Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago my buddy bought a house, and this was in the basement tied up to the wall. It was pretty dusty, and the front end was gone but for the most part it looked alright and turned over easily. Bikes story is: The old man that owned the house crashed into a parked car coming down the street in 1978. He scared himself, removed the fork, drained the gas and stuck it into the corner. They actually sent my friend the title a few weeks after they bought the house too. Long story short, I ended up getting the bike off him last weekend.

Last weekend we spent a few hours cleaning things up, checked the carbs and they were spotless. Checked the plugs and they were still perfect, gas tank was still shiny and rust free, hoses were crap so we robbed them of another bike in the shop, electrical looked good. So we charged up a battery, said a few hail mary's and started kicking. Oh yeah, no key so we had to do away with he ignition for now.

She coughed out a crap load of rust from the pipes, but after around 30 kicks or so she chugged a couple times. We hi-5'd danced a quick jig and kept kicking. Bam, she let loose!!! 30 years sitting in a basement tied to a wall, with it's back tire in a storm drain and no front end, but damn she sounds good. Couldn't believe it.

So now I've waded through a few other Honda forums, and found one that has been able to answer all the questions I've had so far and tons that I never fathomed would come up.

Here is a few pictures of my bike as she sits now, she is my first Honda. I've got a ton of cool ideas and am stoked to see how they materialize.

[attachment=4:35ebpg9j]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450.jpg[/attachment:35ebpg9j]
[attachment=3:35ebpg9j]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450 (2).jpg[/attachment:35ebpg9j]
[attachment=2:35ebpg9j]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450 (3).jpg[/attachment:35ebpg9j]
[attachment=1:35ebpg9j]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450 (4).jpg[/attachment:35ebpg9j]
[attachment=0:35ebpg9j]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450 (6).jpg[/attachment:35ebpg9j]

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Going to try and find a set of wheels, stem bearings and handle bars tomorrow. Then possibly a set of tires next week.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I don't know what your considering but I'd recommend a set of tapered roller bearings for the steering neck.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was planning on going with All Balls 22-1011. I wasn't able to find a set of viable rims for the project today, but I've got a couple old heads on the hunt for me. Hopefully they will pull through. I did find a stem nut, pod filters, handle bars and an old harely exhaust pipe we are going to try and make a 2 to 1 out of. I also found a tiny a$$ boxier tank that may work into the build at some time. Will add some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve- Will this one work? From what we talked about the other night I think I'm on the right track. Am I?
[attachment=0:1tikdewy]78 cb550.jpg[/attachment:1tikdewy]

I also ordered my stem bearings from All Balls (part 21-1011), and a front axel off ebay. And then I did my bike budget tonight as well, I'm within 3 bucks of busting. I still need so much stuff.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes, that wheel will work.....I'll see if I can scrounge up the rotor, axle, and speedo drive for you.... :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
66Sprint said:
Yes, that wheel will work.....I'll see if I can scrounge up the rotor, axle, and speedo drive for you.... :D
I scored an axle last night, but I'm all for the rotor and speedo drive! Wheel and axle should be here next week, bearings on thursday or friday, and then I can start piecing her together. Can't wait!

-Hzlscm

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worked on the bike for most of the afternoon, started cleaning up some rust, removed the side covers, stock air filters and rear pegs, installed K&N pods, and stripped the MX bars for paint. I also did some research and found out the little box tank I bought the other day is from an Italian moped company. They did some cool stuff, racing 50, 90 and 125cc's with huge fairings and skinny ass tires. The tank is no more than 1/2 gallon, so it would be a great for a bar hopper, but not sure if it going to work on this bike. None the less it'll look good on the shelf for now.

All the parts I ordered this week have shipped and should start getting in pretty soon. I need to get my bars painted and find some controls. Really hoping to get this done in the next few weeks!!!
[attachment=1:236umv2g]P1040231.jpg[/attachment:236umv2g]
[attachment=0:236umv2g]P1040232b.jpg[/attachment:236umv2g]
[attachment=4:236umv2g]P1040230.JPG[/attachment:236umv2g]

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big day today, started off with morning coffee and a quick look at the new bikes on craigslist. When I found a 1976 cb750 parts bike in good shape and had a title for sale. [attachment=2:328q9mv3]1976 cb 750.jpg[/attachment:328q9mv3] [attachment=1:328q9mv3]1976 cb 750 rear .jpg[/attachment:328q9mv3]I also noticed the add was placed by the same salvage guy, I scored the tank, bars and pod filters from the other day. I called up Mr. Steve (thanks again) to confirm the front end would swap over, and then went to check it out. Even though I'd just bought another front fork, front 19'' rim & tire, a front axle, and bars, I really like the idea of running the 750 forks in the 450 trees. And the title and price where very appealing. Needless to say, I picked it up and brought it home, unloaded it in the garage and ran off to class to take a final.

After class, and passing my final, I shot home and started tearing the parts bike apart. After a closer look the parts bike wasn't in that bad of shape, other than a stuck motor and a bad paint job, this thing is pretty much complete. The tires on it are in great shape, and have a lot of life left. Then I started tearing it down, to get the parts I want off, mainly the front end and the tires, but also took off the rear disc and caliper and the kick start just in case.

Then we swapped out the 450 legs with the 750 ones pushing them through an extra 1" 1/2 (is this a good amount Steve or can I go a bit mor?), and got the 450 to stand on it's own 2 wheels. [attachment=0:328q9mv3]1968 Honda cl450 new front end.jpg[/attachment:328q9mv3] First time in 30 years!!! And from then on out, I flopped the clutch the right side, got the original throttle working a bit better (it is still pretty sticky but will return with a bit of help.)

Four hours later, we pushed it into the alley I grabbed my helmet, and after a couple more clutch adjustments I took her down the alley for her maiden voyage!!! Never thought this morning that she would be just about road worthy by this evening. So awesome! I still need to take the rear tire off the 750 rim and swap it to the 450's, and move some of the controls and gauges over but it felt good on the trip down the alley. I still think I may have an easier time with the clutch if I go to a thumb throttle, twisting the throttle while letting out he clutch took a few times to get going but I got it damn it!

Man I knew I should have waited to buy my other disc 19 rim and axle, if anyone is in the market I may be able to help you out. I'll post something in the parts bin, along with some of the 750 extras. I will also take a few more picture tomorrow, after swapping the speedo and putting in the new stem bearings that UPS man should be bringing tomorrow. Yeah, so stoked!!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
A titled 750 F no less.....Good score!.....
That rear master will be just the thing for the proportioning set-up we discussed (to work the front brake) and welding on another lever arm will allow it to simultaneously operate the 450's rear drum as well....Then it's just a matter of adjustments and a sprung override......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is an awesome coincidence Steve, I've pulled the rear brake, bracket and master off and put it aside.

Just got back from Alaska, and spent the last two days in the garage painting the bars and getting my rear wheel ready for paint and a new tire and tube. While in Alaska I did have some time to do some soul searching for color schemes, and think I've got a good idea which way I'd like to go. A flat-track'esk bobber with flat black and matte olive green tins. I think I'm going to go with a top mounted mustang or peanut tank, solo seat, and a short rear fender with a small brake light. Still not sure if I want to got with rigid struts or smaller shocks, but I do plan to grind off the rear passenger peg mounts and a couple inches of the back of the frame.

So now that I've got a more solid plan in my head, I got started. I put a couple light coat of black primer on the MX bars, set them in the other room to dry, and then started wet sanding the rust off the rear wheel. After cleaning it up, there was a couple spots that were just hosed and I had to wire wheel them down. The spokes and center drum cleaned up nice. De-greased the hell out of the wheel a few times, and enjoyed a tasty adult beverage while letting the stuff really soak in, before laying down a few light coats or primer down. Going to west sand it in the morning, again and give it a couple more coats. And I'm also going to start polishing the read drum face, think it would look good polished up! Will post a few pictures in the morning.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple more coats on the rim today starting to look alright. Noting spectacular but will work for now, going to polish up the drum cover tomorrow. Semi gloss black and polished should look pretty cool. Seat is just for a size comparison. I also removed the rear fender and turn signals, and set a new mustang tank (donated by Neighbor J, thanks dude!!) up top to see if I liked it.

What do you guys think, she's starting to come around.
[attachment=3:1nqvkyy1]1968 CBCL450 6-23-10 (3) b.jpg[/attachment:1nqvkyy1]
[attachment=4:1nqvkyy1]1968 CBCL450 6-23-10 (14).JPG[/attachment:1nqvkyy1]
[attachment=2:1nqvkyy1]1968 CBCL450 6-23-10 (11).JPG[/attachment:1nqvkyy1]
[attachment=1:1nqvkyy1]1968 CBCL450 6-23-10 (19).JPG[/attachment:1nqvkyy1]
[attachment=0:1nqvkyy1]1968 CBCL450 6-23-10 (16).JPG[/attachment:1nqvkyy1]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
If you are looking for opinions, I dont like the tank either. I like the headlight and the wheels.
Don

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
OPINION....... I like the tank general shape, but also think a deeper tunnel (so it sits lower) would be better....I actually think the stock CL tank would be the best looking fitment...... BUT, it's your bike.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed I also think this tank sits to tall, and am not totally sold on it yet. Just got my rear wheel & tire back though,and looks pretty good beside the freakin' stick on weights. One last coat of paint and then a couple clears and it'll be back on the bike, probably tomorrow. This will also give me time to clean up the swing arm a tad, which looks pretty gross in a couple spots. Will post some pics later on today... Oh yeah while I was at the bike shop, I picked up some oil for a much needed oil change and some cool grips.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
66Sprint said:
Did you get the "thumb-throttle" assembly yet?
Nope not yet, my buddy says he's got one waiting for me. I just need to drive down and pick it up, but that's like 3 hours south. Soon, I hope...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I need to go down and help them finish up some house projects too. As well as pick up an old Yamaha enduro, my buddy wants out of the shop!! We should be going down around the 4th, so I don't have to wait that much longer. ... but having it now would be nice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts