Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether to re-chrome my mufflers on my 74' CB 450 K7 or replace them ? Both stock mufflers are solid but the Right one is scraped up pretty bad on the side near the cone end :cry:

Does anyone have a "Good" replacement muffler they are willing to sell ?

Or has anyone been using some Nice replacement mufflers that look similar to stock and sound good ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oagAAOSwB09YLhBa/s-l1600.jpg

Rick, Those look nice. Have you had any experience with the above mufflers ( Dunstall Look ) ?

The stock mufflers appear to be approx. 28" long and these 2 types are close to that. But "Quality" is my main concern and how they fit at the hanger bracket ? Do you have any input on that ?

Also, Doing some measurements of the O.D. header pipe, it measure slightly over 43mm. The inside diameter of this aftermarket muffler measure just over 41mm ? Doesn't appear that they will fit the stock header pipes ?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The passenger peg/muffler mount is ~14.5" from the header joint ring. Assuming those are 28", then the mount should work just find, as the rearmost point of the mounting channel would come to about 2" forward of the pegs. The ID is the problem, though; you may be able to use a pipe expander, if they are too small to fit. I don't know how the chrome would behave, though.

The ones from DCC are a near-perfect fit, and the universal mount (similar to the mount in your linked photo), has plenty of range to adjust the fit to your liking; the channel in them also comes to about 2" forward of the pegs.

The only thing in question is, are the pipes you linked actually mufflers, or just hollow tubes with minimal baffling? The ones from DCC are baffled, and not much louder than good stock mufflers; they have a more satisfying lower note, too. They also appear to cost less than what I found on eBay.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick, Appreciate you taking the time and answering this Post. I just like the look of the Dunstall muffler ends rather than cone shape but may be just a personal preference only. But as you indicated. these Dunstall type mufflers all appear to be top small of I.D. at the end that slips over the header pipes and that certainly wouldn't be good especially if having too spread the pipe.

Could you Post a picture of your Bike with the DCC pipes to give me a better idea how they look on the bike ?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
No re-jet required. The 'mufflers' I replaced were straight-through, with minimal baffling, to which I had added lollipop plugs to tone them down some. They were still really loud. The bike seems to start easier with the new mufflers, doesn't kill my ears on a longer ride, but the performance is as good, or better, than with the previous ones. I didn't have stock mufflers on it, because they were too rusted, and starting to split.

One other thing: none of these mufflers have provisions for the rubber bits that protect the stock ones from the side or center stands. I use a length of auto heater hose, heated with a hot air gun, to slide over the center stand arm, and a smaller diameter hose, split down the side, and glued to the foot of the side stand, to protect the pipe. The latter is shaved, so putting the stand down doesn't push it free of the glue I attached it with. We'll see how long that lasts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.