Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new pair of Dyna Coils for my CB350 K3 but the coils are longer than the stock and i'm looking for advice on how to use the stock bracket. Anyone do this to their scoot yet?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's been done and documented on here but finding it may prove to be pretty hard. Did you try a search??

On my CB450 I bent up some aluminum at work, notched it for clearance for the coils, and drilled it to mount to the frame, then drilled the holes for the coils to mount on it. You could probably do this with some aluminum angle "iron", a hacksaw, air powered cutoff wheel and a drill? Farm supply places such as Rural King/Tractor Supply have aluminum angle as do many others..

Others have used strips of aluminum that mount to the original coil mounts and extend out a little to let the longer coils bolt to the new aluminum piece.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
are your dyna coils the standard ones or the new mini coils?

the standard ones need mounting bolts that go in vertically and the mini ones have mounting bolts that go in horizontally.

since you didn't mention that they are mini I'll assume you have the standard ones. I started out with the standard size dyna coils but ran into clearance problems mounting them under the tank since they are larger than stock. I have a CB200 tank on my CB350 so I'm not sure if the stock CB350 tank has the same issue but I suggest you check before you get too far into fabricating your brackets.

I used aluminum angle stock (2 sides of a square tube) to mount the coils on my project. if the stock tank provides enough clearance you can use two pieces of the angle stock (one for each coil). the angle stock can bolt to the stock holes in the frame so that if you looked at the angle stock from the front or back it would look like a "T" with the coil bolted to the horizontal part of the "T" and the vertical portion of the T bolted to the frame. this location allows the coils to fill the same void in the frame that the stock coils did. you need to measure clearance closely so the coils don't touch the tank or the frame. I made this exact same mounting system for my coils before I realized that my tank wouldn't go back on :eek: . (the CB200 tank has a cut out underneath on the right side but not the left) :eek:

If you don't have enough clearance for the tank then you can turn the "T" upside down.

Bill Moeller at Bore-tech let me trade back the large coils for the new minni ones and in the exchange I gave bill the brackets I had made so I can't send you a picture. If you are using the mini coild I can send you a picture of how I made the brackets for those...just let me kow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
outobie said:
are your dyna coils the standard ones or the new mini coils?

the standard ones need mounting bolts that go in vertically and the mini ones have mounting bolts that go in horizontally.

since you didn't mention that they are mini I'll assume you have the standard ones. I started out with the standard size dyna coils but ran into clearance problems mounting them under the tank since they are larger than stock. I have a CB200 tank on my CB350 so I'm not sure if the stock CB350 tank has the same issue but I suggest you check before you get too far into fabricating your brackets.

I used aluminum angle stock (2 sides of a square tube) to mount the coils on my project. if the stock tank provides enough clearance you can use two pieces of the angle stock (one for each coil). the angle stock can bolt to the stock holes in the frame so that if you looked at the angle stock from the front or back it would look like a "T" with the coil bolted to the horizontal part of the "T" and the vertical portion of the T bolted to the frame. this location allows the coils to fill the same void in the frame that the stock coils did. you need to measure clearance closely so the coils don't touch the tank or the frame. I made this exact same mounting system for my coils before I realized that my tank wouldn't go back on :eek: . (the CB200 tank has a cut out underneath on the right side but not the left) :eek:

If you don't have enough clearance for the tank then you can turn the "T" upside down.

Bill Moeller at Bore-tech let me trade back the large coils for the new minni ones and in the exchange I gave bill the brackets I had made so I can't send you a picture. If you are using the mini coild I can send you a picture of how I made the brackets for those...just let me kow.
I think have the mini ones. They are the Dyna Single Output DC10-1. Can you post the picture of the brackets that you made? Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
It's been done and documented on here but finding it may prove to be pretty hard. Did you try a search??

On my CB450 I bent up some aluminum at work, notched it for clearance for the coils, and drilled it to mount to the frame, then drilled the holes for the coils to mount on it. You could probably do this with some aluminum angle "iron", a hacksaw, air powered cutoff wheel and a drill? Farm supply places such as Rural King/Tractor Supply have aluminum angle as do many others..

Others have used strips of aluminum that mount to the original coil mounts and extend out a little to let the longer coils bolt to the new aluminum piece.

You dont have a pic of your bracket do you? I'm just looking for ideas at the moment...thanks!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It sounds like outobie suggested the exact same thing I did..

Here's the pics. Sorry, I didn't want to unbolt the coils for the pic, but you can see the brackets clearly enough I'd say. The hardest part is notching the aluminum for clearance for the coil, and bending it if you don't use angle stock.

Here's from underneath.
[attachment=3:2xka4qym]S5030068.JPG[/attachment:2xka4qym]

Here's from the rear.
[attachment=2:2xka4qym]S5030069.JPG[/attachment:2xka4qym]

Here's from the front.
[attachment=1:2xka4qym]S5030070.JPG[/attachment:2xka4qym]

Here's from the top.
[attachment=0:2xka4qym]S5030071.JPG[/attachment:2xka4qym]

Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll take a coil off to show the bracket better.. If you look closely you can see how the bracket is made and notched though..

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the inspiration GB...i really like your set up. Where did you tuck away the condenser? I see that you have the 3 ohms coils, Z1 Enterprizes suggested the 5 ohms for my set up...how are you dealing with the energy?

I read the instruction manual last night and it said that the coils are nt polarized...does that mean that I can cut the stock wiring and screw them on the to slots?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. :D

I haven't finished my build yet, using these coils. I'm hoping I can get away with running the 3ohm models. I'll be running electronic ignition so I won't be using condensers.

As for your stock wiring I'm not exactly sure what you need to do. It's been too long since I've read about wiring up the Dyna coils, so I'll have to give myself a refresher course when the time comes.. :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
kine8282 said:
I read the instruction manual last night and it said that the coils are nt polarized...does that mean that I can cut the stock wiring and screw them on the to slots?
That's the way I wired my KZ, just used the stock wiring to those two threaded holes. Not sure if there is any difference to the 350 though.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
Please let me know if you have the same coils as the ones pictured or the minis.

the Minis take a different bracket since the mounting holes are horizontal. If you need pictures of the Mini brackets I'll be able to pull off the tank and photograph sunday.

I too am running electronic ignition so no condensors on mine either. As for wiring them, it couldn't be simpler positive (black with white stripe if memory serves) goes to the positive side of the coil yellow left negative and blue right negative, nothing else too it. One other note...I highly recommend you solder the new wire terminals on after you crimp them. the terminals Dyna gives you are not as nice as OEM terminals and as we all know these twins vibrate a good bit.
As for the bracket, I took a different approach for the Mini's... First, I used some 1" square aluminum bar stock, and cut two pieces to a length of about 1.5" (please take your own measurements since I have a CB200 tank), then I drilled a bolt hole down the middle length wise and bolted the coils together with the spacer in between. Then I used a piece of my aluminum angle stock to bolt to the stock frame holes only on one side of the frame. the top of the angle stock serves as a "table" for the square bar stock spacers to rest on. Once I had the pieces fitted properly (notched out the angle stock to fit around the body of the coil) I disassembled the pieces and tig welded the the bar stock spacers to the top of the angle stock. If you don't have the welding equipment find a local welding shop to help. Aluminum is tougher to weld than steel if you've never tried it but a competant welder should be able to knock it out in 15 minutes for you

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
outobie said:
Please let me know if you have the same coils as the ones pictured or the minis.
. I have the ones like in the picture..thanks for the tip on soddering the wires. Just gotta figure out which hole is + and which is -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts