Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was suggested I document this, so here goes! I'm starting a moto shed build in my yard. Initially, I planned on a 10x12 but after taking another look at my yard, I've opted for the 10x16. I found an awesome website where for $7 - $10 you can download the step-by-step plans, including supply lists and other extras. The guy who runs the site has been super responsive and I feel confident he'll be a good resource as I move forward. You can take a look at his stuff at www.shedking.net.

My big needs for this project are:
• enough floor space to fit one bike on a small lift, and another on the floor so both me and my husband can work on bikes at the same time.
• gambrel roof for vertical storage and a small loft
• double doors on the side and end of shed for easy in and out of projects
• bench space for working on parts
• enough storage for all my tools AND my craft stuff (no small feat)

I've decided for flooring to do concrete-set posts and a raised wood floor, with buried wire sheets to prevent rats/nesting animals underneath. Crushed rock underneath for drainage. Inside, I'll lay sheet wood, with rubber mats on top. Not 100% which material I'll use for the floor. Open to suggestions on a substrate that isn't likely to soak in too much oil/etc, water resistant. Thoughts on using Pergo, or something similar?

It will be insulated with a wall-installed heater/AC unit. Bubble sky-lights will allow for natural sun during the winter. Outlets all over the place.

My dad will be on site to supervise (he's done a million of these) and I have helping hands from my moto crew. I'll keep you all updated!

Here's what it generally looks like. (Ignore the colors) 10x16.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I like it - and I suppose the skylights will be great for your location, not so much for us in Florida (plenty of heat to go around and tons of rain during the summer). We're doing a 10x10 for my wife to do her crafts in and it's wired, a/c unit in and waiting on insulation and paneling. Awesome project for you to do awesome projects in, looking forward to watching the progress.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Cool. Wood flooring and a small bike lift could be a problem. I'm guessing you're talking about one like this https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...00-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html . The problem is that the 4 small roller wheels are applying spot pressure to the floor, 400# bike on wheels with @1 square inch of contact patch each. That'll cause indenting and make it hard to move. So look for a flooring that will withstand that kind of pressure. Garage floor paint is good for oil and fluid spills https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-E...Paint/Chemical-Resistant/N-5yc1vZbd13Z1z0oepi .
Having 1 or 2 roof beams that can handle a chain hoist can be useful also https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html 2x4's aren't strong enough. a pair of 2x8's or 2x6's bolted together would be

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hi neighbor, nice plans on that site. I actually found myself there over the weekend browsing around the photo gallery.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice!! Wish I had a shed that big. I had a dead spot in the yard that was never going to get use. So I had this 6x8 building installed.. it’s enough to do small stuff. I was able to clean up the garage and make the wife happy. Here’s a few pics. I’ll park my bike in there once I get it done and all those extra parts out of there..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I was a contractor for many years building homes all over South Carolina, so I am familiar with coastal state conditions. I would strongly recommend that you use "3/4" Advantec" for your floor. Any good building supply will stock it. This stuff is tough and waterproof. It will stand up to working on motorcycles.
TOOLS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Amen to the 3/4" advantec, we used to use 3/4 t&g plywood back in the day but when advantec came out it was a game changer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you have the space I would go a little longer. Due to limited space my shop is 11 feet wide but its 33 feet deep. Even with just me and two bikes its tight. I have an 80 gallon air supply with dryers , water hose and shelves on one side and a ten foot work bench and shelving on the other. The back end holds the coating oven,sand blaster and welders. I use an overhead hoist and built a stand from 2x4s to set a bike on if I need one up in the air. Along with the tools you will need space to to put the parts you remove and room to clean them. You also need room for all the cleaning supplies , spare parts ,nut and bolts and just stuff. Anyway go as large as your funds will allow. One thing I would suggest is lighting down low and from the side. I have lots of light from up high but have trouble seeing in the dark corners on the lower parts of the bike I am working on.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts