Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I've got a K6 with some very scruffy mufflers. I've seen a NOS set of K0/1/2 mufflers, but can't work out whether the earlier mufflers are compatible with the later header pipes.

Anyone know whether the joint dimensions are similar/the same - and are there any other incidentals I need to be aware of (side/centre stand touching points and so on)?

I'm sure I've seen this topic discussed before, but right now I can't find the thread. So apologies for the pearost.

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Neil'
The k1/2 will fit straight on but not sure about the k/0 set as the mounting points are totally different for the four speed model, you say they are k0/1/2 you need to clarify which one as they can not be for both bikes(the k1/2 being essentially the same machine!)
As a matter of interest how much are they asking, and does it include the headers, i am only being nosey as i have a complete n.o.s. set including headers that have lived in my wardrobe for the last 15 years since i bought them!
cheers
Phillip

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phill

I'm not 100% sure about what model they're for, but I think they're for the later bikes. Having looked at a few pictures, the back sides - and specifically the mount points - look remarkably similar to the K6/K7 pipes. As long as the joint size is the same, that'll be good enough for me. All I gotta do now is scape together the cash . . .

. . . talking of which, can I just say Jesus - a NOS set. Wow! That's a few quid's worth you've got in the cupboard. GAMD5 (Chris, I think) has a bunch of really nicely restored early bikes and might be able to give you some sort of 'market value' idea. Anyways . . .

Headers - can still be found NOS (at least one of the model range sets - can't remember whether it's K1/2 or K6/7) at CMSNL.com. Couple of hundred euros each.

Mufflers - I've seen one or two places that can supply aftermarket copies of the mufflers only, although I think they all get them from the same place. Have a look here - http://www.phildentonengineering.com/product.asp?pid=1151.

Thanks again

Neil

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Neil, just been through this with my own K6, decided to use Dunstall Decibel type mufflers (amplifiers) from the Classic Bike Shop.
They fitted well and sound really mellow but my wife thinks they may be a bit loud.
If it gets the bike on the road I'm happy, MOT test next.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Neil,
It was interesting to see the silencer on Phil Dentons site was for the left hand side, now there is a school of thought that says the left hand sides were the ones most damaged when they fell off the side stands, seems logical to me!
cheers
Phillip

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phillip - Dentons offer both sides - they're just on their own web pages. Same prices for both.

Bike-Mart - that sounds like a great plan. I've been wondering what aftermarket mufflers would fit, 'cos I'm in two minds about spending £600+ just to get wrong-shape-for-the-year replicas. Trouble is, I didn't know how to go about ordering them from a sizing/dimensions perspective.

Couple of questions if I might - what inlet sizing did you go for, what are the overall pipe dimensions and do the mounting points match up with the hangars on the bike?

And I don't s'pose you've got a photo or two, do ya? I'm dying to see how they look mounted up.

Thanks again all.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Neil
I ordered the 44mm ones and they went straight on, using the reducing sleeve they come with.
They were a tight fit but I cleaned up the front pipe and they fitted.
I have used the standard sliding bracket they come with but will cobble up something better once its all settled down.[attachment=2:8zyb46hw]IMG_0684.JPG[/attachment:8zyb46hw]
Sorry about pictures, I haven't added any before (rapid learning curve) and workshop somewhat cluttered.[attachment=0:8zyb46hw]IMG_0682.JPG[/attachment:8zyb46hw]

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mart

I'm trying real hard, but I can't see the cluttered workshop you mentioned :D

They look great. I thank you, sir - you've just saved me a whole bunch of money. Once I've got my camshafts and rockers back from being reground, the engine cases back from being vapour blasted, the head back after having the valve seats recut and when I've swapped the cylinder bores for a 1mm oversize pair I've got in the shed . . . I'll be ordering myself some new pipes from the nice people you got yours from.

As for photos, can I recommend you get yourself a www.flickr.com account (if you haven't already) - it's a free online photo store site. Upload your photos to flickr and then link to them in your posts.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Neil
Update on the Dunstalls.
Albeit acceptable my wife thought the pipes tended to 'bark' so took the baffles out to have a look at the packing.
It turned out to be wire wool, so threw it away and replaced with some fibre type silencer packing.
Its now quite a bit more mellow, definately a better, more acceptable sound.
Martin

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey chaps

Back on the subject of aftermarket mufflers. I've just got a set fitted - they look remarkably similar to the originals - but being non-OEM, they don't have any bump stops for either the side or centre stands. Put the stands up, and they clatter the left muffler.

What innovative solutions have you lot with aftermarket mufflers come up with for keeping the stands and the mufflers apart from each other (other than leaving them down and never riding the bike . . . )?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
On the Dunstalls I superglued a small domed rubber washer to the underside where the side stand touched.
Have since put couple of hundred miles on bike and its still there.
The centre stand never quite reached but I had slid a small length of car heater hose onto both sides of stand in expectation of clatter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts