Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a motorcycle stand or jack that works well for the CB450? I see a bunch on Amazon of different types, and I'm just a little flummoxed at the benefits of the different types.

I'm interested in having a stand/jack to do oil changes, chain tensioning, timing checks, etc. Basic maintenance.

There are platform type jacks, then there are "paddock stand" type that have wheels and lift up the front and rear wheels separately... or should I just pick up a CB450 centerstand on ebay and install it only when I need to work on the bike? (mine had the centerstand removed long ago, and I'm not keen on having one on there all the time...)

Any pointers or tips on what works well with our bikes would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I use the one Harbor Freight sells, with an adapter I made from wood scraps to adjust the spacing.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm in a similar situation where my cb450 doesn't have a centerstand. At the moment I've been using a 2x4 to prop it up, or lean it on the side stand to change out the shocks. Ideally I'd acquire a centerstand and install it and keep it on. I prefer the centerstand in most instances...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a Handy hydraulic lift with a front wheel chock/clamp. It was a little pricier than the Harbor Freight unit, but it is heavier and feels more solid than my friend's Harbor Freight. If you don't have a center stand, the front wheel chock is nice to have. It also has a dropout section that can be removed when working on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
That's the one I have. With a few tweaks, it is a lot more stable, like thin washers to take the wobble out of some joints, grease at pivot points, and even some replacement bolts, for the ones that have too short a shank, and the threads ride in the pivot points. As always, I strap the bike down if I'm going to be wrenching.
I was about to mention to strap it down, especially if removing stuff, the center of gravity shifts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts