Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think is the most reliable trouble free vintage Honda Twin?

I would guess the Honda CM200T with the almost indestructible engine & double roller cam chain rates way up there. Engine also operates cool due to the large cylinder heads to CC displacement ratio. The 250cc Rebel is about the same, but may operate a little hotter.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I had a CX500 back in the days that I thought was pretty indestructible.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I do believe the 350's are near bulletproof!

But as J-T said, just about all of them are pretty great bikes.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pretty much any model that starts with "H", has 3 digits, and the first digit is between 1 and 7.
:D Good one, J-T. ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'd vote for the CM200 over the Rebel and Nighthawk 250s, I'm sure there may be some engineering improvements but a kickstart and points ignition with a real mechanical advancer wins out in my book.

I wish there was a large displacement version with the same configuration.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd have to give a shout out for the SOHC 400s and 450s. Still see quite a lot running after being everyone's abused and neglected starter bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That isn't true, DSS sells them.
I was looking for CX500 in Poland. Some bikes in Poland had replaced tensioners, also from DSS.
There are problems with material, which is turning to very soft under oily conditions. That was the point which keeps me away from this bike. If You have some informations about good solution, it will be appreciated.

·
Banned
854 Posts
I was looking for CX500 in Poland. Some bikes in Poland had replaced tensioners, also from DSS.
There are problems with material, which is turning to very soft under oily conditions. That was the point which keeps me away from this bike. If You have some informations about good solution, it will be appreciated.
DSS has the OEM tensioners and the aftermarket versions, I got the OEM and it has been fine.

·
Banned
854 Posts

Looks like the guide blade is only avail as aftermarket, OEM tensioner still there.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
To be honest about it, I don't think I ever heard about any Honda Twin being bad. My experience, as far as Honda Twins goes, is mainly with the CB72, CB77, SL350 & a little, with the CB450DOHC those sure don't seem problematic. The best I remember, concerning problems with any Honda Twins, has been discovered by some folks, who pick up on one from someone else, for a build and, somewhere, before the last person got the motorcycle, it was treated very badly. That's my opinion on it. Honda has built some fine machines, in my book. ;)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Of the aircooled Hondas, I have owned a C100, CT70, CB160, CB360T, CB450K5 (currently), CB750K3 and a CB750F2. All of them were very reliable. I was only able to break the F2, but Honda repaired it on the warrantee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I must be older than you guys bec. back in the day the 305 Hawk was known as indestructible. I bought a Laverda 750 twin bec it was a copy of the engine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You might be older than some of the guys posting on here, but not sure which one is older, between you and me. I remember when the Hondas started showing up in Central Arkansas, in the early 1960s and the Super Hawk started kicking butt. Yamaha & Suzuki hadn't shown up yet & I hadn't even heard of Kawasaki, at that point. (I''ll be 73 next month. I forget the actual model name of the early 1960's Benly 125 Super Sports, but those were making a big impression as well and the smaller Hondas were being bought up pretty well too. Funny thing is, I knew about the Super Hawk & the CL72 &CL77 Scramblers, but didn't realize there was a CB72 250 Hawk, until I was stationed in Northern Japan, from Dec 1967 - Dec 1069 & bought a CB72, because I couldn't find a CB77 anywhere. So now, how do you and I compare, in age? are you older than me? either way, nice to see your comment. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts