Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, since the gear section is called "gear reviews" and this isn't a review, so...
Anyways, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good casual riding boot for someone that hates all the proper "motorcycle boots" usually seen on the popular gear sites, revzilla, etc. Basically, a boot that gets the job done well, but isn't categorized as a riding boot.
What was the preferred boot in the old days before we had a bazillion options?
Also, do you prefer the raised heel, so you can kinda hook it on your pegs when resting, or a flat sole, for more mobility with yer foot.
Thx is advance!
-Charlie

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
As from your previous post.....

These are what I wear and IMO have been the best boots I have ever worn for riding thus far.

They are actually paratrooper boots with the side zippers for easy on and off. They have very durable soles, reinforced toe cap and heel, the leather is very supple and makes them very comfortable to wear. Plus they look great to wear on or off the bike.

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-men...02090_color=01

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I am also interested in this thread and looking to find a pr. of riding boots.I used to own a pair of Bieffe Italian(1990's) all around street riding boots,they had a one-piece molded soul w/ a thin height between the front/top of the toe and the soul of the toe.I ride a few small size bikes and I have a large/wide foot(12W)and w/ the little shift levers on the small bikes a thick sole boot doesn't fit underneath the shift lever.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't remember there being boots for general road use in the '70's. I have always worn cowboy boots (background with real horse power)good protection, look great and can be waterproofed with mink oil. I like to be able to hook the heels on the pegs and they're easy to slide back to rest on the ball of your foot or do the needed mobile leg stretch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Red Wings are black, 30 years old and cant be beat. My son has a pair of Doc Marten durango style slip-ons that he got on clearance ($60) that he loves.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I ride in a Fry Harness 12R. The harness ring is supposed to keep your foot off from the hot bits of the bike. These boots are made right here in the USA. They are resoleable and with proper care should live as long as you do. They run about $250 I think

fry.jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm going to ask T-Bone... are you new to motorcycles? No offense, it's a good question. The answer very simply, is the same answer to virtually every other "what is the best motorcycle________________" question. That answer is the one YOU like.

In selecting a boot (you don't even absolutely have to wear boots you know) First look for a style you like. Function is #1 for some people. Protection that is. I began riding in 1971 (I think :-? ) and through the 80's I wore western style boots - not just for riding but ALL the time! Slip on boots, while very comfortable, don't offer much ankle support. Lace-up work boot-style footwear provide good ankle support and protection, but many don't find them very comfortable. :( Particularly, for the best ankle support, they must be laced TIGHT! That may be okay when you're working and walking in them but can be tiring when you're sitting for very long due to circulation restriction. Take my word on this one, approaching a red light on a motorcycle is a very bad time for a foot to be "asleep" or to have a cramp. Another very real concern with lace up boots is the laces. A spontaneously loose lace might trip you if you're walking. Get that thing caught in the spokes, chain or on something on the ground and you're going to learn some new laws of physics! Special situations - racing in all its forms - do call for a specific style of boot, but good looks and comfort are far behind function in that situation. Many Hipster-types wear the cheapest, filmiest, retro sneakers available. You'll see lots of loafers and wingtips on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. ;) Very simply, as I said a paragraph or two ago, it's a personal thing. Motorcycling through, is a personal thing. Do what looks and feels right to you my friend, and don't obsess over what anyone else thinks... unless you're doing something really stupid. If you're doing something REALLY stupid though, you probably aren't going to ask such good questions. ;)

Two quick real life experiences. The worst injury I ever got from motorcycles is hearing loss. ;) Loud pipes DO NOT save lives and never forget that. I broke my ankle in a motorcycle "incident" while wearing western boots. The doctor missed it on the x ray even though I KNEW it was broken. Another doctor noticed the (perfectly healed) break on an xray for something else a year later and was surprised it had not been treated by an osteo guy. That ankle was healed by me wearing my work boots 16 hrs a day and keeping them laced as tight as the swelling would allow until fully healed. ;) ... and I still wear western-style boots 95% of the time!

Cheers!

Reactions: Pops

·
Registered
505 Posts
I got a pair of those and I absolutely LOVE them. Best shoes I've ever had... and they look great for work.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
+1 on Frye boots. Excellent quality. Check ebay and poshmark and they do pop up often. Don’t be nervous to buy a pair that needs sole work because the upfront cheap cost will balance out with boots you bring someplace for work. Got my first pair on eBay for 60, used them for 5-6 years and now need sole work but the leather never ripped or frayed. Don’t buy new cuz you will pay 300. They are not insulated so keep that in mind and don’t expect to walk any kind of long distance in em, either. Perfect for riding. For me at least. My current pair are copies of frye but held up perfectly during my minor accident. I still use them and they don’t need sole work. I paid 30 bucks but I cannot tell what brand they are....no markings

·
Registered
703 Posts
Another very real concern with lace up boots is the laces. A spontaneously loose lace might trip you if you're walking. Get that thing caught in the spokes, chain or on something on the ground and you're going to learn some new laws of physics!
Or..
Riding ever so cooly up to the front door of your old school as all the kids are getting out at hometime / pulling in close to the main door and then discovering your left lace is caught in the gear lever as you gently topple over - still sitting bolt upright on the bike - and end up in a heap on the ground in front of about 150 bemused teenagers is not something you're likely to forget..

Don't ask me how I know this.. :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Or..
Riding ever so cooly up to the front door of your old school as all the kids are getting out at hometime / pulling in close to the main door and then discovering your left lace is caught in the gear lever as you gently topple over - still sitting bolt upright on the bike - and end up in a heap on the ground in front of about 150 bemused teenagers is not something you're likely to forget..

Don't ask me how I know this.. :)

This is not a problem with the boots I wear. you lace them up tight and snug, double knotted and the ends tugged in behind. Since I use the side zippers to get them on and off, the laces are tied once and secure.
I haven't had to re-tie my laces since I did it the first time years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts