Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
earlier today I put on the piston rings and gaskets and jazz and now Im sitting here, thinking. Before I finish putting the engine together, I had a question. The rings are supposed to be have the gaps at 120 degree spaces from one another. In the fenagling of getting the cylinder head on, I realized it could be quite possible that the 120 degree spaces could be quite jostled and nowhere near 120 degree spaces. How serious is this as an issue and what is the importance of the 120 degree spaces between the gaps? Should I go back and adjust them?

Matt
Minneapolis

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's decently serious, I believe it is to keep the ring corners from gouging the walls when the piston pivots on the pin (or binding/breaking). You'll note in there it says "should not be at right angles to the piston pin", that's why. I think that's the main point, the offsetting is for blowby I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
120 deg, 130 deg. just get them in the ball park. The primary purpose of the spacing is to prevent blow-by. Imagine if all the gaps were line up under each other. You're compression would b compromised because the cylinder pressure has an easy escape route through those gaps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts