Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently picked up a CB360. i know, i know, its a 360, and its a you love it or hate it bike. it runs well as far as i can tell, and the only thing wrong with it when i picked it up was the electric start didn't work. Now i have another problem, the top bridge of the fork broke. so i cant ride it. this is my first bike, and i hope to learn a lot from you guys at this site, and playing around on my own. I usually travel from NYC up to poughkeepsie so if anyone is around here lets get in contact.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
First, the good news...You don't really need an electric starter.....
Now the bad... Top Bridges are $143.00... IF you can manage to find one......
I usually sell used ones for $50, but am currently out-of-stock...... They are rapidly becoming scarce.... HOWEVER, there are some from other Hondas that will fit and work properly... Are you restoring or just riding?
Steve

·
Registered
608 Posts
66Sprint said:
First, the good news...You don't really need an electric starter.....
it's also usually a fairly easy fix

66Sprint said:
Now the bad... Top Bridges are $143.00... IF you can manage to find one......Steve
I just happen to have one off a 74 360 that I would sell for the $50+shipping
also various other parts and pieces of that 360 availible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the help guys, as of right now I'm only riding. i actually managed to find a free non working condition 360 here near me for free. so we will see how that goes, but if anything i will keep you in mind. as of right now im not thinking of doing a restoration, but i do want to keep it in running shape. i don't mind not having the electric start, i honestly prefer to kick start it. its what i been doing for a few weeks, and it does get the attention of lots of people who usually don't see that kind of thing happen :p

This is the bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's a beautiful bike! If you decide to fix the starter it could be as easy as using some emery cloth to clean the switch contacts inside the housing.

If the starter itself is the problem then just know you have to pull the side cover off to do the swap because the gear will fall out of place but it's also simple also.

Easy enough to check by touching a wire from the positive battery terminal straight to the starter terminal. If the starter spins then your it's okay (make sure the bike is in neutral).

Welcome!

·
Registered
163 Posts
WOW! WHAT a beauty Andrew!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I hope my 500T looks half that good! :cool:

Are you a photographer?? Man those could be posters!

Id blow that top one up and have it framed, its that good IMHO.

WHAT a nice shot bud!! :shock: :shock: :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Wow, Andrew thats clean :shock:

Hows she running then, any hickups? Did you clean the carbs and check your timing?

Keep us posted on her 'personality' :cool:

Lee

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Great pics! Looks like you are pretty talented with a camera.

I rarely use the electric start on my KZ, always use the kick. Really the only time I use the electric is if I stall it in traffic or I'm on a hill. That's the one thing I don't like about my '80 400, its electric only. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hah wow its been a while since i posted, busy with this little thing called life.

im not a pro photographer, but lets just say i hope to be one day. or at least someone who gets paid to take photographs on his free time.

the bike runs, takes a kick or two to actually start up cold. i have had my bike stall on a hill once, in traffic. that was insanely nerve racking, and took some skill i didnt know i had. haha, keeping the bike up, making sure it didn't roll down, making sure it was in neutral, kicking the kick start, and doing it fast. luckily the engine was warm so it took only one kick. i got lots of looks. made me feel special. :oops: i have not cleaned out the carbs yet, or done any tuning. ill be honest, im a little bit afraid to touch anything, and end up ruining it. but i know i need to get dirty. im getting my parts bike this week, so maybe while taking that apart i can see how everything works. I'll start up a project log. update once a year :p

if you want a print out of this, i wouldn't mind making one. but only one, first come first serve! :)

and one last note, the electric start is missing this piece that the previous owner took out. it looks like a ring, and it has springs inside of it. he said one of the springs broke, and that is all it takes to fix it. of course i have no idea where the electric start is, and how to even put the piece back, so its no help to me.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Sounds like one of the springs and guides in the starter clutch itself.....You'll need a tool ($10) or an extra 350 rear axle to remove the alternator rotor... Parts are about $3.00 each (there's 12), but check to see if the housing is cracked first...... We can guide you through this....When you're ready to attempt it....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sounds about right, when you press the electric start button all you hear is a motor spinning. obviously cause that piece is missing. ill start a project log this weekend, when i can take better pictures of everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts