Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,i have been on here for awhile and really enjoy this site.have couple of questions for some of the "in-the-know" people.i just finished re-building my cl 450 complete with 497cc big bore kit,head job(valves)and 34mm mikuni round slide carbs,barnett racing clutch,etc.,etc, with alot of help from posts here on this site and was wondering 1)should i use synthetic oil for break-in and normal use after that,2)will it affect my cluch(wet)or the way it performs?i have'nt put any oil in motor yet as i just finished building it and putting it in my bike(hardtailed).(i will post some pics when get that prob. figured out)have been told many different things,no-yes-i don't know.i don't want to ruin $300.00 clutch.thanks,tim... p.s. keep your tires on the road and the shiny side up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with a good answer, but would really like to know your source for the big bore kit and other parts etc.

Sounds like an awesome project, any pictures?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
big bore kit came from guy on flea-bay.he also hooked me up with some N.O.S. valves,keepers and all that stuff for reasonable prices($300.00 inc.shipping).mikuni carbs came from friend through local bike shop(new) at HUGE discount price.will see if i can find his info.he claimed to have several more kits available.the only reason i did it this way is my neighbor has the exact same stuff from this guy in his bike(he has stock csrbs)and it dyno-ed 53 horse last summer in laconia.i'm hoping for a tad better with mikunis.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Use Dino oil for break in and then switch to synthetic if your seals have all been changed.
The Barnett clutch was not a good idea, Barnett is only good for relieving you of your money with no performance gains and the clutch basket will be destroyed by the Barnett discs.
The only good thing Barnett makes is clutch springs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
tjwsuperxracer said:
big bore kit came from guy on flea-bay.he also hooked me up with some N.O.S. valves,keepers and all that stuff for reasonable prices($300.00 inc.shipping).mikuni carbs came from friend through local bike shop(new) at HUGE discount price.will see if i can find his info.he claimed to have several more kits available.the only reason i did it this way is my neighbor has the exact same stuff from this guy in his bike(he has stock csrbs)and it dyno-ed 53 horse last summer in laconia.i'm hoping for a tad better with mikunis.
Well I would really appreciate that information if you can find it! [email protected]

fasterspider said:
Use Dino oil for break in and then switch to synthetic if your seals have all been changed.
The Barnett clutch was not a good idea, Barnett is only good for relieving you of your money with no performance gains and the clutch basket will be destroyed by the Barnett discs.
The only good thing Barnett makes is clutch springs.

What's the problem with Barnett clutches? I've heard good things? I'm curious because I bought one for my 450 that I haven't yet run.

·
Registered
785 Posts
MayerMR said:
What's the problem with Barnett clutches? I've heard good things? I'm curious because I bought one for my 450 that I haven't yet run.
It has been about 5 years now but, I have seen clutch baskets that were literally chewed up from the thinner Barnett discs.
Once a bad reputation has been put in place, it is very hard to remove it.
I have heard that Barnett changed how they make their clutch discs but, I would never use anything Barnett except their gorilla springs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
fasterspider said:
MayerMR said:
It has been about 5 years now but, I have seen clutch baskets that were literally chewed up from the thinner Barnett discs.
Once a bad reputation has been put in place, it is very hard to remove it.
I have heard that Barnett changed how they make their clutch discs but, I would never use anything Barnett except their gorilla springs.
Well I'm in too deep to back out now lol. I'll keep you posted on the clutch basket and whether it explodes. You don't happen to know what the part number is for those springs is offhand do ya? I couldn't find them when I ordered my clutch kit.

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Registered
86 Posts
tjwsuperxracer said:
1)should i use synthetic oil for break-in and normal use after that,2)will it affect my cluch(wet)or the way it performs?
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Your engine will not explode if you use Spiffo-Magic Superlube for 4,000 miles. Your engine will not explode if you never use synthetic oils. However, any of these choices puts additional strain on your engine.
The only kinds of oils that I have heard of that affect wet-clutch performance are the "energy conserving" oils that use Molybdenum as a "friction modifier." If you get an XW-40+ weight oil, it generally wouldn't be "energy conserving."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts