Unfortunately, I was in such a hurry to catch the sun, that I forgot to trim the angles in the sides of the fender.

So, back to the grinder. The light is not as good, but the fender is a more pleasing shape, now. I'll get some edge trim, this week, and cover the raw cut so that it won't rust.

It has a long way to go, before it looks like what I have in my head, but you've got to start somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't have the room or the time to disassemble the bike and do all of the mods, at once.

Next up, ordering the Firestone tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm not one to really talk money on stuff, like this. I will say that I have spent about $150 on parts, so far, and I paid a fairly premium price for the bike, itself...they are hard to find in the Denver area.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looking good with the CL450, don't usually see someone keep parts to go back to stock and
THAT'S cool too! I'll be keeping up with THIS one as well. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called up Omar's, yesterday, to order some $99.00 shocks but...

Those vintage shocks are all gone, so I went with the new replacements - $199.00 (with chrome springs). That just about triples my parts cost, thus far. :|

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Highest quality accessory I've ever had on a bike!

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the links. I'd like to point out that I've dealt with Omar's for years, and I am always happy with them. There is a note on the website that the supply of OEM vintage shocks was getting short, so I would not characterize this as "bait and switch", at all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I too have dealt with Omar's, and i'm not displeased, the exhaust fit fine and while i had some issues with my rearsets Rob was helpful and quite punctual with his replies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's good to know. Some of his products are very cool and I've been thinking of building a bike with a flat-tracker look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I installed the Hagon shocks, Wednesday. They are the 13.2" length, which I understand is the stock length. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The ones I took off were 12" from bolt to bolt. So, the new shocks raised the rear a bit (I can see it, but I have looked at this bike a lot, you may not).

It makes a big difference in handling. Obviously, actually having some damping, rather than pogo sticks on the rear, helps that. But, I think the new stance changed the head angle a bit, maybe back to stock, and that quickened things up a bit.

I rode it about 60 miles, today, including my first foray onto a US highway with a 60mph speed limit. Ran like a champ, and rode pretty nice, at speed, for a 40 year-old scoot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts