Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made some progress on the ressurection of my 450 K1 this week.

Today I put the exhaust pipes back on, after putting the carbs ane air filters back. My worry is that the two sides are different; meaning teh gap between cylinder and joint is different on the two sides.

On the left side, everything seems to fit nicely and the length of studs protruding through the nuts is even. ON teh right, however, there is a gap between the cylinder and the joint and the studs are uneven - sorry last pic is not great, but you can see what I mean (I think).

Left Side.jpg

Right Gap.jpg Right Studs.jpg

My question is, "Is this OK, or is something amiss on the right side?"

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did.

I actually had them every way possible in my attempts to get them to seat properly. Then went back to the first way I tried: lip of collar out, sitting in the recess in the joint.

I wondered if it might be something to do with the gasket. I didn't replace these and the ones that were there have been there a long time ....

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I was thinking that the gasket on that side wasn't cleaned out before replacing, but that opinion has changed. ;)
Maybe the PO stacked them on that side, not cleaning the old ones out before installing new ones? It happens, since it's really dark in there, and they tend to blacken over time. In any case, make sure the old ones are really cleaned out and put in new; it will be better if you do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It may be the gasket. It may also be that one stud got slightly unscrewed when you removed them. However, it does not look too uneven to me, from the photo, and I would not worry about that. It is doubtful whether all the studs were inserted to exactly the same length at the factory.

Try starting it. If it does not leak, it's alright. But if the gaskets are bad, you should replace them.

Also, I always use copper grease on all exhaust-related fasteners. Makes removal a lot easier after a while. I also grease the exhaust gaskets with copper grease, and the contact between the muffler and the header (if it is not one-piece).
And, I do not know if you used original nuts or not, but I just tend to prefer flange nuts for the exhaust collars. It just fits better, and does not tend to unfasten itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks.

I'll try starting and see what happens.

Then I'll replace them. This will take a while as delivery to Harare is ..... emm ... slow.

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts