Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - does anyone have any good pics of how to mount a luggage rack to a CB350(K4)? I know it attaches to the rear shock bolts but I'm not entirely sure of the second mounting point.

I'm assuming I have to make a bracket of sorts?

Pics of rack I'm trying to use is below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I have the same Rack but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I need to find a big enough bucket to dump it in with some wood bleach to clean off some rusty areas.

But here is a Pic of the Brackets you are missing.

The second attachment point is the Rear Tailight bracket.
[attachment=1:eek:w1juhx0]DSC05888.JPG[/attachment:eek:w1juhx0]

This isn't my bike but you can sort of see where the brackets go.
[attachment=0:eek:w1juhx0]350withRack2.jpg[/attachment:eek:w1juhx0]

The Bracket has a 45 deg angle bend:
On the Longer Edge:
On the Long side from the Hole Center to where it is bent on a 45 deg angle is 21 CM
The Short side from the Hole Center to the 45 deg bend is 19 CM

The Short Edge:
The Long Side from the Hole to the Bend is 4 CM
The Short Side is 1.5 CM

Both Hole are slightly Oval but are 10 mm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a set of these brackets they'd be willing to part with or able to do some quick fabrication?

As my bike is currently living one state over at my parents' place for the moment, I don't really have have the time, space or equipment to do a proper job myself.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably a real basic stupid question but where is a good place to source some metal to make these brackets? Stores? What exactly am I looking for? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
most hardware stores will sell flat steel rod stock.

get a piece between 1/8" to 1/4" in thickness that's long and wide enough per the measurements above. drill it, fit it paint it, mount it!

I like to make cardboard templates before my final cuts and bends...helps you get your piece right without wasting materials.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't think of the cardboard template method but it's a great idea

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
I rarely disagree with Outobie, but 1/4 inch flat steel is a bear to bend and shape. Stick to 1/8 steel, or I would consider 1/8 flat aluminum. Home Depot has a rack in the store with all sorts of flat stock and threaded rods and such....cheap, and choose what you want.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! Yeah, I don't have any formal bending equipment so this will be some brute force unless I can think of something better. The joys of NYC apartment living (though we'll be relocating to central NJ in the next few months so I'm expecting to give this thing some serious TLC). Need this rack mounted so I can make the trek from CT to NJ for the relocation.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Hmmmm...

all the weight from the rack and anything you load onto will be supported almost solely by those two pieces of metal.

The OEM honda accessory rack brackets you are replicating are 1/8" thick Chromed Steel (I just double checked the measurements of one I have in the garage). I personally wouldn't recommend going weaker than stock.

1/8" Flat stock aluminum would not be my first choice for this application.
1/4" is a bit overkill and after examining the materials I agree it's too much (3/16" maybe? :))

sticking with stock sized materials is the safe play.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
My racks were supported by thinner steel than that though...not 1 1/2, more like 3/4...

with about 2x the cross sectional area, it should be o.k.

But if I went steel, I wouldn't use 1 1/2 in wide, just 3/4....easier to form too....

I built Pannier brackets out of aluminum stock, and it has held up for a couple of years now....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts