Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another find at the 4-stroke.net website - reminds a bit of On Any Sunday in some parts and the era it was made in is part of that, I'm sure... but definitely interesting, funny at times (not that they intend it to be) and filled with tiny mistakes as well. I guess they didn't think anyone would relate to the sound of a 2 stroke bike back in the early '70s for training purposes, the video shows plenty of 2 strokes but the sound is always a 4 stroke. Lots of great shots of vintage Hondas and other brands, and they destroy quite a few beautiful CB and CL350s in crash tests. Good stuff

https://4-stroke.net/images/AllVideos/video/Motorcycle-Driving-Tactics.mp4

·
Registered
73 Posts
At about the 22 second mark in the beginning, there's a beautiful 1966 MGB with the factory hardtop. That was an unbelievably rare factory option from the British Leyland motorworks. I had a 1952 MG TD for a while. I bought it in decent shape, then turned it into a showcar. Got rid of it when I realized I was spending the same amount of money in ownership to trailer it to events as I would have spent to actually drive it around and enjoy it. I just couldn't stand the thought of being responsible for it's first dent, so rather than start driving it around, I sold it to a collector. In any event, I still keep my eyes open for the old classics. Nice video overall, though.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
1975 CL360
117 Posts
After watching the video again, in retrospect I find it interesting how much our safety standards for riders have changed since 1972. In the video, riders are reminded to wear a helmet, and we see predominant use of bobber three-quarter open-face helmets, with no protection for the chin. Riders are shown wearing knit sweaters and no gloves. Motorcycle headlights are off. Now in many US states we are required to ride with headlight on at all times, with boots and DOT-approved helmets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Such an awesome nostalgic video, thanks Tom!!!

The message is timeless. And while its so sad to see so many beautiful bikes destroyed there are so many things to like about this PSA:

==> The narrator's voice, sounds like Dragnet
==> "Keep 'em off your tail"
==> The cars, the bikes, LA in the 60's
==> The clothes, the hair
==> The girl on the CL
==> Learning to stand up off road on the yammy
==> The motocross/scrambles at the end
==> One of the writers is named Mac Pherson???

And I can download it!

Thanks again!!! :D

PS Somehow I doubt the Los Angeles Police Badgers Motorcycle Club still exists

This takes the cake though:

ScreenHunter_10 Nov. 20 11.17.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great points Russ, and ones I noticed as well. It's an era that is easily identified my the typical soundtrack music, the styles of the day and the narration delivery, for sure... so much like the original On Any Sunday yet in docu-form... and I love the way everyone shown riding in it is smart and polite - today, not so much! and it was quite amazing to see a female rider that long ago... obviously they did then too, but the numbers were so much smaller. there's a lot more on that site, it just takes time to go through all the pages to find the nuggets of historic value

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This takes the cake though:

View attachment 269062
Yep - how the rules and perceptions have changed since then, huh? back when riding around in the back of a pickup was common, or loosely seated in the back of an open-windowed station wagon during the high unburned hydrocarbon carburetor days with the exhaust swirling around the back of the car... and of course, garden-hose drinking in the back yard. Perish the thought! :lol:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice find, the c100 would of course these days have a kid on the front mudguard, an infant on the handlebars, the middle aged kid standing on the foot pegs between his dads legs, his wife on the back holding a baby and the bed on the carrier.

Same old danger, dumm ass in a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts