Honda Twins banner

Muriatic acid disposal?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob Axel 
#1 ·
I have about 3 gallons of what is now 10% muriatic acid that I used for a tank cleaning that I now need to neutralize and dispose of. I have seen people empty their tank into a bucket of baking soda, but I would prefer something that didn't make a mess.

Any simple I ideas?

#4 ·
I'd advise slowly sprinkling the soda into the acid, not the other way around - it can jump right out of the bucket on you.
It WILL make a mess, you WILL need lots of soda. Keep adding till there's no longer any fizzing, then down the drain.

As an aside, muriatic is hydrochloric acid - many drain cleaners are the same stuff, maybe even stronger than your 10%.........

#11 ·
I went with this plan, could do 1/2 cup at a time without foaming over. Then followed the other suggestions of gravel/weed killer and dumped it over an area where some stone landscaping has been doing a poor job of keeping the weeds at bay.

Thank you for all the tips.

#7 ·
Baking soda... I used the pool strength, one gallon.. I swear I made 3 trips to the store to get enough to neutralize it. But once it was “dead”.. it was safe to dump..
But BE CAREFULL! When first sprinkling it on!

#8 ·
Harpic Power Plus toilet cleaner ( which works well in derusting petrol tanks ) contains 9% HCL, and it is obviously permissible to flush this down a domestic toilet, connected to mains sewer system..

Maybe not the whole 3 gallons in one go, but over a few days with plenty of flushes, seems like the simplest way of disposal.

#10 ·
This is why I switched to distilled white vinegar, a.k.a. acetic acid. I have used it twice on tanks if I have the time (it does lose it's effectiveness), and then it goes in an all purpose garden sprayer and works great as a weed killer! Cost less than $3/gallon in these parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.