Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried finding something in the FSM about these mufflers no dice really.

But doggone it the right side keeps falling off no matter how tight I tighten the dadgum bolts.

[SUB]Breathe Thomas.[/SUB] [SUP]breathe.[/SUP]

I just pulled off the highway and started down the country road back home when the muffler just popped off without any warning. It didn't rattle, it didn't do anything to alert me, just away it went!
That said, I'd hate to lose it again at 65 MPH. As for dropping it at 25 MPH it's got some dings and I'm about to go remount it when it cools, but I can't figure out why it keeps dropping.

I think I'm just venting because it has fallen off twice in the last two weeks. The first one is on me since I let a friend torque it on without me checking the tightness. But this one is legit since I did the work.

I'm going to go find a wrench now.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The pipe end it fits onto is probably crushed a little allowing a loose fit even though the clamp is tight. A muffler shop should have a pipe expander to stretch it back out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try the Tek Screw as a last resort. I pulled it off and found three "shims" in there that were pressed together, I spread them back out and refit them again with a re-alignment of the clamp. I will have to recheck the bolts after every ride until I'm convinced the problem is fixed. Otherwise a Stainless tek screw could happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts