Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of new to the forum, I bought a 1972 CB450 which I had to wait about a month for my nephew to bring down to me. Seems to be in pretty nice condition with just under 12,000 miles on it. Well I got it to the house and put it on the car port over night and I go out and there is a puddle of oil under it which is dripping off the shift lever. I do a search on here and it seams to be common problem and an easy fix. I started in on it today, screws were supper tight but I didn't booger them up, got the cover off and what a pain getting that snap ring clip off a combination of poor lighting, poor eyes and snap ring pliers that could have been longer. So now for getting the seal out, I have read of a few ways to remove it all involve sticking something into it and prying it out. I sure don't want to mess something up behind it so what would be the best way to go about removing it? I have yet to order one, which as someone said you might as well get two. Looks like there are a few part #'s but if someone would tell me which one they have used. The # I have is 91202-426-003 and the size is, and here is where I might be wrong as I can see where I might have the clutch push rod seal and the shifter shaft seal mixed up, anyway one # is 12.5x25x8 which I'm thinking larger last # larger hole in the middle shifter shaft larger than clutch push rod which I'm thinking is 12x25x4.5. I don't yet have a manual or a parts catalog. A lot of that is available online right and if so what does people use here and if you buy parts online who would you suggest? I also need to figure out how to post pic's on here from my phone. I'm not a tech savvy person.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
The first number in a seal is the shaft size, the second number is the outer dimension (bore) and the third is the thickness. The clutch push rod is 8x34x8 (8mm shaft, 34mm bore,8mm thickness), the shift seal should be 12x25x4.5, and while you're working in the area, you may want to replace the main shaft seal 33x57x7. I usually would use OEM seals, but I've had good luck using seals bought on ebay. You can get a set of 9 seals for under 25 bucks. I usually buy OEM parts from Partzilla. Taking the seal out by drilling a hole into it and threading a drywall screw into it and pulling out has worked well for me.

......Paul

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sometimes taking out those 40 year old seals is the hardest thing your going to do on the bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my nephew brought the bike down to me he said he forgot and left the petcock on (gas in oil) so I was going to change oil before I started. The next morning is when I noticed the leak, might have started leaking due to oil being thin. Any way bought two seals from Dime City as they were the ones I found cheapest first. I will look into Partzilla and I probably will not at this time change any other seals, they seem good. I might regret that decision later but I'm dying to ride this bike. That is a zirc fitting next to the clutch adj correct? it looks like it could use a little grease. Chain seems a little loose also. My nephew said it rode great. I just ordered a manual which should be here in a few days. A cold spell is coming in this week so I should be ready for a ride when it warms a little. Thanks 05c50 for the clarification on seal sizes. Does Partzilla have a parts catalog that you look up parts and their #'s on? The parts catalogs I seen on Ebay were pretty expensive, for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Partzilla, as well as other sites have complete parts listing available. For some of the older Hondas on Partzilla, you have to look up the parts by the "K" listing, instead of the year. On the site, click on Honda, then click on Motorcycle, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Models with no year", then scroll to find your model.

That is a zerk on the clutch, but it is a little different than the ones used in the U S.

..........Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts