Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading towards the exciting point of a CB450 K1 ressurection. The speedo/tacho mounting has me struggling, so I'd appreciate some help.

The clocks I have are not K1 (I think); they have the chrome underside held on by 2 6mm nuts. The bracket that was on the bike when acquired is one I cannot find on a parts fiche.
Auto part

I couldn't see any reason for the W shape so I thought I'd make an oval plate from aluminum to replace it:
Auto part Metal Bicycle part Rim Steel

Above is a pic of the clocks mounted using a template made from old sheet metal.

My main concern is whether the single mounting point - a bolt that comes through the chrome back — is sufficient. I have fitted new rubbers mounting the bracket to the top yoke and I cut some K1 rubbers so they fit on the studs to attach the chrome surrounds, though I'm not sure the latter is necessary. The clocks seem wobbly and I think they might vibrate so much as to be unreadable.

I thought I might be able to use the two small back-mounting studs on the original bracket somehow - drilled as necessary, but then the cable fittings were in the way.

My question then is, "Is that one mounting point OK?"

If not, any suggestions on how I might proceed would be most welcome.

Thanks

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I have wondered the same thing too (for CB360 gauges). For the CB360, there is only one mounting point with the additional groove built into the gauge chrome ring/dish to rest on the surface edge of the mounting bracket. Hasn't flopped around on me. Do your 450 gauges have a similar groove? I would think Honda would come up with a 2 screw each design for stability...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there doesnt seem to be any groove.

I came across these shots on ebay

Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Rim Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Family car Engine

These show the bracket attached to the yoke and the guages mounted on the bracket at only one point. However, as you say, it looks as if the guages rest on the mounting bracket.

The other thing I notice is that the clocks seem a bit further apart than mine.

One of the pics on ebay, shows the faces and the speedo has no trip meter. Is this something on some clocks, or does this suggest the clocks are not actually 450 originals?
Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Tachometer Auto part

Sean

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is a possibility that the gauges and mounts are different in your part of the world than a US spec. That being said, I have a 1968 CB450K1. The gauges have plastic bodies and no trip odometer. I cannot get a clear picture of the bracket but it is very similar to this one from an early CB350.
Auto part

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
According to my parts list, the trip meter was added with the K5; nice to have, though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
INteresting pic JAY. That set up is what I was thinking to try and achieve. As it sits, my bracket has only one hole and it has no studs to mount it in the yoke.

The clocks are definitely not K1; I thought maybe K3/4, but now it seems they are K5 as per the pic from James.

Do those clocks have chrome backing plates, JAY, or are they like the K0 ones?

I think I'll go with my original oval bracket - simple to make, and if that doesn't work I'll try the set ups shown here.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Will let you know how it goes.

Sean

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
According to my parts list, the trip meter was added with the K5; nice to have, though.
Negative - trip meter appeared K3-K4.
For K5 they switched sides and had big chrome bases, then the console-thingy with all the indicator lights.

Though all 450's use the same stem and lower clamp, there are many variations in the top clamp, and tach/speedo and mounts.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Negative - trip meter appeared K3-K4.
For K5 they switched sides and had big chrome bases, then the console-thingy with all the indicator lights.

Though all 450's use the same stem and lower clamp, there are many variations in the top clamp, and tach/speedo and mounts.
Care needs to be taken with the factory manuals and parts lists. This image shows the difference between the K5 to K6 Speedo. It would lead you to believe the K6 speedo had the neutral - turn signal indicator in it. Not the case, these were incorporated in the center cluster with the high beam indicator. In another part of this manual it shows the rear grab handle being incorporated on the K7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was incorporated on the K6.
Text Line art Font Design Diagram

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Care needs to be taken with the factory manuals and parts lists. This image shows the difference between the K5 to K6 Speedo. It would lead you to believe the K6 speedo had the neutral - turn signal indicator in it. Not the case, these were incorporated in the center cluster with the high beam indicator. In another part of this manual it shows the rear grab handle being incorporated on the K7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was incorporated on the K6.
View attachment 218137
Sorry, by "...then the console....", I meant following K5.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
In another part of this manual it shows the rear grab handle being incorporated on the K7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was incorporated on the K6.
View attachment 218137
My K6 has the bar and the IPC shows it should. Just FYI.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

It seems the more you look into the Honda model specs, the more confusing it becomes - same with 750 Fours. To me anyway.

Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts