Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick (?) question....

If my CL350 is charging the battery properly, the battery voltage should jump up as soon as the bike is running, correct?

I've been keeping my battery on a trickle charger and it always reads between 12 and 12.5v. When I start the bike (which is very difficult - another issue perhaps) the voltage doesn't change at the battery. It seems to move a bit, but very quickly settles down to where it was before the bike was started. Shouldn't it jump up IMMEDIATELY to something closer to 14v and stay there? The battery is less than a year old, although several cells were a 1/3-1/2 low on distilled water when I bought the bike in July. I've since topped them up and the amount of corrosion inside the battery seems minor.

I think I'll take the battery to get tested, but I'm still wondering if I have a charging system failure. I tested the rectifier and despite it's old age it checked out fine. The regulator is about the only other thing I would think could die. I haven't tested the stator, but it looks like new and these don't appear to fail too often.

I've also hard starting/idling trouble since I bought the bike. I won't go into that here, but I now wonder if it's related.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
No...The voltage output of the alternator is a function of rev speed.....Usually will read 11.5 V after e-starting for a bit, and gradually rise back as the revs or time of charging increases.... Probably won"t hit over 13V until 4000+ revs......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Sprint said:
No...The voltage output of the alternator is a function of rev speed.....Usually will read 11.5 V after e-starting for a bit, and gradually rise back as the revs or time of charging increases.... Probably won"t hit over 13V until 4000+ revs......
Great. Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye on it (once it's working better of course). I might clip on the voltmeter and ride it for a while to get a feel for what it's doing.

To 'fix' my starting issue I'm gonna re-check the points/timing again, take it for a short run to warm it up, and then try to sync the carbs. We'll see what happens!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got her running! Carb sync (and faster idle) completed solved the problem.

The bike seems to be charging. It was 12v when I left for a ride this morning and 30 miles later it was at 12.5v again. Looks like I'm all set for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts