Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Mike and I am from Dallas, TX. I am in my mid-20s and grew up with a couple Vespa's now making my first 'real' bike purchase of a 1974 CB 450. I am still very new so please excuse my inexperience and novice questions. Feel free to correct me when I am wrong and I would appreciate it if you would spell things out for me at the start because there is a lot I need to learn! :confused::confused:

Here are a couple pictures of the bike I just bought. I am not trying to make this a replica cafe racer but I would like to have a little of that look when its all said and done. It is important to me that the seat can fit 2 people.

1974cb_bike.jpg 1974cb_450_engine.jpg

I am looking to customize the bike a little an make it my own. First off, do you see any essential parts that are need to be replaced immediately? Secondly, I don't know much but here is a short list of the things that I would like to start adding/replacing onto the bike in the coming weeks.
Items on the list (No Specific Order):
1. New Headlight
2. New Tail light
3. New Exhaust
4. New Tachometer/Speedometer
5. New Turn Signals

Thoughts? Is there anything else others recommend to add or remove from the list? I am not looking to replace every single piece, and do want to keep some of that 1974 look but do want to put a little shine back into things.

Is there a website you guys recommend for my 1974 CB 450 parts?

I look forward to learning as much as I can as I continue forward. Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Mike!
How does the bike run? I would first get the bike in solid mechanical state before I start shining it up. Heres a great checklist to start off:
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/60...n/18506-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html
Thanks for the checklist. The bike runs great, just got it out of the shop and the pros said after a few regular maintenance fixes all the insides seem to be working just fine.

Anyone else have a website they recommend? Or what items would work well with this bike that I suggested?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike
I'd suggest reading some of the project logs as well as the relevant sections in the DOHC section
I will say that I'm not a fan of the little LED turn signals, look great in a parking lot but I like for the cager behind me to see them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anyone else have a website they recommend? Or what items would work well with this bike that I suggested?
My advice is always the same (and always ignored) - ride the bike for a season before changing anything. Get to know it, get to know the roads around you, get an idea of what areas you wish were different, and spend some time learning how you like to ride. What you may discover is that your current bike isn't the best platform for what you want to do (cruising, touring, racing, off-roading, commuting, just zipping around town). Spending money on it now means more potential regret when you realize that for how you like to ride you need a different bike. One big gripe all of the cafe/tracker forum regulars have is people showing up asking how to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear they just bought, assuming "a bike is a bike, right - why can't my 600-lb. Goldwing be a dirt bike?"

This is your first motorcycle, and that's exciting. A willingness to spend time riding will yield better results than a willingness to spend money modding.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome. That bike is a beauty. Ride her as she sits, then if you must, change it. She is yours to do with what you wish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. That bike is a beauty. Ride her as she sits, then if you must, change it. She is yours to do with what you wish.
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I have continued to do some research on the internet and of course I found a few things I decided to invest in and add to the bike. All of it minor stuff, I am never going to be decking this bike out to a full blown cafe racer. I like the long bench seat that can seat two. I am mainly going to be using this bike on weekends & evenings for fun 'joy rides'.

Like I said, I bought a few parts and will be sure to post pictures one I get everything installed. Thanks again all!:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts