Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this bike recently as a parts bike to go with my other 1970 CB 250 super sport. From what i can tell the bike had been sitting in a barn since around 2001 until the PO picked it up from the estate of the original owner a year or so ago. Bike had around 40,000 miles on it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Its definitely what you would call crusty! The PO got through tearing the bike down before the job became to time consuming for him. This is how i bought it....lots of parts. Interestingly he had got the frame stripped and primed but never painted which was handy.

Room Furniture Wood Shoe Exercise equipment

I was able to grab a few things off the bike for my 1970 CB 250 super sport which im trying to get back stock but i had the engine sitting there. So for a bit of fun i thought i would tear down the engine and see what sort of condition it was in. I didnt have great expectations...

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

However...the engine was in remarkably better condition than i was expecting. Everything was well within spec and the inside of the engine itself was pretty clean. Im thinking the original owner had taken pretty good care of this bike, which apparently was his daily ride. I believe that it had been sitting around in a barn since his death before the family decided to get rid of it. Looks like the left side of the bike had been exposed to the weather as everything down that side was rusty.

So i have a frame that has been stripped and primed and a engine that, despite appearances, would seem to be a good candidate for a rebuild. Everything else though was very rusty will need to be replaced. I have never rebuilt an engine but given what i paid for it and the parts that i have been able to use on my other bike I might as well go for it.

Shout out to Tony aka Saturdays Wrench for the inspiration with his great CB350 rebuild videos.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The clean up begins. I rang the local vapour blaster yesterday for quote. Cases would have to be clean and free of oil and grease and it would be $750....:eek: Sure ill get back to you one that! Looks like im cleaning these myself.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor

The remnants of the Mud Wasps is proving to be the hardest thing to clean up....

Rust Auto part

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad start - im pretty happy with the results so far. Its not easy work though!

Auto part Auto part

The rusty bolts along the left side of the bike are proving to be an issue

Auto part Circle Metal

I did discover that the original color was candy red!

Rust Fender Metal Gas Fuel tank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent the weekend cracking through this. The engine rebuild is coming along. I have started work on the top end. In case you're wondering, yes, I am rebuilding this engine in the house. The laundry sink is also working out to be a handy parts cleaner. There are some advantages to being divorced! :D

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Carburetor

Im looking for some recommendations on the carbs. As you can see the ones that came with this bike are kaput. Im planning to run the standard air filter on this bike. Am I best to look at a set of Mikuni's?? Any help would be appreciated.

Personal protective equipment Auto part

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Things coming together nicely. Engine back together and frame painted.

Currently finishing off polishing the sidecovers and trying to work out which way to go with the front forks. Also purchased new rims and spokes today.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part

Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Looks great !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rims arrived today and im hopeful of having a roller by this time next week. Got the engine into the frame and the new bearings installed in the stem this week.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part

Also lots of polishing and painting going on. Trying to re-use whatever original parts i have if you smell what im cooking. :D

Auto part

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swing arm is on. In the end it was a lot simpler than i was expecting to get on the bike. My rims and spokes showed up yesterday and today I picked up a nice set of Pirelli's to go on them. I have started cleaning up the hubs and was very happy to find new bearings and brake shoes on the front hub - not as much luck with the back but Ill take the small victory. Hopefully by Monday i have a roller......although im really going to have to think about getting this bike out of the spare room and downstairs into the garage.

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Auto part Chassis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making some progress without really making progress! Since the last update i have got the battery box, tool box, ignition switch and horn cleaned up, painted and on the bike. I did hope to have a roller at this stage. However despite getting the front wheel laced up I had some trouble getting the rear hub out of the old wheel (nothing that a dremel wasn't able to fix).

I had been buying parts as i needed them but realised I really needed to bite the bullet and buy all the parts i need, which i have now done. Also sent a heap of stuff off to get re-plated which has slowed me down. Have a few packages coming in this week so I should be able to really get cracking. :D

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Tire

·
Registered
587 Posts
Are you using one of those hex key bolt kits you can find on ebay for ~$30? i've been thinking about getting a set for my CL175. Another question, when you install the new gaskets, do you use a sealer? Or is it unnecessary when the gaskets are new?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you using one of those hex key bolt kits you can find on ebay for ~$30? i've been thinking about getting a set for my CL175. Another question, when you install the new gaskets, do you use a sealer? Or is it unnecessary when the gaskets are new?
Yeah i picked up a kit off eBay. I had no problems with them and a hell of a lot easier than trying to put a set together at the local hardware shop. As for the gaskets, as long as the surfaces are nice and clean you wont need sealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a few weeks since i have touched this project. I have a good excuse though....spend the last few weeks on this Honda Blade in Vietnam! It served me pretty well.

Vehicle Sky Motorcycle Iron Cloud

Except for this flat tyre i survived. I wont complain about my local road conditions, traffic and drivers anytime soon.....anyways time to get back into this project and get it finished off.

Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of progress in the last week. I have a front end! Starting to see a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. Still working out a solution for the springs and waiting for a couple parts to mount the speedo and tach . Got a heap of parts back from the platers which have come up great. Also have started to get the electrics in place.

The back hub is proving to be a pain at the moment. Trying to find someone local with a bearing retainer tool. Hopefully i can sort that out this week and get myself a roller.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And we have a roller! Made some pretty decent progress in the past couple weeks. Wheels and muffler is on. I have made a start on the electrics (which im oddly really enjoying). Left to do is paint, electrics, new seat and carbs.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Tire

I have wrapped the exhaust. They were a little to pitted to really do anything else and i dont have the budget for new ones. Im really happy with the short-cut muffler as well.

Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Appreciate any thoughts on the front end. Im pretty happy with how its come together. I utilised the existing rubbers on the top bridge, put in some 10mm bolts and attached the speedo and tach from the bottom. I think it should work out.

Helmet Vehicle Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting close....

A few little things to do, chain install, shorten and install cables, new rear sprocket bolts & studs, emblems and waiting on a new rectifier/regulator combo from Common Motor. Ohhh yeah.......and i need to get it out of the house. :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can I ask you a question?
Those springs on your front forks, were those part of the original forks? I have a '71 CB 350 and I have the metal fork covers/tubes, and I was wondering if, under those metal covers, are there springs? When I service the front end I'll find out, but was just curious if you just took off those metal covers to expose those springs (or if it's a different fork assembly all together)

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, that is the original set up on the forks minus the covers. I believe this was the last year they had them on the outside. The only issue is that because of the covers Honda only ever chromed up so far as you can see. I think ill just paid over that area.

The springs have been plated. Im having some retainers made up to go at the top and bottom of them.

Tire Auto part Suspension part Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 19 of 19 Posts